Can you use a Car head unit for home audio

Anonymous

I bought a car head unit on ebay for my future car, but i was wondering if you can hook it up to play cds with a car amp and a powersupply in my home. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Hittmann

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 17
have you ever seen a car audio display in a car audio shop??

the answer is yes, but you will need a high amp car battery charger that doesnt have differnet cycles, hi amps all the time.

Bronze Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 15
Yeah, I do it all the time, which I know seems unethical, but the Pioneer DEX-P1R I have hooked up to my JBL receiver sounds better than any home audio CD player within a 300 dollar price range, and I only payed 140 for my Pioneer.

The key to this working is the right amount of amperage. I bought a twelve volt DC power supply that puts out four amps max and it has been more than efficient in powering any CD player and a single speaker(and my Pioneer which is preout only thus requiring very little power). If you want all four speakers to play loud without distortion, look for something that puts out about 15 amperes.You will know when the amperage is too low when the unit shuts off and on from doing things that require more power i.e. Turning the volume up, playing a CD as opposed to using the tuner, using more than one speaker.

I wouldn't suggest hooking up an amplifier because of the tremendous amount of amperage you will need to power it properly, and by the time you do that, a home receiever will have been a much better choice.

If you have any more questions, you can email me at spinsharp@gmail.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us