What Would You Suggest? "SUB"

Username: Grandpa

Post Number: 1
I drive an SUV. I need the space. I have custom installed a sub into the side panel. However the sealed encloser is small. I can physically fit either a 10" or an 8" sub but they sound flat. I have even tried an open air 8". To make matters worse I recently replaced my Sony HU with an Alpine CDA-9851. Both head units offerd sub gain controls. I also have a dedicated amp for the sub. The Alpine out performs the sony in bass & treble but the Sony gave me a much more defined
punch in the Subwoofer. I've ajusted every control I can think of both on the head and the amp. I am tired of buying subs. All I want to do is to add had some good crisp sharp bass. Got any ideas? Grandpa

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1870
well are you saying you want to repplace that s10 or 8 inch sub or are you saying you want to buy another amp and sub for your rear end, and for argument sake, the Alpine Hu is alot better than the sony

Post Number: 2
I agree I like the Alpine much better. The question I've got deals with the size of my sub box. It is so small I think it hurts the sound quality. What can a person do to get the best sound from a small encloser. I think the Alpine is pointing out my real problem.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1872
to make the enclosure "seem" bigger you can get this stuff at walmart or anywhere, the name slips me, someone else can tell you the name lol, and you can add that to make it seem bigger, or get a different sub like an 8 inch RE

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 272
i believe polyfil is the word your looking for and it prolly wouldnt make a huge diff

Username: Rupaul

The big apple, Ny The us of a

Post Number: 4
how big is your amp? and mounting depth? if you have the room look at xxx10 or the brahma 10. if you want an 8 look 8w7 or an image dynamics 8 or the re8

Post Number: 3
I am using a Kenwood KAC 7201 150X2 @4ohms
460RMS bridged
Box is 61/2" deep 8" wide and 8" tall. I can't make it any larger without cutting metal.
David

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 68
Have you thought about porting the enclosure? Just a thought.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1189
with those masurements internal youve got .24 cf of airspace and thats without the space the sub takes up so right there is your problem you need to find a new location. Also 1 pound of polyfill adds about a 10 percent boost in box size.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 120
but u wouldnt add 1lb to .24cf anyways. the rule of them is 1lb of poly to 1cf of airspace. in that size of box u would probably end up frying your voice coil with 1lb

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 825
What SUV do you have? A number of manufacturers make enclosures specifically designed to take advantage of all available airspace in the location you describe.

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/EXPL.html

I own one of JL's older, cheaper, plastic Vantage enclosures loaded with a 10w0-4 about 2/3rd's filled with pillow stuffing. Whenever I go on long trips and need that extra space for luggage, etc. I simply yank out my normal 3.25 ft^3 enclosure and run the Vantage.

Its not nearly as loud and is a bit lacking in low end, but with a lil help from a 1 band parametric EQ it sounds pretty decent. It actually sounds "better" for classical music and the like especially when the rear of my Explorer is crammed full of stuff. Very smooth response.

Be forwarned. These JL stealthboxes are NOT cheap, but you might be able to utilize one of your present 10's if they normally do well in smallish enclosures.

If you've had experience with fiberglass you could also try building your own custom enclosure that conforms to the nooks and crannies of your available space.

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/fiberglass_layers.htm

There's a couple links at the bottom that go into more detail.

I know you're not in the mood to hear another subwoofer suggestion but if you're sorely limited in space JL's 6w0's are another option.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

They are a "true" 6 1/2" subwoofer, not a mere midrange, and do well in very small enclosures around .16 ft^3 or so. They have a lil less low end extension compared to a typical 8" sub and due to the reduced cone area will have less output as well, but if your looking for something punchy to fill in your lows they might do nicely, especially if you have more than one mounting location available and can utilize more than one driver.

Hope that helped.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1190
yeah polyfill in a enclosure of that size isnt a good thing but I agree with fishy a 6.5 is an option basically a 6.5 mid bass speaker

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 827
The 6w0's are honest to goodness subwoofers designed to be utilized in small enclosures. Most 6 1/2's you see out there are midbass drivers designed for infinite baffle applications(Koda 6, etc). The 6w0 is a different beast more akin to the vintage RF sp64 and 68's(ne1 remember those kickorz 6 1/2's?. I wore a bunch of those out. :P). I just purchased a pair of 6w0's which I'll be running in my Explorer's rear stock speaker locations(built a pair of .17 ft^3 enclosures). My 5 1/4's need help in the midbass department so I'd thought I'd give these a try bandpassed from like 60-300 hz, but I can just about guarantee I'll be testing them as pure subs as well(say < 150 Hz) just to see how they perform in that department.

They sure are neat lookin lil guys. Wish my amp would hurry up and get here.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1195
hey fish where did you get those jls 6's and how much did they cost and what type of power im lookin for low power small box bass

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 828
I got a special deal in my e-mail from Tweeter for 25% off on all their speakers. So I went down to my local Sound Advice and picked up a pair for I think $67 each with tax. I also picked up a pair of 10w6's for 300 ea, but thats another story(they went back). I saw the 6w0's online somewhere for $95. They're rated for 75 watts rms, but I ran one of them off my home amp(200 watts @ 4 0hm eek!) full range and it sounded pretty darn good. I've got a couple Xtant 1.1i's on the way. Once they get here I'll see how they do in-car. I probably only need one of those lil amps for rear fill but I orderd two in case I ever want try the 6w0's up front in some kicks.

I bet you could make some killer lil bandpass boxes with them things.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us