VW Golf Security Alarm

Username: Kharlo

Post Number: 1
hey guys, I have a 95 VW Golf CL. I hope someone can help. Two things. 1. My damn stereo is in "SAFE" mode. Anyone figured out how to get this fixed. I need my tunes or should I just remove it and replace it with my own stereo system. 2. My VW standard car alarm just started going off when it's idle. Anyone have the same issue and what did you do to fix it. I checked all the wiring and it seems ok. I'm at the point to remove the damn thing. Any direction will help a lot. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 73
hey, i have a 96 jetta. for the safe mode issue, look on the door jam for the code, or just go to the dealership and ask them for the code. it will cost a few bucks buts its cheaper than getting a new headunit. But its also a good excuse to get a new headunit hahhaa. And for the alarm thing, check your connections on your battery. I had a problem with mine going off every time i bumped the car, and i found out the cable was really loose. Or you might have faulty wiring somewhere. Personally, i'd disconnect it if you can figure it out. hope this helps

Doug Blanc
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a 95 golf and have the same problem as Kharlo Tawatao. Where do i look on the door jamb? All i found was a sticker saying "made in mexico". And once i have the code, how do i enter it?

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 154
uhhh i forget how you enter it, you have to hit something and then you use the numbers i believe, but i have never done it. Look everywhere you can think of, and look in your manual, sometimes theres a card in there or someone wrote it down somewhere. Good luck!

cavmad
Unregistered guest
If it`s anything like the stereos here in England when you get the code follow these instructions.
If, for example, the code is 1234 you simply press the first raio button and if you use the radio tuning button a number should appear which will go from 0 to 9 when you move the tuner. Set it at 1 and then press button two. Set this to 2 and then move to buttons three and four and enter the correct numbers. When you have done press and hold button number 5 and the radio should come on. You need to make sure there is a constant feed to the radio otherwise everytime you take the key out you will lose radio station memory and have to re-enter station memory everytime you you turn ignition back on.

Patch
Unregistered guest
i have this problem with my 95 golf cl. all of a sudden i cannot unlock all my doors and gas latch from the drivers side. i have a factory alarm and it works ok from the passengers side, i can unlock the door from the drivers side but the alarm will go off as soon as I put the key in the ignition or open another door please help

Mei-2
Unregistered guest
I've an S reg Golf 1.6, and the alarm has a life of it's own. It goes off at all times of the day and I need to fix it.

Can anyone help?

If not, can someone at least tell me how to permanently switch it off?

Cheers,

Mei

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 155
oh god i wish i knew how to permanently turn it off. I hate it.. but you might be able to take it into a shop or install a real alarm

tinohartino
Unregistered guest
Guys, can anyone help with this? I have just bought a 95 golf and want to set the radio stations so they stay tuned - does anyone know how to to this. At the moment if I tune in one station on one button and press another button when I go back to the first it will not be th station I had it on....

Unregistered guest
does anyone know what MFA stands for, on the MK3 golf gti, its a little button on the stalks at the side of the steering wheel

Dave Wildberger
Unregistered guest
I have a 98 MK3 GTI. MFA Stands for Multi-Function-something, it's German, and I don't remember the translation. Anyway, it's just referring to the trip computer in the gauge cluster that shows gas mileage, temperature, etc. I'm assuming that since you have the MFA, it's a VR6?

victoria
Unregistered guest
My car radio is on safe mode currently and i called the dealership to see what they say.they told me that i had to take it in so they can recode it and it would cost me 95 dollars for the service. wow! i couldnt believe they would be charging me so much for something i thought you could look up on the computer.
so now im thinking of what i should do.

Denwa
Unregistered guest
Do you have the owner's manual? Generally the dealership writes the four-digit radio code inside somewhere---front cover, back cover, etc. They did for me anyway. Once your have the code, it's an extremely easy process to unlock the radio. No need to go to the dealer.

