How do I set this up?

Username: Antiduke

Post Number: 3
Hey guys,
I have a 10" IDQ10 DVC sub which is 2 ohms. I also have a Phoenix Gold 100.4 amp which is stable down to 2 ohms bridged. So I know I want to bridge two channels to the sub but how do I wire it? Should I just wire it parallel or in series? If you could point me to some detailed instructions, that would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Antiduke

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 152
It's just one sub DVC and 2 ohms right. Are you sure the amp is stable at 2ohms when bridged. If you bridge at 2 ohms that is going to pull 1ohms from each channel.

Post Number: 4
Yes, I am sure it is stable at 2 ohms bridged. It is stable at 1 ohm mono from each channel. But I believe that I have to series it because if I do it parallel the amp will need to be able to do 1 ohm bridged, correct? With it connected in series, it will actually be 4 ohms right?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 153
What I found is the Phoenix Gold XENON 100.4 100W. This amp is stable at 2ohms when bridged. Each channel is 1 ohms stable also.
100W x 4 (4-1 ohm stereo)
200W x 2 (8-2 ohm bridged)
DVC sub which is 2 ohms can be wired at 1 or 4 ohms not 2 ohms. You can hook one channel to each voice coil.

Bronze Member
Username: Point78

El cajon, Ca

Post Number: 28
would hooking up one channel to each voice coil hurt the sub?

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 144
Point it can and its not recomended.

Bi-amping a sub involves alot of precision. The gains must be synced (in this case a 4ch both front and rear gains). Even hooking up two amplifiers one to each voice coil is the same way. There are some aplifiers that allow strapping (master/slave) where you can setup such a thing. I am not sure how thats all setup but its possible. But if one gain is out os sync with the other your going to damage the sub.

Post Number: 5
So basically, its better off for me to just wire them in series?

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 147
yes with that setup wire the DVC 2ohm in series to 4ohm. Since it is not 1ohm stable i dont see any other setup with that amp.

Post Number: 6
So would it have been better for me to have gone with the same sub but the 4 ohm dual voice coil? And then wired them in parallel giving me a 2 ohm load? Would it sound any different?

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 150
Pushing the sub @ 2ohm vs 4ohm would make the amplifier...

-Put out more power.
but
-Run a little hotter.
-Lower Dampening Factor. (A 4ohm speaker would have tighter bass over a 2ohm speaker.)

At your power levels you wont notice that much of a difference. So if its not a big deal or if you havent opened it yet. Get the 4ohm to get the most power.

If you cant, you'll be fine. Or down the road consider keeping the 4ch to power coaxials and then invest in an additional amp dedicated to the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us