Low port tuning (Jonathan???)

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 38
I do not have a subsonic filter on my amp. I do not feel like spending alot of money, or any for that matter, on any more equipment. I would like to have a ported box. I thought it might be okay if I tuned my port down to 20 hz. This would allow a frequency of 15 hz before the sub started to over excur and tear the crap out of itself. Would this be a safe bet for a ported box with no sub protection or will I need a filter of some sort? If so what is a Cheap filter suggestion?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1420
I really doubt you'll need a filter for that. The only place I can think of that you'll ever get notes below 20 hz is from bass test cd's. Playing below 20 hz is pretty pointless because you can't even hear it. You should be ok. If not, then try Harrison Labs FMods.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Yeah I know about those. Thanks. Maybe I could tune it to 25 hz. This will put the Death Area around 19 hz. Thoughts???

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1422
Yeah. I think 20 would almost be too low. 25 would be killer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Anyone else have any thoughts before I let this one die???

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3434
Your sub won't instantly die a half octave below, but it will begin to risk overexcursion. Honestly music very rarely goes below 30hz. 25hz is about as low as I'd tune in a car, 20hz would require a HUGE port and wouldn't offer a big benefit in SPL. 25 is a great SQ tune IF your subs resonant frequency is below that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thanks guys Ill give 25hz a shot. By the way I am trying out a new company called Sound Splinter. I here they are good SQ subs. I will see if the are...
www.soundsplinter.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
here/hear spelling is not my strong point

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1429
Awww, I really wanted to try some of their stuff too. They have some pretty good prices on their site, that is if the subs are what they say they are. Tell us how everything sounds when you get done, I'd love to have some feedback on soundsplinter.

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 413
Yeah, Their excellent subs. I plan on buying a pair of 15" RL-p's from them shortly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
xxmdfxx, I hope your right...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us