Amp recommendation

Username: Dfresh

Post Number: 2
I currently have 2 12" MTX Thunder 4000 subs running off a 400W 2-channel American Pro amp. The subs are wired in series and are rated at 200W RMS and 4 ohms. I think the amp has died since it gets power, but the power light goes off as soon as the subs try to hit. I got this setup from a friend for free so I can't complain.

I really have no experience with amps so I'd appreciate any suggestions. If I need to get a new amp I've read that it would be best to rewire the subs in parallel and get a mono amp. Can anyone suggest a good replacement amp and if wiring them in parallel is better? I'd prefer not to go over $200 if possible. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 178
Have you tried bridging one sub and see if that works? If that 400W 2-channel American Pro amp is the max watts and you have two 12's 4ohms in series, then that's 8 ohms. I guess you have the right gauge hot and ground wire.

Post Number: 3
Haven't tried anything yet. I was trying to find someone else who has some subs I could test this amp on. This setup has been working for over 2 years now and it just quit all of a sudden. I've got a 4-gauge amp kit installed. Could you tell me how I'd go about bridging one sub?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2121
your amp is most likely not getting the power it needs to push a sub. this could be for two reasons. 1) your ground is not good I would check it out and maybe even change it to see how that effects it, and 2) your amp is getting power through the remote wire not the 12 volt so it is getting the power to turn on but when it goes to try and produce power it doesnt have the juice to do it so it shuts off. Check both of those and see what you come up with.

Post Number: 4
I disconnected everything and reconnected and no luck. I even tried just connecting 1 sub and I don't get anything.

jekaial
Unregistered guest
I am selling my XTANT 1001 and asking 700.00obo and still has warranty from manufacture derects. call (425) 985-5415 or email unan0@hotmail.com look up XTANT 1001 i have posted my sell in here with pics if you want to see them.

jekaial
Unregistered guest
I am selling my XTANT 1001 and asking 700.00obo and still has warranty from manufacture derects. call (425) 985-5415 or email unan0@hotmail.com look up XTANT 1001 i have posted my sell in here with pics if you want to see them.

Post Number: 5
I'm not looking to spend over $250, preferably not over $200. Anyone else have any suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us