What to do when both HU and amp have crossovers?

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 73
Should I set the crossovers on both the HU and amp to the same frequency, or set the amp crossovers a little higher than the HU crossover and let the HU handle everything, or something else?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1538
Just set them both at the same frequency's if your gonna worry about it. It's not really necessary, and I would rather the amp do the filtering anway, just easier I guess.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1829
Crossovers on HU can be useful if you have one of those "old" school type amps. They never came with anything. It is better to set the HU's crossover to flat or off and let the amps do it. That way, you will tailor the sound separately for mids/highs/bass or front/rear.

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 60
use the crossovers on the HU and turn off the ones on the amp if you can(unless the HU crossovers aren't very good) if not, set them the same.
that way you are only sending the signals you need. having multipul crossovers processing the same signal can create distortion and other mess you don't want.

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 91
Would it be bad to use the rear speaker RCA outs to go to the subwoofer amp instead of the subwoofer RCA's since my HU lets me turn off the Front and Rear crossovers but not the Subwoofer crossover (only lets me select a low pass of 50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz). I also have rear speakers so the rear speaker wire outs would also be used. Is this a good idea? Is there any problems with doing it this way?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1919
No you won't have any problem. In most HU, the sub is shared with rear RCAs anyways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us