2 Alternators Together on a Honda Civic 1991 - 75A for car starter and 120A for Audio Only....

Anonymous

Would 2 alternators work better than 1 alternator ?? Does anybody know something about 2 alternators simultaniously ... 1 charging the car battery and one charging the Audio System Battery (yellow optima battery)? My mechanic is making me this system would it be a good system for my 1300watts System ?

Bronze Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 23
sure you can run two alternators. nothing wrong with that.. it's just more work in general but if ya got someone to do it, go for it.

MrAlternator
Unregistered guest
Yep my honda civic can have 2 alternators simultaneously and it would be cheaper than buying a 200A alternator .... It will cost about $70 including the alternator :-) So glasswolf my mechanic told me that it will work with 2 alternators and they would fit. All i have to do is put another battery in my hatchback near my subwoofer . But i still have a question for you .. Why doesn't Anybody Have a system like this from the formus i've accessed ? Is It a bad system having 2 alternators ? Will the sound Pound less than 1 unique alternator ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1358
generally its more work to install two alternators due to needing to fit both under the hood on smaller cars.
it's easier to put a single high output alternator in the car to handle everything with a battery isolator.
you'll want an optima yellow top in back. they run about $160 each.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Post Number: 27
So Glasswolf for a PD-4000 Amplifier 1700RMS + a SOUNDSTREAM EGA4220 200RMS X 4 channel amp ... how much Amps would i use from a 120A Alternator ? I'll be having a power acoustik mofo 12 hooked up to the pd 4000 bridged to mono and i'll have 60.5 infinity components and a pair of kenwood 6X9's to the SOUNDSTREAM EGA4220.

Would It be Enough 120A?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1446
if those are true, accurate power ratings for the two amps, and the 1700W is class D, and the 200Wx4 is class AB, at peak output, you'll draw about 270 amps.
you want a 300A+ alternator. that 120A won't hack it

Anonymous

how much watts would i put out from a 120A only for audio alternator ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1459
Depends on amplifier efficiency.
Class D is about 80% efficient.
Class AB is about 60% efficient.

take the RMS wattage of the amplifier, and divide by 12. Then take that result and multiply by the efficiency (say result*1.2 for class D or 1.6 for classAB) and that's your approximate current draw peak. Or, just look up max current in the amp's manual/specs.
then, add the amplifiers together.

MAx
Unregistered guest
So aproxx it will put 1200 watts RMS from a class D amp .. i need about 280A to drive the 2 amps at full power ... Thats a lot ...mmm the pd-4000 class d amp is 4000max power and about 1700watts RMS ... The soundstream is 220*4 at 2 ohms but i'm going to use it at 4 ohms so 110*4 ..

David Maloney
Unregistered guest
I have a 1991 honda civic and it has a rocford 2400 watt amp w/2 12 inch cerwin vega subs. I would like to know what you would recomend as far as an alternator, and if so a voltage regulator to handle the bigger alternator. thanx

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1473
David, for God's sake, ONCE is enough.
stop cross-posting.
Also, stop hijacking other peoples' threads. Start your own topic, and keep it there.

Bronze Member
Username: Maxkilla

Malta

Post Number: 29
So Glasswolf if i have 120A for my system would i put out all the power from my amps and speakers ? Would i have a loud system ?? What does the alternator effect? Does it make all the RMS power come out from the amplifier and speakers ??? And if i say i distinguish a 120A alternator sound system with 2800watts RMS and a 300A Alternator sound system with 2800watts RMS ... What will be the Main loses with the 120A ???

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1505
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

see if that helps at all.

bdm
Unregistered guest
GlassWolf I am trying to do the same thing with the two alternators but right now all i have is one on two batteries. The two batteries are connected to eachother. I realize its not helping right now with out second alt. Would i dissconect the batts from each other and have 1 alt on one batt and keep them seperate. thanks

Username: Densteele

Burlingame, Ca Usa

Post Number: 1
does anone know the current output (in amps) of a stock 2003 Honda Civic LX alternator/? Dennis

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2642
about 65A

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 22
All honda stock alternators are just designed for the car and not an ampere more, (generally under 70 amps) even a small system requires power modifications to most civics and preludes (preludes pre 1997) to adequately power an audio system.

Username: Zneon

Durango, Durango Mxico

Post Number: 3
how's that possible?, cuz i have a 600 watt rms at 1ohm class-D amp at full power and a 4x75Watts rms at 4 ohms at full power. that's about 800 more or less in the same civic, i also have a DVD, a TFT screen and the halogen lighs. If what u say is true, then where do the amps take that amount of power, the battery and alternator are stock.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3730
the amps you have are 600 watts and 300 watts at full output, aka full volume.
every time you reduce the volume audibly by half, you reduce the power consumption tenfold.
so, 900 watts of amps, with the volume reduced by half of full output, is only about 90 watts.
reduced by half again is down to about 9 watts.

Unregistered guest
You might want to try here.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical/0206cae_alternator/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us