Unregistered guest
I have a VW Golf Mk2 1990 with a Toad alarm/immobiliser with keyless central locking. Was working fine when I purchased car but noticed fuses didnt match up to the manual so changed them around to fit with manual, not realising this might affect my alarm/immobiliser setup! Can anyone help me get it back to previous state?! (Car is permanently immobilised atm!)

duncanm
Unregistered guest
I also purchased a 96 Golf, 2.0L, and the radio is in safe mode, no owners manual, and the people I purchased from have no idea either. Took it to the dealership in Town and they say no codes are available for this car, I guess it means a new radio... Why can't VW keep track of these darn codes anyway?

Unregistered guest
I have a 91 Golf 2 CSL, had no problems with the immobiliser or central locking until today! Suddenly the remote no only locks the driver door when the button is pushed, but it will not open the doors when pushed again. It turns the alarm on and off as usual as well as the immobiliser works as usual but the darn doors will not unlock...........help! To Make things worse I had to replace my front door handles recently, they came with new keys....but silly me, thought why would I ever need the keys as they did not match my ignition key, and the remote unlocks the doors so I put them in a safe place.....God only knows where! How the hell do I get into the car now that it is locked? I can still go though the hatch door but it is really inconvenient!

Unregistered guest
I have a 91 Golf 2 CSL, had no problems with the immobiliser or central locking until today! Suddenly the remote now only locks the driver door when the button is pushed, but it will not open the doors when pushed again. It turns the alarm on and off as usual as well as the immobiliser works as usual but the darn doors will not unlock...........help! To Make things worse I had to replace my front door handles recently, they came with new keys....but silly me, thought why would I ever need the keys as they did not match my ignition key, and the remote unlocks the doors so I put them in a safe place.....God only knows where! How the hell do I get into the car now that it is locked? I can still go though the hatch door but it is really inconvenient!

AbbyW
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 96 VW golf. I just got it registered and I go to start it and the key wont go in the ignition AT ALL. I'm guessing that i somehow tripped some anti theft device but when i got the car there wasent an owners manual. I dont know what to do... HELP

Unregistered guest
If your VW radio goes on safe mode; check your radio owner's manual for the four digit code. If you cannot find the code you will need to pull the radio from the dash and find the serial number engraved on the side or back of the chassis. Phone your VW dealer and he should supply the code free of charge when you supply the serial number. Now that you have the number you can enter it into the radio.
procedure - With the power on and SAFE showing on the display, press and hold the MODE and SCAN button together until SAFE changes to 1000. Release the buttons and using the first four station buttons enter the radio code.
Use button #1 to change the 1 to the correct code, pressing once will change to 2 twice to 3 etc
Use button number 2 to change the next number etc.

When you have entered the correct code; press and hold the SCAN and MODE buttons together until code disappears and radio comes on.
If you made an error, try again, you have three tries before the radio locks up. If the radio locks up; pull the raio from the dash and unhook from power for a few days before trying again.
Good Luck
bc

Unregistered guest
I just bought a 93 vw golf. It didn't come with the owners manual so i know nothing about the alarm system. Anyway long story short i set off the alarm and didn't know how to deactivate it so what i did was disconnect the wires from the negative battery terminal. Its been 20 mins since this happened and i just tried reconnecting it but it still goes off what should i do now i hope i didn't permanently screw anything up. Thank you for any help

brandido
Unregistered guest
I just tried to do this with a 2000 Beetle I just bought - code in the owner's manual doesn't work, so I pulled the radio to see the serial number. But, when I called the dealer with the serial number and the VIN, they say they need $50 bucks just to do a computer search! I am wondering if that is legal given that the owner's manual says a dealer will do it for free!

Vidar
Unregistered guest
I have a 96 golf. My problem is that I can unlock the doors, but except for the driver side door, I can't open the door! Does anyone else have this problem?
So, while I can see that the doors are unlocked, they don't open.

