Who makes best tweeters?

Username: Johnnysanz3

Post Number: 3
At a decent price? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1577
i cant say the best, all music is how YOU hear it, but when looking at tweeters try to look at somen that is solid and light, like the alluminum tweeters some speakers have, or infiniti have the CMMD composite material that works well

Post Number: 5
i have an amp that puts out 50 watts rms per channel, so i want to find the best tweeters i can get that are in the 50 watt rms range

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1587
how much money do you want to spend?

Post Number: 7
less than 100 prolly, i dont want to waste too much on my P.O.S. car

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1589
i would suggest infiniti references

Post Number: 8
i checked up on the infinity tweeters, and both the refernces and kappa 10.5t tweeters both are 50w rms, so u think its worth the extra 20 dollars(kappa -59, refernce - 39, (on ebay)) for the kappa ones with the CMMD in it or whatever?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1611
yea i would say, i just had a ffriend blow all his references in his jeep

Post Number: 9
damn that sux, what was the cause??..... i think im gonna go with the infinity kappa 10.5t unless i learn of something else, or someone else gives me other ideas..ill wait for a good deal on ebay

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1618
Mb quartz are great as well for the price, but he blew them because me and him just love loud music, and they couldnt really handle the 50 watts we were giving them i guess, he also had the bass set all the way up like a dumba$$ on the HU lol

Post Number: 10
ok, mb quart dte-13 or infinity kappa 10.5t? i think its between those two so far

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
also, the mb quart line of tweeters that are 6 ohms, whats the deal with that?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3550
I prefer a good soft dome, but those Infinity tweets are great for the price. Also look at CDT, JL Audio, MB Quart, Focal, there are a few others as well. Depends on how cheap you're talking about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what does CDT stand for? And I already have two ways in my doors that have a pretty loud tweeter on em(speakers left over from another system) but i still want to get another tweeter that is more natural for my dash/window panels or wherever i decide to put them

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
and they need to be in the 50 watt RMS range, since that is what my amp currenlty outputs, and i dont want to upgrade the amp

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3552
CDT, CD Technologies.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/
You can search prices here:
http://www.woofersetc.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=239&1=242&2=1094

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
some of that stuff does look nice, I couldnt find on the site tho they're power handling

dave21
Unregistered guest
what is the differnce between soft dome, metal dome, silk, and titanium tweeters. which is best.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3566
It's not as cut and dry as just the material used for the dome, but it does affect the resonant properties.

Silk dome, textile dome (soft dome) tweeters are a bit heavier typically, but dampen themselves better than metal tweeters and the resonance peaks aren't as large or prominent typically. The tonal characteristics of soft domes are generally more pleasing to those who like a neutral, warm, airy sound. A great soft dome (Dynaudio, Rainbow, Seas, Vifa, Morel, etc.) has a very well coated dome that is light, strong, and dampens very well at the same time. Motors will match as well via an acoustic volume below the tweeter, basically a system that minimizes resonance and controls the tweeter well. These tweeters have good efficiency, a very low free air resonant frequency (below 1,000 hz) and an extremely flat frequency response as well. The natural tonality tends to blend very well with the midrange/midbass, and the sound is very transparent, neutral, and airy when designed correctly. A bad soft dome will be muddy and lack detail and shimmer, and some can still be characteristically bright or edgy.

All metal domes have two resonances, free air and the resonance of the dome itself. Usually free air resonance is around 1000-2000hz, while the drivers resonance is typically somewhere above 20khz, many center around 25khz and the resonance is very wide and high, sometimes ranging from 22khz-28khz and as much as 10db higher than the rest of the response. We can't hear 25khz, but harmonics can affect other frequencies and contribute to a metal dome sounding like metal. A bad metal dome can sound bright, harsh, ringy, forward and stick out like a sore thumb. A good metal dome uses a softer anodized metal that has self damping, and a suspension to match. Metal domes can be lighter/stronger than soft domes, titanium is more so, but also more resonant. If well designed, the metal dome provides a crisp sound that is a bit more forward, the detail is more aggressive and tends to pop out at you a bit more, but still capable of blending in with the midwoofer well and providing great sound quality.

All are capable of excellent sound quality, but they all have differing tonal characteristics. Some people will say a certain type tweeter is more accurate, but more often than not it simply fools them because that tweeter is more aggressive, more bright, more resonant at that frequency, etc. Basically, you should choose on what you like the sound of. There are harsh soft domes and neutral metal domes, and vice versa, you have to listen to the individual driver instead of just relying on the dome material.

dave21
Unregistered guest
thanks alot Johnathan for the info.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us