Reccommendations?

Username: Carley

BC Canada

Post Number: 1
anybody out there with a 12" JL audio W7...would you reccommend it? i'm looking to put a new system in my car and i've heard good things about the w7. wondering if anyone has anything interesting to say about them.

also -- will a 1000w amp power it?

and will it all fit in an 89 bmw 325i?

any input is appreciated...i'd call a place or go in and talk to people in the stores, but salesmen don't tend to take me very seriously since i'm a girl. they think i want it pretty sounding. i want it LOUD. but good quality of course :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sublime420

Ca Us

Post Number: 127
yup. the 12W7 is a great sub. and yes, a 1000watt RMS amp will power it. if you can afford it, you should look into the JL 1000/1. and yes, you can fit all this in the trunk of your beamer. dont quote me on this, but you might also need a H/O alternator. you might want to ask someone else about that one though.

BC Canada

Post Number: 2
thanks sublime, much appreciated.

any other opinions out there?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 288
Remember that if you want this stuff professionally installed, you're looking at a good chunk of cash for a JL setup. A good setup, no doubt. You have other alternatives if you would want to get into it. You will probably want to upgrade your coaxials (6x9s or whatever is installed) to new coaxials or components, plus an amp for that.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 289
Sorry if that post sounded as though I was busting on JL. I was in no way. They are excellent, but there are alternatives.

BC Canada

Post Number: 3
Jake -- what kind of alternatives? I'm looking for the best possible sound quality and quantity combined, so I know there will be alot of money involved and I'm prepared for that. However if there are other options I'm always open. What would you suggest?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1693
there are much cheaper alternatives that will give you the same sq and output as the w7. REXXX,Adire Brahma,Ascendabt audio Avalanche, eclipse TI,IDmax(will give much better SQ but less output) those are all cheaper then the w7.

Username: Justin366

Post Number: 2
i bet your really hot

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1440
Ha. We can only hope. A hot chick that wants a w7 in her BMW. My god.

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 252
i kno right, and with the subs that kames mentioned are almost have the price of jl subs and all just as good and to some they may be better....

BC Canada

Post Number: 4
ok guys...too many options, i need help! i like my old deck (it changes colours -- hey, i am a girl) so i'm good with that but everything else i am replacing...so i'm going from a 10" s type alpine sub to hopefully something alot louder, but at least the same quality...definitely nothing less. i have heard good things about the W7s so i figured i'd start there. i'm not very well versed in this stuff yet and i don't even recognize half of the other brands mentioned. so can somebody brief me on the best brands for really good sound quality AND output?

thanks guys :-)
Sam

BC Canada

Post Number: 5
oh, and while i'm at it, i have a question about my deck that maybe one of you pros can answer. as i said before, it changes colours. it goes through a standard rotation of colours and changes every few seconds...but lately one corner isn't changing properly. i know it hasn't been damaged by being hit or anything because only i drive my car (it is my baby and no one touches it) and i don't let anybody touch my deck without supervision because it is also my baby. so it hasn't suffered any kind of traumatic experience to keep it from changing colours in one corner. it's only about a year old...i figure it should hold up a bit better than that. could it be that it's just cold? some days it warms up out of it after 20 minutes or so, other days it doesn't. any ideas?

JL
Unregistered guest
i think your head unit is borken. well. in looking for a deck as u call it. consider the RCA outputs. at least 3 pairs is ayt. for front, rear and sub. head units with at least 4v RCA output. that would make the sound much better. this is important because here's where your audio source is. in regards to your sub, JL audio is one of the best. great sound (not punchy unlike the solobarics) and u don't need a powerful amp to drive it. the down side is the cost. well, JL subs are costly but worth it. u might not want to even change it in the future. for the amp to drive it, u don't need an expensive amp for it coz JL is very easy to drive. u can get good sound with low cost, efficient amps. This is only the Subwoofer part. u haven't gone through with your mids and tweets. so imagine the costs of getting a good setup. but i think with smart decisions, u'll get good quality for ur listening pleasure.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1728
ok that isnt entirely correct. This guy has the JLw0's which are the bottom line of JL's sub. The reason his arnt punchy is because he has the bottom of the line 15in sub in a enclosure that isnt designed for that sub, and thats also the reason why he can use a small amp. not all JL subs can be driven with 200 watts, the W7's need about 500 for the 10 and upwards of 1000 for the 13. JL's are very nice subs once you get up in to their mid to upper level lines as are most companies that we name around here. The Jl w7 is a very expensive sub and dont get me wrong it is a very nice sub I just think there are better cheaper alternatives for your application. For instance the JL w6v2 is a better sub for the money then the Jl w7 in my opinion. If your looking for SQL I cant help but recomend Ascendant audio they are fairly cheap and sound very very good and will get extremely loud of about 600-800 watts. I know you said "I want it LOUD with good quality of coarse" well the Avalanche 15 will do just that. So will the REXXX,Adire Brahma,Eclipse TI,and also the most expensive out of the group the W7.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1048
the w7 also has DUAL 3 OHM coils so you just have to watch that also. i think that makes them very hard to match up, and i think thats what jl wanted, so they would work better with there amps only pretty much. you can pick up an ascendant audio avalanche 15 for 300 which is cheaper then the x and brahma. also take a look at incriminator audio, there forum is at www.soundillusions.com just something new to suggest

BC Canada

Post Number: 6
thanks so much everybody for your suggestions, keep em coming:-)

what kind of amp are we talking for an avalanche 15? and will it still all fit in the trunk of my car?

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 181
check out the Precision Power (PPI) art series amps. in particular the a600 on ebay. that should run that sub nicely. the white art series amps are very "colorful" too :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 182
here's a couple a600's

www.ebay.ca
item# 5755509488
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5755509488% 26%26

item # 5757911053
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5757911053% 26%26

apparently, the avalanche doesnt need a very big enclosure compared to most 15"'s

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Avalanche%2015.htm

you may want to give them a call. it's a small company, and the owner chad is a great guy to deal with. he'll let you know what'll work for your particular setup.

hope it helps.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1771
thats actually the amp I have running my avalanche. It is a great amp especially for that sub. I would look into a Orion HCCA 250g4 as well it will give you a little more umph because of the extra 200 watts. You are going to need about 2-2.5 cu/ft for the sub that should fit in your car.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us