Help with head unit installation

captmorgan89
Unregistered guest
ok here is my problem, i am 16 years old and am going to try and install a new head unit in my 93 dodge shadow. i have the wiring diagram and all that but in the manual it tells me that i have to disconnect the negative battery terminal. now my question is, will it hurt the car at all to disconnect the terminal while i install the unit? my dad says it will but i dont see the harm at all. the other thing was as long as i have the diagram for the wires to the new harness, all i need to do is splice them to the wire that is the correct matching one on the diagram right? thanks for the help!

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 144
you want to disconnect the negitive battery termninal to keep yourself from getting shocked while installing. you can either splice the wires of get a wire harness

captmorgan89
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help. would a wiring harness be alot less hard to use or if i know what wire goes where should i save myself a few bucks and just splice?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 145
a harness would be a straight plug into the HU and into your car, no guess work, little room for error, less work. you can save a few bucks and splice, but you'll have to cut the stock plug off, and some prople don't wanna do that

captmorgan89
Unregistered guest
And one more question, would i have to disconnect the battery if i got the harness? i appreciate all the help

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 153
your suppose to, but i've done it without disconnecting with no problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us