What size of sealed box should i put my 15" alpine type R in??!?

Username: Blair182

Borden, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 3
I bought an alpine type R 15 an i'm just lookin for some help on how big i should make a box for it, if anyone could help out that knows what this sub sounds good in that would be awesome! I'm running it with the Alpine mrd-m501 amp. Should be good

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 268
im running the same thing in my car right now i made a 3.8 cu ft sealed box and it pounds so hard.. alpine does recommend 1.5 -2.5 ft^3 -- that is for the old type r though.. if u have the new one(2005) i have no idea

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 174
i had one in a 2 cubic foot box, sealed, sounded good but really dropped off over 50 hertz, but it hit so low.

the new specs should be on the web site for the 05's

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 269
naw the fckers havent posted any tech info yet .. the subs have been out for so long now

Post Number: 4
I do have the '04 (older) model. If i do make it 3.8 cu. ft. How should i do it.. square box? if u could give me the Length, Width and Height of the box that would help a great bunch!
thanks, Blair

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1187
28.5 15.5 15 =3.83 internal so it would be 30.0 x 17 x 16.5 external measurements for 3.83 cubic ft. of airspace for the 15 then minus the amount of room the sub takes up and thats your usable airspace and port if you add one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1188
a pound of polyfill will add about a 10 percent boost in airspace if you need or want to use it an inch of fiberglass insulation on the walls will do the same if you want to use that instead.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 274
fibreglass insulation inside the box? that cant be good for the sub

Post Number: 5
I do plan on putting insulation in it with that big of a box, it doesn't harm the sub. I'm puttin this thing in an '03 civic SSE coupe (not hatchback). so u say 30.0 x 17 x 16.5 ?? how thick of mdf should i use?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
to marks comment I wanna say the fiberglass insulation i was speaking of is actually acoustic fiberglass insulation. The reason i meantioned it was because years ago i used it because radio shack sold the stuff and it could be glued to the walls and was about a half inch thick. That was before i knew about polyfill. (mark) The thickness of mdf I use is .75 of and inch and that was what i assumed youd use in my example above 30 x 17 x 16.5 is external measurements including the 1.5 inch total added for each .75 piece of wood per side. How many pounds or inches of insulation are you going to add?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1192
if you want to figure out new demensions for a desired cubic feet of airspace its length times width times height then divide the number you get by 1728 and that will be your cubic feet......but remember that will be what you need internal not external

Post Number: 6
anymore suggestions out there???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us