Is there a common problem when head units won't play cd's?

Unregistered guest
Please advise. I have an Alpine cde 7826 and a JVC.... car head units. Both are dated and both have stopped playing cd's. When a cd is introduced it hold loads them and then after maybe 30 seconds it ejects them. Is there a common problem with car cd players?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1291
usually a failed laser pickup.
the laser pickup is suspended by wires about as thin as a hair. they eventually break from bouncing around in a car.
the pickup probably needs replacing.
I used to do that a lot on old Alpines.
Not so much on JVC mainly due to the fact that they were cheaper to just replace.
People tend to hang on to an older Alpine much more dearly.

Username: Silver_mercedes

Post Number: 1
if the laser pick up is broken, can it still play the cd sometimes? i have a kenwood cd player that does the same thing. it seems to play the cd after unit has warmed up for 15 to 20 minutes. i thought maybe it was just dirty?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1814
that sounds more like a cold solder joint somewhere inside the unit.. not much you can do for that.

Username: Silver_mercedes

Post Number: 2
thanks, glasswolf. i guess i'll practice being a repair technician on it. sounds like i can't do much damage. then i'll go shopping!

Username: Franknap

Post Number: 1
I've got a Sony cd player that gives me the error code E-04, but only on certain discs. Most of the time these are BRAND NEW DISCS! It makes this terrible grinding sound, gives the error message, and spits the disc out. Why does it play older, even scratched discs, fine, but not new ones?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1902
because it's a sony.
*vomit*

Username: Franknap

Post Number: 2
Is there any remedy besides replacement?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1929
call sony and have it replaced if its under warranty.
take it to a repair shop otherwise, or buy a new deck that's not made by sony.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us