One Question that I need answered pliz

Username: Mikey

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 6
I have a digital 1 farad capacitor. When I turn my car off, the digits stay on reading the voltage on the capacitor's display. Is this normal? or will this little feature drain my battery? What do you think? Thanks in advance!!!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 688
Its normal and there's not much you can do about it short of removing that digital readout(I did and put it in my dash, switched), but I don't think you have to worry much. That lil voltmeter/led combo draws a miniscule amount of current. It would take a very long time to kill your battery.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7511
most of those displays have a separate wire that you tie into a switched ignition feed so the display is only on when the car is on.

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 695
Guess mine musta been an el cheapo.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7514
ok most of the ones I've seen anyway
some do, some don't

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 7
So if this one doesn't have that separate wire that goes into the ignition will it still be bad for my car overnight? Or just don't worry about it?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1783
It shouldn't, as long as you drive the car regularly. Like Fishy said, that display should barely draw any power at all. If your really worried about it you could always put a switch on your main power line. Depends on how many amps your drawing though, if it's more than 40 or 50 then your not gonna be able to find a switch big enough.

Pico
Unregistered guest
My cap stays on for about 10 minutes or so before the digi display goes off.
It comes on anytime there is additional power used after it finally turns off, like opening the car doors (dome lights), and trunk (trunk light).

I was worried about it at first, but then found out that it is normal with my cap.
Some stay on for a little while, and some go off right away.

There's nothing to worry about.

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 8
There a 60amp fuse on my line of the amplifier. I guess I can't put a switch so that I can control it whenever I want. The cap shouldn't kill my battery with time by staying on all night then right?

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 9
There's a 60amp fuse on my line of the amplifier. I guess I can't put a switch so that I can control it whenever I want. The cap shouldn't kill my battery with time by staying on all night then right?

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 708
Oh no. To give you an idea of how long it would take to kill your battery most good car batteries are around 80 amphr's or so, maybe a bit less. That means that a fully charged battery of this type can deliver 1 amp of current for about 80 hours, 2 amps for 40, etc. The current draw from that display is on the order of milliamps, or thousandths of an amp. Your battery would probably last weeks or even months. I'm curious to know what Glasswolf thinks, but I wouldn't be surprised if a decent sized cap "leaks" more energy over time than what that voltmeter draws.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl Puerto Rico

Post Number: 11
Hey Fishy, sounds like you know what you're talking about thanks man!! Thanks Smoe Too!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us