Jonathan...2 500/1's or 1 1000/1????

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 311
Hey i need to know before i install my setup. Should i go with 2 500/1's or just 1 1000/1 to run my 2 13w6v2's. Let me know whats the best way to do it. Im also putting in my 300.2 art ppi.

abe
Unregistered guest
i would go wit the 1000/1. but...

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
the 13w6v2's are 500 RMS each. Just wanna do it right with either setup.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3504
I'd personally do the 1000/1, wire the subs voice coils in series, and then both subs parallel to the amp. No benefit to running two 500/1s, you'd have to match levels near perfectly while the 1000/1 would already do the work for you, plus the 1000/1 will take up a little less space and save install hassle, and it's cheaper than buying two seperate amps. Plus, you can have a 4 ohm load on the 1000/1, while with your subs and the two 500/1s, you'd be running a 2 ohm load on each, increasing distortion, decreasing headroom and damping, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
Problem is i already have 2 500/1's and rather keep it simple with one amp. I may have to sell my 500/1's on ebay. They are brand new from onlinecarstereo.com but its passed its exchange period. Jl's hold there value pretty good. I paid $439 for each one. I saw a JL 500/1 sell for 405 the other day. so i guess that isnt so bad.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3506
If you've already got the 500/1s and are willing to install them, go ahead and use them. If you didn't already have them I'd def get the 1000/1 though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
I know but i want it to be more efficiant without distortion. Usually with JL amps its better to run them at 4 ohms. Ill have to see what happens. It just makes the installation more of a hassle running 3 amps.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3507
Yeah. You'll get better results with a 4 ohm load, just whether the hassle of selling and rebuying is worth it to you.

abe
Unregistered guest
i would sell both 500/1 and get another sub and the 1000/1

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 693
Hey Jonathan, does the JL's switching voltage rails effect how one would normally figure damping factor at different loads? Just wondering how that works and whether different voltage rails = different internal impedances.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2005
Since you already own 2 500/1 JL amps, I'd stay with them. Having 1 1000/1 is great, but you might not be able to "hear" the benefits. Sure on paper it'll show you improvements but whether your ears will pick them up is another.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3508
The internal impedance correlates mainly with the output devices, the voltage rails won't have a lot to do with damping. You'll get higher damping with the 4 ohm load still.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 257
glad it isnt just me doing this .. seems like alot of people buy sh!t and then sell it brand new cause they want something else lol

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 112
it'll work great either way, but i'd go with 2 500/1's (i got 2 on my 13W7) because it'll be more efficient, 2 power sources (amps) always are due to heat and other variables. just make sure you match the input sensitivity. plus, if you already got them, why go through the hassle of selling and buying??

Silver Member

Post Number: 316
I hear you brandon. I just wanna do it the right way though. It seems like some people say its more efficant running a 1000/1 and then some say 2 500/1's are more efficant. Its crazy! Which was is the best?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2011
MO, I told you 1 amp is better and more efficient, just as Jonathan did. Now all you need is Glasswolf's opinion and let that be your final decision. :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3509
Typically, a single amplifier with a shared power supply will be more efficient than dual amplifiers, due to the fact that those dual amplifiers will have a bias to be applied to the transistors, each drawing their own set amount of current at idle, both amplifiers are drawing current and releasing heat, but the single amplifier will have less heat due to the power being contained within a single chassis which has less overall resistance since those components will theoretically be closer together than the two seperate amps and seperate power supplies. The difference isn't enormous and both amplfiers are equally effective at producing rated power, the larger amp will be more efficient to a degree, though. In the case of JL amps, they're regulated so it's a bit different, but you'll see that a 1000/1 on the high voltage rail draws the same current that you would if you had two 500/1 amps on low voltage rails (which is your scenario). But when you compare a 3 ohm load on two 500/1 amps vs. a 3 ohm load on a 1000/1, the 1000/1 draws less current overall. The main reason I'd prefer the 1000/1 is because you're putting a 4 ohm load on the amp in your case, compared to running a lower impedance on both the 500/1 amps, decreasing damping and increasing distortion, also straining the power supplies more even with the regulated voltage rail, again decreasing the efficiency of the amplifier due to the increased heat of having less resistance. With the 1000/1 you also save wiring, you save space, and you save the hassle of having to match levels near perfectly, most people don't have a DMM and I try not to assume that they do. Levels can jump off a little over time due to gain controls being bumped, moving a tad, etc. But like I and others said above, you already have the 500/1s and the difference is really very minimal and not audible, so you'd probably be better off keeping the 500/1s and not risk losing any money you spent on them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Thanks for your opinion and help guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us