Alternator Help (Isaac, Jonathan, "Smart People")

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 73
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus. I have discovered that I have a 130 amp alternator. With all accesories on the car uses 58 amps. For all the non math majors out their, this leave me with 72 amps of play time (at night while raining and incredibly hot to have all accesories running). I will be running a PPI PC2300.2 (75x2rms at 4 ohms 12V) to power my front speakers. How many amps will this use? And with what I have left what is the largest amp I can get for subs?

Username: Abew330

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 7
man, u can use anything u want.. having the strongest alternator or smallest one.. eventually your battery will die and lights will dim..

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 721
That amp MAY draw 15 amps at that power. Check the fuse rating. It shouldn't draw more than that, even at 150 x 2 @ 2 ohms, w/o blowing the fuse.

I'm running an Xtant 1001dx @ 500 watts, an Xtant 4180c at 360, a SS Class A 50 II @ 50, and a 2 farad cap off a 170 amp alternator w/o any problems whatsoever, including at night, in the rain, with a/c and system cranked.

You should be fine.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 75
thanks fishy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2032
PPI PC2300.2 amp will draw up to 35A max depending on your configuration.
If your calculation and alternator size are correct, you should have approximately 500w rms to play with for the sub.
The minute you see the lights dimming, turn the volume down or get a higher alternator.
I hope you have a 1F capacitor for the sub amp. It'll give you tighter bass response.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 347
Isaac do you think ill need a alternator upgrade if i run a jl 1000/1 and that ppi art 300.2 for my system.??? Even if i run a batcap model 800 stereo battery thats 70%battery/30%cap in the back with the amps. Possibly a yellow top in the front? help me out

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
Isaac do you think ill need a alternator upgrade if i run a jl 1000/1 and that ppi art 300.2 for my system.??? Even if i run a batcap model 800 stereo battery thats 70%battery/30%cap in the back with the amps. Possibly a yellow top in the front? help me out

Gold Member

Post Number: 2040
Hey MO, what was your alternator size? That JL 1000/1 amp will draw lot of current. The best way to know for sure is to install it.
Just taking a rough guess, you'll need 120A alternator at least for those 2 alone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
My alternator size was 80amp stock. by the way doesnt it help to upgrade the big 3 wires under the hood from alternator to battery etc even if you dont get a HO alternator doesnt a bigger gauge help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
My alternator size was 80amp stock. by the way doesnt it help to upgrade the big 3 wires under the hood from alternator to battery etc even if you dont get a HO alternator doesnt a bigger gauge help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2042
Nah, if your stock is only 80A, then it won't do much. There won't be enough power left to go around anyways.
Your car's electronic system will eat up almost 60A of 80A. So that doesn't leave much for stereo. The PPI 300.2 alone is 30A or 40A. No battery will save you when you install JL 1000/1 amp too.
If I were you, I'd find a cheap used alternator for your car and send your current one for upgrade. It's cheaper. 200A+ will cost anywhere from $150 - $300, but if you send in your own alternator, they will charge half.

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
Where is a good place thats reliable and affordable for a Ho alternator upgrade????

Gold Member

Post Number: 2043
The place where I bought mine from was 4alterstart.com. For 175A HO alternator, it costed me $249. If you own an American car, then it'll be much cheaper. On top of that, if you send in your own alternator, then almost half the cost. And when you get it back, you know it'll fit perfectly.
If you think about it, getting batcap plus extra battery will cost as much as getting a HO alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Yeah..but i dont own an american car.. I own a import. they dont like dealing with imports it seems like. I just need a freaking alternator that will once and for all fix the dimming and the idle drops...thats all i want. I think im just gonna go to www.mralternator.com and order a HO alternator for my car..they deal with most kinda cars. Check them out isaac

Username: Brock5515

Greensboro, North Carolina

Post Number: 3
I just installed a alpine amp in my saab to push my kenwood 6x9 in the rear. Everything was working fine and all of a sudden I got in my car and it wouldn't start. I know it's not the battery i just put a new one in last month. My alternator is a 115 amps so it should be strong enough. Any Ideas?>???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
Jamie, only one way to find out. Get a DMM and measure your battery. It doesn't matter if you got it a month ago. It only takes few hours to kill a battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
hey isaac..this is gonna be my setup...let me know what else ill need. Eclipsecd 8454 hu, jl 500/1 pushing the 10W7 in the H.O. wedge box. For my componants i went with your suggestion and got the IMage Dynamic CXS62 and will run them off that PPI Art 300.2 amp you helped me find. I know im gonna run 4 gauge for this setup and use my batcap 800 inplace of the caps as its 30%cap/70%battery. Stock alternator is 80amp and with that batcap i should be fine. Do i need a distribution block? if so which one from knukonceptz and do i need 2 rca's that are the same length since im running 2 amps. Let me know what size fuse ill need..i think 80amp. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2101
Nice setup. I'm positive you'll love the way CXS62 and 300.2 amp will sound.
You should get a distribution block. It'll come in handy when connecting multiple amps. I have to in my car, one for pos and ground. The fuse size should equal the total of your 2 amps combined. Therefore it should be 50A x 2 = 100A fuse near the battery.
Instead of batcap, I chose Orion MBR 70 and an extra battery in the trunk. Unlike most isolators, with MBR, you don't have to cut your alternator open to install.

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Hey issac the ppi amp is 30amps and the jl is like less then 50amp or so. Let me know if an 80 amp fuse is right. also for the distribution block for pos and neg. What do i want??? For example at www.knukonceptz.com can you help me choose the right things in my cart..lol help me shop

Gold Member

Post Number: 2111
If all you have is JL 500/1 and PPI, then 80A fuse will do just fine.
As for distribution block, look for 4gauge in to 4 gauge out. Not a popular item for some odd reason. Most are 4gauge in and 8 gauge out.
At Knukonceptz.com, I found this item that can be used for both ground and pos.
PB-2044 Ground Distribution Block.
I know it says ground, but it will work fine with pos. This one actually lets you choose between 2 1/0 gauge out or 4/8 gauge out as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 437
Thanks for your help..i apprectiate it. I will see how my electrical system works with this system with the addition of the batcap should help a bit. We will see once its set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 438
so i will need 2 of those distribution blocks and 2 sets of the 2 channel rca's at about 4meters item # Item #: KAR2-4M right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
how does this one look for the positive battery terminal Item #BT-104P ). No need for negative right isaac.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2125
You might want to measure the distance so that you don't buy extra long rca cables. I find that 15' is all you really need for average cars.
The BT-104P and N are almost identical, so is the price.
You don't need one for ground cause the whole car is your connector.

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
The klarity rca's are the ones i meant isaac. its on the 2nd rca page on the site. I believe thats the best choice for amps and ill need 2 of those at about 15-16 ft.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
That's not a bad cable at all. Very cheap too. At that price, I'd get 3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 442
lol..yeah this site is truly the real deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us