What to do?

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 78
I'm helpin my friend out choosing a new system. Hes bent on two 12s or two 15s. Hes got 340 for just subs. I helped him hunt around and told him to check out some certain kinds. He likes the Kicker CompVR 15", the Alpine Type-R 12", and the Kicker L5 12". I let him hear a 13W7 and he fell in love w/ JL but hes bent on 2 subs and all he could afford are the W0s which aren't the greatest. Anyways, I think he picked the Type-Rs but any other thoughts would be good to have.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1794
why is he so set on dual subs? tell him to take his money pool it together asnd get one much better sub. what is his budget exactly for sub and amp? you really dont gain that much SPL when adding another sub its around 3db's which isnt alot but by going to a better sub with more x-max and the same amount of power you will gain much more then the two cheaper subs put together.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 909
The type R's are nice sub's though. Are they the new R's or the older R's?
He might also want to check out a Eclipse T, or Adire Brhama.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 865
lol....340 for both subs...or just one?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 82
340 for both

James that is exactly what I told him. I'm gettin a Brahma and I was like hey, you can get a much better sub that will be way better quality in all areas than 2 cheaper ones. Ive suggested the H2, Brahma, Eclipse Titanium, JL W6v2, and the RE x.x.x. I like the Type-Rs, but ya he could get something so much better. I think he believes it looks dumb to have just 1 sub, but I was like dude its the performance that matters. He wont listen tho.

I don't know whether it is the new models or old. They are SVC 4 ohm tho if that helps because his amp puts out 600 watts rms at 2 ohms. I dunno if u can get that w/ either dual ohm version.

I also told him to get a the Kicker KX 600.1 or the JBL amp thats comparable, but no he gets a cheap amp, power acoustik. U cant talk to this guy obviously, hopefully when he sees these posts he might change his mind

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1823
well man you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. He will learn over the coars of the next year or two and about 20 pairs of subs later when he ends up with 1-brahma 15 and 1000 watt mono amp that you told him to buy from the get go but you know what. you can say I told ya so I guess. he will learn sooner or later that its not the look its the sound and the quality of the equipment/install. plus in car audio you get what you pay for. you wanna spend no money you get junk you wanna drop a little coin you will get something that will last you a lot longer, and you will be much happier with. but hey you have done all you can to hook up your buddy.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1096
hey james are you going to sell your brahma 15. im kinda interested. email me.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1827
nope it found a home in my wife's car. it sounds killer with movies. I was watching days of thunder in there today and man it sounds good. If I do decide to sell it you will be the first on the list.

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 86
Dude this is crazy James, You said "in car audio you get what you pay for" I told him exactly the same thing. I just thought that was kinda cool. Plus, since you have a Brahma what amp did you use to push it. Mine will be a 12" or 15" in a ported box ported at 30 Hz for the 12 or 28 hz for the 15" also what do u think about that set up?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 871
haha.....james and hunter..i think you two should start pushing my stuff onto people to buy when they have a price limit my stuff is in haha...but dude...i wanna hear a brahma...how nice is it

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1099
i think iom going to call you spam from now on sub. just keep the equipment or sell it local. since we know what it is we arent going to buy it......lol...sorry:-) put it in your room or something, ebay?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 874
i need to try ebay...i think ill look into that tom...see what it comes too lol

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 88
Brahmas are NICE

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1836
yeah that should sound good but what amp are you planning on running with it. I have my brahma in a 2.5cu/ft sealed enclosure because I love the SQ of sealed enclosures. I had mine running with 600 watts of clean power from my ppi a600 I have recently switched it out for an avalanche 15 in the same size box.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 875
james...gotta get your attention real quick...but do caps hurt your alt or not?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 92
I thought caps were supposed to help more than hurt, they just draw any extra energy when its available.

Amp wise I don't know. I like Kicker, MTX, and JBL. Hifonics looked enticing and inexpensive, thats tough though.
I hope I can still get my Brahma, The good one anyways

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1585
Sub, if you don't have a high output alt. do not get a cap. No RDS, they don't just draw any extra energy. If your alternator is already stressing to keep up with your system's amp draw, then there's not gonna be any extra energy for the cap. If your alt's too small, then your voltage rails are gonna be dropping all the time, which meens your cap is gonna be in use all the time, which meens it's gonna need to be constantly charged. If your alt can't keep up with your system and keeping the battery charged, the cap is just gonna put more stress on it.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 880
GOD SEE JOE...i understand that totally...and makes sense..then sorry to be ironic again hah...hey RDS YOU LIVE NEAR ME...but back to joe...this guy at carstereo..made a great point why caps are good and not bad without a new alt...i need your help over there...im so confused..which is right...its soo confusing

http://www.carstereo.com/forum/showthread.cfm?frompage=1&StartRow=1&fid=6&tid=13 574&maxrows=15

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1848
I think hunter pretty much summed it up there Sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us