My Amp Keeps Kicking Off Help Me!

Username: Xxjasinxx

Post Number: 3
I'm kinda new to this, so bear with me. I have 2 12 inch Pioneer Premiers hooked up in 2 ohm in a vented box with a 1200 watt Boss Chaos amp. I am using 8 guage power and ground. I have a 60 amp in line fuse. In the amp I use 2 30 amp blades. I have a good ground, sanded down to bare metal. My amp turns off after about 10 or 15 minutes of thumping. It can make my subs thump real good and then out of nowhere it turns off. I just need to know how to keep em thumpin and get rid of this damn problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelheadgoof

Fairfield, California US

Post Number: 42
Try it in your garage, or somewhere when the car is not moving. This why you can tell if it is a connection problem or an amp probelm. If it shts off when the car is perfectly still, more than likley get a new amp. If it works fine, then (and you should do this first anyway) trace your power wire back to the battery and make sure it is not grounding out anywhere. Also it could be a voltage drop from too much amperage being pulled into the amp. If it is a voltage drop buy a capacitor for your amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Hittmann

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 22
do you get power overload light on??
is it overheating??
do you have a DMM??

I think you may have a dodgy inline fuse. check the voltage each side of the fuse when the amp has cut out. If you dont have 12v or more on each side then replace the fuse.

If you do get same voltage on both sides test the voltae of the remote wire (when the amp is cut out)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
do you get power overload light on??
is it overheating??
do you have a DMM??

I think you may have a dodgy inline fuse. check the voltage each side of the fuse when the amp has cut out. If you dont have 12v or more on each side then replace the fuse.

If you do get same voltage on both sides test the voltae of the remote wire (when the amp is cut out)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
bugga didnt mean to dbl post

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 166
If you hot wire is over 7 feet long then you need 6 gauge, over 10 feet and you need 4 gauge. But I don't think that is the problem. I will guess the subs are wire to low in ohms for the amp. That amp is only stable at 2 ohms and 4 ohms bridged. If you have it bridged then the amp is running 1 ohms from each channel. Sounds like it's getting to hot and cutting out. Take it out of the bridged mode and hook it to just one channel and see will it work right. 2 ohms should work fine on one channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us