XM INSTALL FOR CORVETTE

Username: Biged

Post Number: 5
I'm seriously considering installing an XM "Commander" unit in my 2003 Anniversary Convertible Corvette. Has anyone done this yet?? I've read a lot about the problems with the RF modulator. I would like to go direct to my OEM head unit in the dash, but I have a factory installed 12-disc CD changer in my trunk and believe that this is probably utilizing the only available input into the stock head unit. Anybody know of a way to make this work? I saw someone's setup using the space where the ashtray currently is. Anybody know a store in So Cal that can do a quality install like this?? I'm obviously very cautious about the interior of this super ride. Also, any thoughts on antenna placement----I'm not to fond of putting it on the dash?? Thanks in advance!!!!

D.A.W.
Unregistered guest
Most General Motors cars now come with XM satalite radio, you might be able to have your head unit changed at the dealer to add this option. this way your car stays as factory as it can be with an add on. If you must add one other than a factory unit, RF modulators are "OK," but dont provide the greatest sound quality. Also, if you travel you may need to change the modulators tuned frequncy on the fly as a radio station away from home may be using the same frequency. In terms of apearance: You may be able to clip the XM controller on your sun visor, and the antena you might be able to put at the base of the rear window inside of the car.

Pete
Unregistered guest
hey Mell,
check out soundgate (www.soundgate.com) if you can't get the factory radio upgraded to one with XM built in (which they should be able to do). Soundgate has products that add accessory inputs to factory radios and they are even developing a "decoder" type chip to allow you to hook up sirius or XM units directly to the headunit that is already in the car.

-Pete
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us