Anonymous

to bradley.... whenever the battery is disconnected it activates the antitheft thing in some way.. and if battery is low it also can trigger the alarm..i had it happen in line for emissions testing, the car conked out wouldn't start but made this horrible alarm sound just to screw me up even more and hat to be pushed out of the lineup by hand...it sucked.

you gotta turn the key to the left once to disable it so you won't have the alarm going off..
I can scan you maybe a few pages of the manual..I have a 95 golf 1.8l incidentally..

Username: Prad

I drive a 1999 BoraV5 and I have a navigation system in it with CD changer which is now paralised none of the buttons seems to be working. The display that I have on it is SAFE and I cant even enter the code which I know. This all happened when I got the car back from the work shop I know for sure the Battery terminal were removed and put back since then I am facing this Problem. PLEASE HELP What i can do I do to get it back to working condition. Besides I live in Africa and the VW Dealership is asking me to get a new system all together. PLS PLS PLS HELP

Unregistered guest
Hello
I have a w golf 2000
the cambelt has been changed but there is now no,power to my radio the battery had to be removed to get access, but is it the fuse that needs to be changed and how do I get there, which is the correct symbol please help!!!

Unregistered guest
Hello
I have a w golf 2000
the cambelt has been changed but there is now no,power to my radio the battery had to be removed to get access, but is it the fuse that needs to be changed and how do I get there, which is the correct fuse symbol please help!!!

veetwin
Unregistered guest
I've just bought a VW Gamma radio to fit into my 99 Golf Tdi. It won't power up at all- I've read that this has happened to other people. The radio is from a Passatt. What is causing this?

Unregistered guest
I have a 94 VW Golf III that we changed the clutch on, and then put a NEW battery into. We tried deactivating the alarm system by locking/unlocking the driver's door, but the alarm sounds constantly (not pulsating) and will not shut off unless we unhook the horn. But...the car will not start and we cannot figure out what to do to deactivate the alarm system so we can start the car??
Help please. :-(

Unregistered guest
As for the Golf III with the alarm issues, I have a 96 Golf that recently had a similar issue. For me, it was caused by a short in one of my oil sensors. You might want to doublecheck the connections on the sensors and battery.

ndu
Unregistered guest
i have a 98 passat and the radio went safe on me.i had the code and tried to enter it but now its locked. what can i do cos its driving me nuts?

sfaragher
Unregistered guest
i have a volkswagon golf mk 4 2001 i changed the battery in the remote central locking button key now i cannot turn off the alarm please can anyone help me it is doing my head in

Unregistered guest
Excellent and descriptive advice from vwman about getting radio out of "safe" mode...which is my problem in my golf.
However, I don't have a MODE button! My "SAFE" message has a "2", reading "2 SAFE". I know my code, and thanks to vwman's post, I know how to enter it...I just can't get it to read "1000"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Unregistered guest
For your radio issue when your radio is in lock, You have to leave the radio on for one hour, which will mean you also need to leave your key in the Ignition. And after one hour then you can push the Mode and Safe buttons again and input your codes. you will only have 2 tries before it will lock up again then the process starts all over.
Hope this Helps?

Unregistered guest
hi guys I have 94 golf III and I have a problem with my automatic gear box it hasn't 5speed I wonder if all golfIII have 4 or 5 speed thanks for your help

vdubvr696
Unregistered guest
from what i know all golfs from 93 - 99 if there automatics then then they are 4 speeds, maybe your manual can verify that
good luck!

vdubvr696
Unregistered guest
i have a 96 golf that was recently in an accident and i need airbags driver and passanger side but i wasnt sure if i just replace the steering wheel with a racing wheel or just sheet metal over the other air bag, if that will cause and defects in my alarm or my safty system. ill take any suggestions
thanks.

gticlimber
Unregistered guest
I have a 94 golf III, can't get clutch cable off of the clutch pedal, spring compressed and disconnected from transmission. Cable end seems stuck, everything else seems free. May there be a clip holding it on and how would I remove it. There is very limited space to work under dash.

