Quick Help, don't know much

bluejays99
Unregistered guest
Do you need a new head unit to power subs so they hit hard or can you use a stock one. I have a 02 Ford SUV. I was wondering if I could use my stock head unit so I could keep my 6 CD changer. I always thought you needed a new head unit, but my friend runs his sub off a stock head unit and it sounds loud.

Does anyone know?

Silver Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 152
well you can use it, but you have to get an amp with speaker level inputs. then you can run the wire from your stock HU to your amp (its the same wire that runs to your speakers) and then hook it up to the speaker level inputs. then get speaker wire to hook up the subs to the positive and negative terminals of the amp.

Username: Iceflamekilla

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 5
Subs will sound ok with a stock unit. There has to be a line converter to make the sub compatible with the stock radio though. Most aftermarket radios do not require line converters because they have a set of preouts and there own subwoofer controls. I will say though that i had my sub installed before i purchased a new head unit and the difference was phenominal. My particular deck has a set of 4 volt preouts making my sub hit a lot harder. If you want the full potential from your sub, then i recommend getting an aftermarket head unit, especially one with a set of high voltage preouts (4 volts or higher). The sound will also be alot cleaner as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us