Distortion?

marckm05
Unregistered guest
I have recently installed an mtx, mxa6001 amp in my truck, along with 2 Alpine swr-1021d subs. The subs are duel 2 ohm subs, 1000 watt max 300 rms. The amp is 1000 max, 600 rms at 2 ohms. This should really thump?? Shouldn't it. They are installed in paralell to a 2 ohm load. They do work decent, but not what one would think 600 watts of power would sound like. My headunit is slightly cheap, a panasonic deck, it cost me I think around 200 bucks canadian around 2 years ago. would this be my problem with distortion at higher levels. I still have yet to switch to a 4 guage battery/ground wire, currently running with 8 g. could this be my problem? Or could it be that they are in around .8 cu ft boxes? This is what they call for, .5 to .8 cu ft. thought someone could help

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 167
You need to change the hot wire and ground to 4 gauge and you should see some improvement. The amp can only put out what it gets from the head unit.

marckm05
Unregistered guest
Alright, so if I changed my head unit with a better one, there should be less distortion at higher level? as well as change to a 4 guage kit. How important are good stereo cables? Mine are decent, but should I upgrade all that small stuff? such as stereo cables, battery/ground cable.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 118
there very important...like the saying, the cahin is only as strong as its weakest link

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 826
New RCA cables won't add anything to the thump factor and new power wires won't either unless your amp is seriously starved for power which I doubt. New RCA's might help if you have a noise problem and bigger is always better when it comes to power wire, but to be honest I'll doubt you'll notice a significant increase in output going 4 gauge.

Whats the preout voltage on that Panasonic? and have you tried turning the gains up some on that amp? A new h/u with 4 volt+ preouts might help drive that amp a bit better, but if you're looking for a significant increase in bass output I'd say switching to a ported enclosure would be your best bet.

-Fishy

marckm05
Unregistered guest
I may be able to make my enclosure a max of about 1.8 cu ft. Would this be enough to port the enclosure? It's a slight comlicated enclosrure. But I may be able to make it larger if I can go without my 6x9's behind my seats. I would post a drawn picture of my box from ms paint, but you can only upload a stupid 1 kb pic.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1193
Also typically (some exceptions) a smaller box size will produce more spl but a larger box will produce a better sound and be able to hit the lower tones better (if the sub calls for .50 to .80 youd probably hear and spl increase but probably no more than 2 db in my opinion. Also a ported box like fishy suggests will add an average of a 3 db increase

Gold Member

Post Number: 1194
if you were going to build a new box and make it ported another trick you could do to further increase your spl would be a baffle inside the box adding another possible 3db increase ...a total of 6 db inrease from your original design...ill get you the link to that idea

Gold Member

Post Number: 1196
heres the link to the baffle idea

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/318757/4

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 830
If you've only got 1.8 ft^3 to work with then your probably best off the way you have it. I wouldn't go with a smaller box. IMO most manufacturer's smallest recommended sealed enclosures usually sound like @$$.

If you have some decent components up front(at least 6 1/2's) with some good power lose those 6x9's. They may be adding a good deal of midbass, but are probably screwing up your front stage's imaging at the same time.

-Fishy

marckm05
Unregistered guest
Yes, remember, I am running these subs in a truck... Very Very tight. Regular cab also. Its a 94 ford ranger. The box takes up all the most possible room behind my seats, angled, with a bank on each end to direct the 6x9's out to the side of the seats, so they are not facing directly at the seats. If you can understand that. I havn't cut the holes for the 6x9's yet. This is all one box, the 6x9's are cut off from the area the subs are using, which is about 1.4 cu ft. If I take out the piece that keeps them seperated, and not put the 6x9's in, would this be a better idea. Or would the odd shape create some odd noises? And if i did this, would you suggest installing a port, and how would I go about figuring the length and placement of the port?

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 844
This is all one box, the 6x9's are cut off from the area the subs are using, which is about 1.4 cu ft. If I take out the piece that keeps them seperated, and not put the 6x9's in, would this be a better idea.

yep

If you can knock out those dividers figure out the "new" airspace and get a recommended tuning frequency. You're going to want to lose the 6x9's as having them play in the same airspace isn't a good idea(plus they will decrease the effective airspace your subs are playing in). You'll have to cover those 6x9 holes up somehow. You could build a plate with the appropriate port already installed and just drop it in. I'd try a simple plate to start with and see if the added airspace helps any. It may not be louder, but it should increase low end extension a bit.

Just realize that once you knock out those dividers you're committed to not utilizing those 6x9's. Might want to cut some holes into those dividers with a hole saw that can be "patched" just in case you want your 6x9's back.

-Fishy

marckm05
Unregistered guest
Awsome, i'll do that.. Hopefully i can.. It may be a bit of a task, but i hope I can do it without ruining the box. it took a while to build
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us