Amp voltage

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 19
my friend just installed an audiobahn a1801t amp (i know dont say it) on 2 type Rs. When the subs hit hard the amps voltage supply drops down to around 11 volts from 14. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Username: Skaman272

Post Number: 9
i'm going out on a limb here... but i'm gonna guess that he does not have a cap? lol ... get a 1 farad cap and he should be fine, a cap may also make the subs produce a nicer hit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
will a cap help that much if he only has like a 60amp alternator wouldnt it just put more strain on the alternator?

Post Number: 10
no, a cap will make an enormous diffiernce, it will accualy take some of the stress off the alternator. a 60 amp alternator is still far too weak tho, i'd upgrade the alternator, but the cap is a must. a cap will hold you over till you can upgrade the alternator if you decide to upgrade, go with at least 100 amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
also one more question since u are being so helpful. Im about to take my own stereo out of my car and put it in a Bronco and add 2 more type R 12s. Any idea where i can find the amps on the alternator of an 87 bronco?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i just called my buddy who is a mechanic, he looked it up and said the stock alternator puts out 75 amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
wow thanks for the info bro

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 290
(This is said in every single thread in the place, but I'll repeat it again anyway.)
A capacitor actually is going to put more strain on your system if your charging system isn't up to par with what you're running. You'll deplete the cap, and the alternator will have to supply power for your system, PLUS recharging the cap. You'd be best off getting an HO alternator right off the bat. Plus upgrading the wiring to your alternator, battery, chassis. The "Big 3" wires as they are commonly referred to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
not to critisize your info jake, but where did you get your info from? adding a cap is like adding a fast charge/discarge component to the the battery it should add no stress, and help take stress of the car batt. for instance i have a 90 amp alternator, and my amplifiers draw 140 amps. the voltage meter on my cpacitor nevr drops below 12v while the car is running (at idle) and usaly satys around 13.5v w/o the cap my voltage often drops below 10. knock on wood 2 years later alternater is still going strong with no signs of stopping. any type of system will add stress to the entore charging system, the point of a cap it to stiffen the charging system.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1432
A capacitor will NOT replace the need for a high output alternator. If your electrical system is inadequate the only way to fix it is to replace the alternator. When the battery is run down, and when the capacitor is depleted, the alternator has to work even harder in order to supply current to the car, the audio system, and also to recharge the capacitor as well as recharge the car's battery. By adding a capacitor to try taking the place of a high-output alternator, you are causing more work for your alternator, and causing even more damage to that stock alternator.

flysamurai13
Unregistered guest
check this out about your cap info:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=50289&KW=cap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
i agree compleatly, he still needs a new h/o alternator, but a cap is a nessesity for the problem he is having...

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 814
hahaha...joe and james is right...micheal....the cap will mess up his car and he will enevitably have to replace his alternator anyways...just replace that and be done with it...should be able to get one for about twice the price he would pay for a nice cap anyways....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us