Unregistered guest
Need help I have a 2003 Golf Gls . My Moonsoon Radio does not work at all no power. So there is no safe indicators nothing . I can't check the fuse cause its not on the fuse card.

tprofice
Unregistered guest
Thank you all, especially VWman for your advice on unlocking the radio safe. I have a 95 Cabrio (which I believe is a Golf also)that I've had in my possession for 5 years. Never had any major problems with it until I paid off my car note in August '05. I had to replace the battery & the starter (probably due to an alley mechanic - no offense to those of you who really know what they're doing). Anyway, I had the radio safe problem once before, took it to a VW dealership & was charged $41. In short THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I can't live without my radio. Until now, I didn't realize everyone was right about my singing. Too Zen for me. Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
I bought a '96 Jetta this summer. Got a check engine light but all seemed OK so disconnected the battery to see if it would clear. When I tried to reconnect the battery the alarm goes off. How can I disable the darn thing. Haven't even gotten to the radio issue that's bound to appear when this is resolved. Owner's manual is no help. Please save me, the neighbors don't appreciate my problem. HELP

Plattyo
Unregistered guest
Greetings. I'm doing a bunch of long overdue repairs on a 95 golf III. One concerns the doorlock system. Anyone know where the central lock motor and control module is located? Thanks.

Anonymous

I just bought an early 99 Golf, the radio doesn't seem to turn on. I was told it was locked when I bought it, but after reading above i see that my radio doesn't even show SAFE mode.
Anyone know if I should just change or it is there hope for unlocking the damn thing.

Unregistered guest
Hello again, so the clips are broken to remove my stereo, anyone know how to take it out another way? I need tunes in my car, I'm going mad!!
Thanks for your help!

blackops_95
Unregistered guest
With all these problems. I'm surpried VW kept this radio for so long. Anyway, I have a 98 Golf and have the radio porblem '2 SAFE'
How do I reset the radio? I have the scan button everyone refers to, but not the mode button. Any advice would be great. Thanks in Advance/

Username: Mtzgrt

I cannot get the car to sart because of the alarm. I try to disconnect the #6 & 10 wires by the beam light as instructed above but still the same. The black box in the truck still noting. Disconecting the negative part of the battery for 20min still noting. I need an URGENT help please

kalpesh
Unregistered guest
Hi

I have just purchased a VW golf 1999 model

and it has an immobilser ib it. the immboliser flashes a red light on the door ledge when the car is locked.

but recently i have tried changin the battery, and the car still unlcok and locks and the engine works as normal. BUT sometimes the red light doesnt turn on when i lock door.

BUT since then from time to i could be driving and my horn just turns on and doesnt stop. It stops when i turn the engine off, but then when i then turn teh engine on it carries on again.

can some one help me and advise me on two things

a possible problem

and how to chnage teh battery on my remote with losing the frequency for the engine

Unregistered guest
HELLO,

I WANT TO KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE ORIGINAL VW RADIO IN A GOLF. I WANT TO PUT AN MP3 PIONEER RADIO ON THE CAR. WHAT PARTS SHOULD I NEED TO MOVE TO TAKE IT OUT?

THANX

Unregistered guest
the alarm on my 96 Cabrio goes off 1min after i lock the car. can anyone help me find out how to fix this problem. Thanks

Unregistered guest
hi everyone.my question is.i have a vw golf gl 98.I got 2 things. 1 Everytime i start it up every morning it takes atleast 4 to 6 times before it actually turns on and 2nd when im driving and i try to give it more gas or punch it it tends to choke and sometimes it turns off for some reason?Do you have an idea what that can be..thank you..

Unregistered guest
ive bought a 2002 golf, and today the doors stopped locking when i turn on the key, when normally they lock instantly once the engine is turned on and there is a red light permanently illuminated next to the back heater button, and the central locking no longer makes the beap sound when pressed, can anyone tell me what the problem is? looked in the handbook!

