Zapco Ref500 amp

Silver Member
Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 104
i was lookin at the zapco ref500 amp to power one 12 inch RE SE sub. i recently saw that it is a class A/B amp. is this good or bad? is it better to have class D for the sub? if it would be better to have a class D for the sub, then any suggestions would be great. the sub is 600w dual 4 ohm, so i think i need around 500-600w at 2 ohms to power the sub. correct me if i'm wrong in saying that. but should i stay with the zapco or look at something else?? thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 60
The Zapco 500.1 is a perfect amp to run for that sub.

To answer your class A/B to Class D question.. If your only pushing 600RMS my first choice would be a A/B amp. You'll notice in most cases the A/B have Higher SRN's, lower THD's and High Dampening factors over class D.

The class D is better for all out power use becuase of its more efficent power design. Now if you were into SPL and your trying to get as much power as you possibly could then a class D amp is much more likely your choice.. but i dont think thats your situation and thus you got a perfect amp in the A/B Zapco.

Contact me and ill see if i can get you a better deal on that Zapco amp than what your currently quoted at.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1878
Class AB should be your first choice for both SQ and SPL. The only good thing about class D is, slightly cheaper price and less power useage. If your system can handle the power requirement, then AB all the way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
thanks guys. i was hoping to run one zapco ref500 and one zapco ref350. i have a 99 grand cherokee limited so i think someone had told me here before that i have a 135amp stock alternator. so i would think that can handle those 2 amps right? if i'm wrong please let me know. and any furthur input would be great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
anybody else got anything?

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 64
A 135amp alternator should be able to handle up to 1000-1200watts.

So if your running the REF500.1 at 2ohm and the REF350.2 at 2ohm your looking at about 1700watts at there rated power. Its questionable wether or not to replace your alternator. Cost vs performance is always a big issue. If you want to spend the $500+ do so, if you dont mind a few dimming lights at night when you want to turn your system up past normal, then you should be fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
thanks tra. i would be running the ref350 at 4ohms for the components though...would that make any difference?

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 66
well your looking at 1400 total watts vs 1700.. thats alot closer to your range.. i dont forsee that causing to much stress on your alt even when turned up past normal. You may see slight dimming of the lights but i wouldnt upgrade my alternator nor make plans to do so until you try it out first.

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 331
I am just curious, since when do vehicle manufacturers put in stock 135 amp alternators??

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
i honestly don't know, but someone on this forum had previously told me that that is what i had in my car.

Anonymous

that jeep has a 90 amp stock alternator.. mine has trouble powering a 400w RMS system. Look at upgrading

Anonymous

Could somebody explain what all these terms mean when looking at amps?

SRN's, THD's, Dampening factors.. etc

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
first anonymous...what kind of jeep do you have?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
anybody else got anything??

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1985
I don't think 99 grand cherokee limited came with 135A alternator. In fact I haven't seen any American made cars with an alternator greater than 90A. 75A is the average.
I could be wrong, but the only car that came with 125A-135A alternator was BMW.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
oh alrighty. i mean i honestly have no idea. i was just goin with what that one guy told me. i guess i'll actually try to find out myself. thanks isaac.

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 99
Yeah, BMW's typically come with a 140A alternator.

Bronze Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 70
scab if you think you need to beef up your alternator once you find out your amperage.. pm me. i just sent mine out to be rebuilt alot cheaper than buying a new one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
alright thanks a lot guys. yeah i didn't think i was running 1400 watts or whatever was said further up in this thread. but i guess maybe "technically" i am, depending on the volts or whatever. i really don't know how it works. i thought it would be around 900 watts or so, but i guess i'm wrong. thanks for all the help everyone, and if anybody has any further input, it is more than welcome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us