Amp under seat, or no?

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
I was thinking about putting my sub mono amp under my back seat and wiring it to my 2 12's right behind it, but the amp would be about (im guessing) 5-7 feet away from the battery. Is that too far? Ive heard more than 16"'s is terrible. Where do most people put their amps?

Username: Grtnate23

Post Number: 10
Just make sure the amp will have enough air. Overheating would occur pretty easily under a seat if you ask me.

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 55
On most amplifier instruction sheets, it says DO NOT INSTALL IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. EXCESSIVE HEAT WILL VOID WARRANTY,etc. This being said I THINK what ur referring to w/ the 16" is the length of the groud WIRE. I have about a 6-8in gap under my box(that is where I put my amp. If your amp is 1 ohm stable, it shouldn't get to hot-as long as you have about 3-8inches of clearance. What kind of vehicle?

marines
Unregistered guest
yes im loking at buying a legacy 800 watt amp 2 and 4 ohms model number LA590. and i have 2 sony xplode 10" subs at 4 ohms they are 400 watts each i dont know what the rms are on them they are in a big ol box and i dont fel like taking them out but i went on a web site and saw the ones like mine and it said it was 400 watts so im guessin that means the rms rating is about 200 correct? i also want 2 know if this amp that i want 2 buy is a good amp for my subs the specs on the amp are 2x400 watts output 1x 800 watts bridged output 800 watts total power the last amp i had was a clarion apa 4203 and it just burned up on me recently i took it apart and it had a burn mark on the board also i talked 2 a guy and he said that it meant my amp was overheating but im also guessing if the amp was 2 little 4 the speakers and it worked the amp 2 hard is that posible? but i had 2 fans on it i dont know the wattage of the clarion for as it didnt say on it so i need some advice on what 2 do

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
Jeep Grand Cherokee. And my amp is an Auddiobahn 8000T with fans and stuff but its stable to just 2 ohms. And im confused on the ground wire thing. The ground wire connects to what?

Bronze Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 94
Daniel
Are you talking about the ground on the amp or the fans?

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
My amp has a built in fan, but what im asking is, what does the ground wire go to from the amp? If you could, can you explain basicly what Id need to know about the ground wire and the other wire or others please.

Bronze Member
Username: Grtnate23

Post Number: 12
You want your ground to be connected to the chassis of your car.(possibly the negative or your battery) Preferably, the shorter the ground wire is, the better off you are.

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
The chasis? Is that under the hood? Because the battery I think your talkin about would be the car battery and thats like 4-6 feat away from the back seat.

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
I just figured the ground wire thing out, moms boyfriend helped. But what I still dont get is I think the other ones, the RCA cable and/or the power cable? I know they have to go on seperate sides of the car but thats about it.

Daniel White
Unregistered guest
anybody know?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1717
Read the instruction manual that comes with the amp/power wiring kit. It'll explain everything in detail.
The reason why you run RCA and power wires on the opposite side of the car is to avoid engine/alternator noise pickup.

WC
Unregistered guest
Here go to this website and look at the wiring picture on the bottom of the website. The RCA and power cables should not go on the same side, and for the ground, look for a bolt under your seat and take the paint if there is and and connect it to the bolt of your seat.

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_install_a_car_amp/how_to_install_a_car_amp.ht m#how_to_install_a_car_amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us