Help with replacing my Kappa Perfect components

Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 1
I am looking for some expert advice on a new component set for my car. I have the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's right now and they are way too bright and harsh even with the tweeters set at -4db. I want a warm, smooth, more natural sounding component set and would like some opinions on what brands to consider. I have a Phoenix Gold amp that is pushing 200 watts rms to each channel for the speakers so power shouldn't be an issue. I have thought about Phoenix Gold's X6.5 or Ti6 comp elite, CDT's CL-62 (possibly the ES-620's if the guy on the other forum still has them for $300), JL Audio's XR650CSi, Polk's Momo MM6, and Focal's 165KP polykevlar set. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as there are no shops around here that carry them (so I can't demo them myself). Thanks very much.

Username: Tritonstudio

Post Number: 1
for any infinity speakers, it takes at least 2-3 weeks to past its break-in period. Right now it very bright & hash right in your ears. So don't do anything yet but just be patient & wait. You will hear the real better warmer sound from the perfect 6.1; the hash high sound will be gone away after that. You may need to set at least +2 to the high I would think. I need to do that too for my set.

skyliner17
Unregistered guest
i agree with dan. my perfects were very bright at first too with 100 watts to them. but now after a month, they sound great and clear.

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 4
The problem is that mine still sound bright and harsh and I've had them for almost a month already. I just think that I need to look for a more natural, smoother sounding set (probably one with a soft dome tweeter). Among the sets I mentioned I was interested in before, I've also been hearing praise about Adire's and DLS's. Can anyone give me their opinion on these two and the other sets mentioned? Jonathon, Glasswolf, anyone? Thanks

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 7
I'm still looking for some help with this. Anybody have any info?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3568
Depends on the price range. Look into Adire Audio Koda, Morel, Dynaudio, CDT, Rainbow, DLS, all offer great component sets, just depends on what you like exactly. The Perfects do tend to be a little bright at times.

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 8
My price range is probably up to mid $300's. The CDT HD series, Image Dynamics CXS64's, Adire Kodas, Polk Momo MM6's, JL XR650's, and PG's Ti6 Comp Elite sets are all in that price range, but I have no way of listening to any of them. Could you give me a quick analysis of how they compare to one another? As I mentioned earlier, I want a set that has a more natural, smooth sound and better midbass. I think a soft/silk dome tweeter may be better for my tastes, but an aluminum dome that is smoother may be okay too. However, I definitely need more midbass as well (the Perfects seem very weak in the midbass region). Also, would any of these sets work better in an off-axis install with the tweeter in the sail panel, or should I consider using kick panels instead? Quality sound is very important to me. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3572
With what you want and the sets you listed, I think you'd like the HDs the most. Great midbass, very smooth, work well off axis or in kick panels, and work well with tweets up top, a very good all around set. Adire Kodas are great too, not quite as smooth in the tweeter area, but midbass is a little better and off axis performance is great. The Perfects aren't that bad in the midbass department after they've loosened up, but the set still tends lack a little at times and the tweeter can still be bright.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us