Add a sub to deck w/o preouts

Username: Jadesix

Post Number: 4
Cheap Walmart Weekend Stereo project. How would you connect a sub to a HU with no preouts? The amp has high level inputs, so should I just run the sub on the rear channels with the high level inputs and the interior speakers on the front channels? I know they make some kind of RCA converter, but I've never used one and I'm not sure what they're called.

Help?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 106
It's called a Line Output Converters or loc box. You can just run them to the high level inputs. As for the best I can't say I use the loc box.
http://www.bcae1.com/loc.htm

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 637
Altho they make some "better" line out converters, if your amp has high level inputs it basically already has one built in. I'd hook it up like that first and have a listen before I'd think about investing in an LOC. Like I said you can probably get a "better" one, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement it would make. I think you'd probably have to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 dollars on an LOC that would be significantly better and personally I think thats money better spent towards a h/u with low level preouts. ALL LOC's add distortion and reduce frequency response.

If at all possible low level rca's are the way to go.

-Fishy

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the input. I would also just put the money towards a HU with preouts, but it's just a bottom of the barrel project for my stepdad. I ended up going with an LOC. Haven't hooked it up yet, so I really don't know how it will sound.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 643
Try the high level inputs on the amp before you open that LOC or try both and if they sound similar return the LOC, if you can. They both do the same thing.

-Fishy

Post Number: 6
And just tap the high level leads from the rear channel speakers. Why didn't that make sense to me until you said that? For some reason, I was under the impression that in order to use those, I would have to sacrifice the rear channels.

Doh. Thanks Fishy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us