Can i get comps?

Bronze Member
Username: Tips

Post Number: 87
i have a ford contour 99. and it has 6x8 speakers in the front and rear. can i get a component set and install it myself? how would i install it? i know id have to make holes for the tweeters... i think. i kno absolulety nothing about component sets, i was gonna buy polk speakers for 100 dollars. but how much better is a comp system? (i dont have subs, but will get them later)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
do i need an amp for comps? i have an alpine 9847 in my car right now. thats it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
im looking at the infinity REF6800CS

Power Handling, RMS: 90 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 270 Watts
Sensitivity: 92dB
Frequency Response (±3dB): 49Hz - 21kHz
Mounting Depth: 2-7/16" Mid/Woofer, 1-1/4" Tweeter
Impedance: 4 Ohms

i guess i need an amp then. right? will it sound even ok with the 18x4 rms hu i have? how will it be to install? would a 6.5inch give better sound? would a 6.5 inch one fit in my 6x8 slot?

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 110
Ya, you need an amp. I would recommend comps in the front and coaxials in the rear. 6.5s will fit but it could be very hard and frustrating to get them in because you have to cut your existing slots. 5.25s should fit fine though, and there really isnt a huge difference between 6.5s and 5.25s.

Rockford Fosgate makes 6x8 comps that have the tweeters specially mounted over the cone but not on it. that acts as a coaxial pretty much. I'm not a genius on installing that stuff though. You could ask around or ask a audio shop about how to go about it. circle comps are better SQ and the 6x8s are better SPL. Go to crutchfield.com and put in your car to see what comps will fit in your car. Mounting depth plays a huge role wih these so pay attention to that spec
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us