Clipping question....

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 61
While listening to your subs...how will you know if the amp is clipping. I just want to know some signs of clipping for when i get mine all set up. thanks guys.

goon

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2157
Trying to find clipping via ears is very hard, especially at high volumes.
In a controlled environment, you will have to listen to the same tone over and over till you get used to a clean sound. Then force the amp to clip (this will damage/distroy your sub/amp). Instead of producing clean sound wave, it'll start dropping, giving you "distorted" sound. Best way to see it is via oscilloscope/clip meter.
If you are not electronically advanced, then I'd suggest buying high quality amps. They tend to clip much less than Sony/Pyramid/Lanzar/Pyle/Hifonics/Boss etc.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 488
how bad do orion amps clip? specifically the old Orion XTR 1000 class d mono block from like '91 or '92. i just got one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2159
You purchased one of the good ones. All amps can be made to clip, some almost do it themselves like Pyramid/Sony crap.

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 62
I got a ppi pcx 1250....i heard they were excellent amps, how do those fair when it comes to clipping? how much do those meters go for generaly? thanks for all the help guys.

goon

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnysanz3

Post Number: 22
hey isaac how about the audiobahn a8000t amp, how about that? and also whats a good way to set the input sensitivity on that? u think that amp actually is putting out 800 watts at 2ohms? and also, what do u think causes the sub to be louder or softer at times on the same song?

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
That orion amp is bulletproof....if amps were still made as well as the early 90's orions we would be paying about $10,000 for a 1000 watt monoblock. You know there are alot of people who would pay alot of money for an old orion like that.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 491
dude i hear ya on that. im getting that b!tch as soon as i get enuff money. im using my friends right now. IT SLAMS THAT SX 12!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2160
Johnnysanz3, A8000T is a good amp for the money. You probably won't find one cheaper than that.
Set the level control to your HU's preout voltage. Most are 4v, so it should be close to half way on A8000T. I am not sure if you'll get 800w rms of clean power @ 2ohms. Only one way to find out, measure the current flow of the amp.
As for sound variation, on same song, check your voltage and current. An amp should deliver same output power when given constant power supply. In a car, that can fluctuate depending on devices used at the same time and rpm speed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I think my head unit pre out voltage is 2v, so is that like 1/4 way?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
how do i measure the current flow?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2161
You don't want to guess what your HU's voltage is. Check your owner's manual.
With a DMM, you can measure the current flow of the amp. So for example, let's say at or near 85% volume level, the amp draws 40A. If you take that and multiply by 12v, it'll give you an approximate power the amp is putting out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
ya, i got the voltage from the owners manual, i just had to go back and check in case i read wrong. And just by listening to it it seems anywhere past 1/4 or 3/8 gain it will start to distort/rattle or something...sometimes i cant tell whether its the crappy box or the sub distorting. Now once i set my gain, if i turn stuff up like bass boost on the amp, will that send it in to clippping? Can i adjust that freely?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2165
Bass boost control can and will alter gain settings. So just cause the gain/level is set according to the HU's voltage, it dosen't mean you can ignore/abuse the bass boost.
Use it wisely.
A good HU will most likely start to distort around 85% volume setting. Cheaper units will start much sooner. I find on my JVC dvd player, it will distort around 85%-90%.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
i have a pioneer, i only go 3/4 volume with it, i never go higher, its 2.2volts. I set the gain like 1/4, 3/8 way plus if i go any higher than that it seems to distort, its just that its not powerful, it sounds weak, but if i go up any higher it rattles/distorts, but I'm all paranoid about it now that I might be hearing my car rattling instead of the sub or something, i dont know...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us