Honda Accord / Acura TSX 2004 sound improvements?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 357
Hi guys,

Anybody out there with experience on this subject? I have the premium system (without GPS): 6-CD changer behind dashboard and 8 speakers, of which rear ovals are used as subwoofers. IMO sounds OK, but I would like to improve.

So I would appreciate hints on how to do this, without altering interior of my car. I post here in speaker forum, but info on amps, equalizing etc ar also most welcome. Components that goes together with original Radio CD and fit into my car without too much DIY.

Many thanks in advance
AL

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 607
Arnold what model accord do you have V6 ex or what?

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 358
It's a Honda Accord 2.4 Executive, 6-shift manual, built in Japan for European market (ex-GB). AFAIK this model resembles to an Acura TSX with all extras included except touchscreen GPS.

Cheers
AL

BTW: Honda and Acura owners abroad most welcome to visit our forum at http://www.clubhondaspirit.com

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 407
your biggest improvement in SQ will come with the addition of an amplifier. you can use one without uprgading your head unit by the use of a line output converter.
i believe that accord has 5.25" and tweeters up front correct? if so, look for a new set of components made by Rainbow, Dynaudio, Morel, Focal, CDT, or any other high end brand. those should be powered by the aplifier, crossed over at 100-125hz. for your rear side speakers, leave those stock, powered by the headunit, and bandpass filtered at approx 200hz - 3khz for the best rear fill.
lastly, dump those oval speakers. you can either get a single 10" or 12" sub in a small sealed box in your trunk and leave the grill covers on the empty speaker holes in the rear deck to allow sound to pass through, or if you dont want to mess with that, i'm pretty sure you can fit 6.5" round speakers in the back deck, so look for a set of midbass speakers or if you can fit 8" speakers try to find some free-air 8" subs and stick them in there. of course, either will need to be powered by an amp, either the bridged rear channels of a 4 channel amp or by their own amp, mono signal crossed over at around 80 or 100hz.
that, my friend, would be a vast improvement in SQ while still maintaing the stock look.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 360
Thanks a lot for thourough answer!
Regarding amp, any hope finding a good one that fits where original is now?

Cheers
AL

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 632
Arnold I see one problem. Since your radio comes with a factory amp then line out converters will not work. So you wll have to change your deck out too. If you dedide to run some hight end components (like the focals) I wouldn't want to use a line out converter anyways. They suck in SQ compared to after market decks. Other than that he was right on. You best bet is going to be a nice component set, and a single 10 or 12 in the trunk. I would try to put both amps in the trunk along with the sub box, and stay away from the factory amp location. They tend to stick it were they can, and don't really leave enough area for cooling and such.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 412
good point jeremy. didnt realize there was a factory external amp. and i definitely agree that an aftermarket HU will be much better for SQ. arnold, if you can do it, your best bet will definitely be to get a new HU. look for one by alpine, eclipse, or pioneer premier that has the same color illumination as the rest of your car. in my case, everything was green so i went with alpine. some decks even have the option to change the color of the backlighting.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 361
Hmm, so there is some weird interconnect between factory mounted deck and amp? I.e. impossible to substitute one unit only?

Thanks again
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us