New to car audio.. please help

Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 4
I just bought a 2002 Silverado Ext Cab and I need an audio system. From what I've read I probably won't need rear speakers, so I was going to leave those alone. For the front I am thinking about Perfect 6.1 Components and an Image Dynamics ID10 V2.3 subwoofer in a truck box under the rear seat. I already have an Alpine 9813 HU. My budget is like $600, and I just want the best sound I can get because I listen to mostly metal. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 24
my advice to you is not to skimp on a system that you will end up upgrading shortly after, go ahead and get the best of what you can afford in mids with an amp and then get the sub other wise you will be throwing money away upgrading or I could shut up cs im diff than most ppl and go ahead buy what you want

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 5
Anyone else have something they can offer? Isaac suggested a PPI amp and a non-polarized cap to run both the speakers and the sub off of one amp, which is my ultimate goal. I don't know what a non-polarized cap is, so could someone explain that to me as well. Once again, thanks in advance for your advice.

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 6
I got a beat on an Xtant 4 Channel 4180C with an internal crossover. Would that be a good selection for my application?, the amp is rated 4x90 @2 ohms. Also, what is a coil for a subwoofer? Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 189
david, to run your front speakers and your sub, you can do what i did - buy a 4 channel amp that does 75 watts RMS per channel @ 4ohms, and bridge the rear channels for the sub - should give you about 300 watts to the sub. no need for caps and coils if you get a 4 channel.
just make sure you get the dual 2 ohm ID10 so you can wire it to 4 ohms, which is what most amps are stable at when bridged.

that xtant is a great amp, however it only does 45 watts @ 4 ohms and 180 watts bridged. you'll want to give your perfects more power than that, 75-125watts, and you'll want 230 to 300 watts for the ID10.

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 7
The dual 2 ohm ID10 is significantly more than the dual 4 ohm. MY next question is, would a Diamond Audio D3 dual 2 ohm subwoofer be an edaquate replacement? Or an Alpine sws1022d? Or should I just get the IDQ10 4 ohm? Thanks for your reply, David.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us