How to wire 4 ohm sub (x's 2) to 2 ohm/Aftermarket cd player

Username: Flex

Post Number: 1
Hey,
I just got a set of Kicker Comp C104's in box and ported along with an Audiobahn a8000T amp. Both are mono and I was wondering how I can wire the subs to get 2 ohms, or even if I should. As of now I have stock radio (Mach 460 IN-dash 6 cd changer) in my 02' mustang, anyone know if an aftermarket cd player will help much?

Link to amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72.html

Link to actual subs:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-Dual-10-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Package-DC10-/ sem/rpsm/oid/117525/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Sub Specs:

Model C10
Outer Frame Diameter, in (cm) 10 11/16 (27.1)
Nominal Impedance [Zn], ohm [per coil] 2 or 4
Power Handling Watts, Peak (RMS) 300 (150)
Sensitivity [SPLo], dB @ 1W, 1m 87.3
Effective Frequency Range, Hz 30-500
Mounting Depth, in (cm) 4 15/16 (12.5)
Hole Cut-Out Diameter, in (cm) 9 1/4 (23.5)
Equivalent Volume [Vas], ft3 (L) 2.27 (64.38)
Net Displacement, in3 (cc) 60.0 (982.3)
Moving Mass [Mms], oz (g) 3.13 (88.8)
Magnet Weight, oz (kg) 33 (.936)

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 399
an after-market HU will alway give you better SQ. you can hook up that amp to your factory HU if you like though. you'll need a line output converter.

based on the circuit city specs, it looks like the "box" with both subs has an impedence of 4ohm total, which is how you need to hook it up to that amp in order to not overpower those subs. just hook it up how it is.

justin, to be honest with you. you could do a lot better for the money you just spent. you're wasting half of that amps potential by running it at 4ohms, not to mention there is much better for the money than audiobahn. also, those subs are kicker's low end and i would venture to say that box is probably not the best constructed box out there. i dont mean to rip on your system, i'm just saying there's better out there for the $. if i were you i would take that back to circuit city if you can. read these links and ask questions on this forum for a couple weeks, and you'll learn more about car audio than you thought possible, and i promise in the long run you'll be MUCH happier with how your system will sound and you might even spend less $. just my opinion. hope it helps.

Basic Car Audio Electronics
Car Audio Central FAQ section

Username: Flex

Post Number: 2
I will see about the return, but in the mean time, what is comparable in price but better than this current set-up. As of right now, they are hooked up, installed by CC...but they dont sound very loud to say the least at 4ohms. That was why I wanted to try 2 ohm. If you give me a good set up for sub/amp combo that would be awesome.

Restrictions:
2 x 10's (very small trunk space, 02 ford mustang coupe)
13" x13" x about 30" current box fits, much bigger will not.
For recreational use only, just want it to hit hard and not cost a lot. Current set up price was $270+tax for subs(in box) and $350 for audiobahn amp. Wiring is fine, and I may need an After market cd player if it helps noticably. Let me know, I'm a noobie but very impatient....

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1102
you got bent over for that amp :-) i paid 150 for mine :-) if you want the digital volt meter for that amp i'll sell you mine for 20 bucks...retails like 40ish...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us