Atlas 12 - adjustable Qts

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 175
i was talking to chad, the owner of ascendant audio, today, and he told me something pretty interesting about the atlas, so i thought i would share.

in my case we we're talking about a sealed enclosure with 230 watts. chad recommended 1.5 cu ft.

as many of ya'll know, the atlas is a 4ohm sub with a second smaller voice coil, denoted by gold terminals, that is used to adjust the Qts, .
the widely recommended setting is for low Qts, in which a small piece of speaker wire jumper is put across the gold terminals. apparently this setting has the highest overall sensitivity and requires the smallest enclosure.

chad said that a lot of people have been liking the sound from the high Qts setup, in which the wire jumper is simply removed from the gold terminals and they are left open. this setup, in a sealed enclosure, achieves "more output down low by creating a powerful bump in the frequency response."

so, it was recommended that i install a second terminal cup in my box, run wire from both voice coils to the terminals, and all i would have to do put the jumper on the terminal on the outside of the box. this would allow me to switch from the low Qts setting to the high Qts setting without having to take the speaker out of the box as i decided which setting i liked best.

anyways, i thought that was a pretty handy feature for the sub. thought i would pass it on. if i could ever get this box finished (been working a lot), i'll tell ya'll how it sounds.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 176
oh yeah, i also asked chad how much power i could safely give the atlas 12. he said it really doesnt need any more than 250 watts. it could take 400 watts, but it's just not necessary. i told him i was thinking about eventually running the atlas with a PPI A300 art series amp (300 watts bridged). he said that was absolutely the perfect amp for that sub and it would be crazy how good it would sound. so, any of ya'll hunting for a sub amp combo, you could put that together for about $300....just an idea....

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 604
Yeah the guys at Adire had a similar suggestion when utilizing only one voice coil in a DVC driver. Check this:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/RDOOperation.pdf

Might wanna ask chad about attaching a variable resistor(pot) to your terminal cup to achieve an extra "tweakage" factor. With the right pot you should be able to get results close to the low Qts(very low pot resistance, akin to "shorting" the voice coil) and high Qts(very high pot resistance, akin to an open circuit) modes with near infinite adjustments in between.

You could even mount the pot somewhere in your dash for some serious tweaking fun on the fly.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 177
dude. that's freaking awesome. i'll call tomorrow to see if that would work. i dont see why it wouldnt - same concept.

how sweet would that be to have a knob on my dash to adjust Qts!? where can i buy one of those?

thanks fishy. i'll let you know what he says tomorrow.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 605
Lol, you can get em at radio shack, but I'd wait for chad to make a suggestion. I'm sure they've tried that trick. Digikey is where Adire recomends one to purchase the 5 watt resistor. Need to find out from chad how "big" of a pot you need. If its a really "small" voice coil radio shack might be the ticket, otherwise you might need somethin a bit more specialized that will handle more power.

Regardless there's no reason why you can't mount a switch in your dash that'll take you from low Qts to high Qts modes by alternately shorting/opening that lil voice coil. A potentiometer would just be more "trick" and give you more options.

Man, my 10w3's are gettin on my nerves ported and I'm not sure how good they would sound sealed. I may have to look into these avalanches.

Guess I've been away from these forums too long.

-Fishy :-)

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 178
just talked to chad. he said that at one point he was actually thinking of advertising that as a feature and selling pots with the subs, but he decided that it could get too confusing for some people.

he told me to get a 5 watt potentiometer with the lowest ohm rating i could find. he's going to look it up tonight to find the exact model he was thinking of carrying and send me an email with the website and part #. ascendant audio has been an outstanding company to deal with. i highly recommend anyone in the market for a sub to at least look their way.

great idea fishy! thanks again.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 606
err... I said Avalanches. wow, meant Atlas. I definitely been away too long.

-Fishy :P

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 179
yeah it's been a while fishy :-)

Digikey is where he recommended i find the part. it's like a $3.00 part. outstanding!

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 607
How do those those Atlas dudes compare to JL's W3 line for SQ? I'm in the mood for an upgrade to somethin sealed.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 180
havent heard mine yet, but i believe james has an avalanche powered by a PPI A600 and is pretty happy with the setup. might wanna ask him.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 613
lol, I just looked at Ascendant's website:

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas%2012.htm

The frames on those subs look an awful lot like some of Adire's stuff(Brahma), and include Adire's vaunted XBL2 technology. Kinda strange huh?

Brahma:

http://www.adireaudio.com/images/new_b12_side2.jpg

Atlas 12:

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Atlas-12-rear.gif

In fact I think if I took the frame from that Brahma and used the motor from a Koda 10:

http://www.adireaudio.com/images/koda10_rear_2.jpg

I'd have an Atlas, at least on the outside.

I think they're in cahoots.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1080
made under the same house and same parts thats why

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 614
And I wouldn't be surprised if chad comes back recommending this:

http://sales.digikey.com/scripts/sales.dll?qty=1&part=CT2155-ND&cref=&Add+to+Ord er=Add+to+Order&so_glue=6244019

Thats the pot recommended in the Adire white paper I mentioned in my first post.

If Ascendant Audio is really "Adire" in disguise I definitely would be interested in purchasing a couple Atlas 12's especially at those prices(Koda 10's run $229 each). I was kind of wondering why Koda 12's and 15's never appeared on Adire's website.

hmmmmmmmmmm...............

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 615
made under the same house and same parts thats why

Must be good stuff then.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums