Second Car battery

Username: Davidlongaf

Post Number: 2
I am putting in a stereo system in my car that requires a second battery. I have a yellow top battery under the hood and will purchase a second yellow top battery and put it in the trunk. I am going to run the second battery so I don't blow out my alternator. I will run a 0 gauge power wire from the battery under the hood back through the car into the battery in the trunk. From the Second battery it will break off into the certain amplifiers, capitors, etc. What do I need to put in the electrical circuit so my car doesn't blow up or something like that. I have heard of something called an isolator that I might have to use but I don't know what it is or where it would go. Has anyone out there every added a second battery to a car before?

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 284
I am planning on adding a batcap model 800 stereo battery in the trunk right next to my 2 500/1's. It can be used as a distribution block but i had the same question of what else i whould need to run it. GlassWolf knows alot about this but its hard to find him somtimes. I have 2 jl 500/1's and one ppi art 300.2 amplifier. How do i wanna set this up with that batcap..?? im guessing 2 gauge from under the hood to the trunk and then 4 gauge for the 500/1's and 8 gauge for the 300.2.let me know what else..

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 97
if you hook a second battery or a bat cap directly to your under the hood battery then you shouldn't need anything else. the alternator will charge both and since they are wired parallel(if you wire them series, you'll fry your electrical system), you'll have more reserve power for your stereo system. any more then 2 batteries or a battery and a bat cap i think you will need isolators and such to keep them all charged. not totally sure, just know my batcap is hooked this way and it works fine

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 288
I hope glass is reading this..i need to know for sure..

abe
Unregistered guest
why would you guys use a second battery.. i have a 5farad cap and running 2750 watts.. i never had my car die on my never had to charge my car battery after playing my stereo for so many hours

Username: Davidlongaf

Post Number: 3
I have a 5 farad capacitor also. I will be pushing about 2500 to 2600 watts rms. I have a honda civic. the alternator is only 70 Amps. I am trying upgrade my alternator also. I realize that if I don't get a bigger alternator then it won't be able to charge two batteries
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us