Username: Eriksg

Riga, Latvia

Upload

Hi. I am writing from Latvia, therefore I'm sorry for my English grammar. I have a problem like other VW Golf III owners. I have Golf III 1995. My original VW Beta stereo is in safe mode. I don't have a MODE button and SCAN button too. And i do not remember my stereo code. I attachment I put in photo with my stereo, but quality is very bad.Maybee someone had a simple stereo and know how to halp me. I'll be very greatefull if someone can halp me.
Thanks.

TIM 69
Unregistered guest
I have a 96 Jetta GL with the Premium Audio System. I know you can hook up a trunk cd changer and I am hoping the wiring is already run to the trunk, but im not sure where it is. Does anyone know if it is there for sure and where it might be?

Unregistered guest
I have a 95 vw golf cl 1.8 litre- I was driving home from work and all of a sudden the alarm went off while driving- I mean the horn was a honking and the lights were a flashing-had to stop and shut off car and start again to get home- had trouble at first to get it to start but then it went. Got home and as soon as I took the key out of the door from locking it the alarm went off again. Any ideas as to what might have triggered the alarm??I have had this car for 1 week so I am nhot familiar with it at all.

Username: Speedgolf

Port Orange, Florida USA

Hey guys..... I have a 95 VW Golf MK3.
for all of you who have problems with the radio system on "safe mode", u gotta look in the owner's manual for the 4 digit code, if u don't have the manual (like me heheheh) then take it to the dealership. I also have a problem related with the fuel security system. I had just had an accident (almost cried man, that car is beautiful) and I know when the car's hit, a security system shuts the fuel down for any fire. but i can't find the switch, someone said is in the trunk, but I didn't see it. Hope u guys can help me out..... cheers!!!

Unregistered guest
Hello

I've just bought a 1998 Passat estate - really really pleased with it but for a couple of things which maybe someone can help me with.
1. The little red diode by the lock peg on the drivers door never flashes. I assume it should and wondered why it wasn't.
2. It's the SE edition with the wing mirrors that are supposed to close in. I've tried twisting the little knob round to the 'mirrors in' position but got nothing, and I tried waggling it about but still nothing. How should I get those to work?
3. Finally, the airbag warning light is permanantly on. The guy who sold it to me said it was an electrical fault though I didn't wholly believe him and am going to get it checked. Has anyone else had an experience like this, and is it a common fault? AND is it easy to fix?

Great car though. Love the blue/red dashboard lights!

George

Username: Speedgolf

Port Orange, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
Hey what up George:
about the red diabe on the drivers side, yes, it should flash everytime you lock the door so the alarm would come on.... but if it isn't, then I don't know what the problem could be. And about the airbag warning, mine is permanently on. One day I was installing the oil pressure gauge and I was the connection was unplugged (maybe the guy who I bought the car from didn't like the light) so I plugged it back and now the light is on the whole time. My car is a 95 Golf Mk3... should be the same in your 98 Passat. hope this helped

Unregistered guest
I would like to know, how do you open the remote to check the model# or to change the battery? I have a 02 Jetta. Is there a website showing how to open it?

Unregistered guest
hi, i have a golf 99 reg and today my headlight bulb went - as i tried to change the bulbs, i tested them and they were fine. i checked the fuse panel, took some out to check and put them back - now my car won't start at all - has the immobilser tripped - anyone know if thats the problem or what i can do to get it started again?

Antekurela
Unregistered guest
HELP
I have seen few messages about radio in safe mode. I also have the same problem. My 98 Passat radio is in "2 SAFE" and I do not have mode button. I have only SCAN button. Can anyone help me how to get to input my code which I have. :-)

Unregistered guest
Hi i drive a VW Bora 1999 Model and i am having the problems with the navigation system again. I have not driven my car for some days so the battery had gone down and now after changing the battery the system would not come on. can any 1 pls help me. Thanks.

Username: Lenny313

Lehighton, Pa Usa

cannot start my 95 vw golf.doesnot seem to have spark or fuel could it be anti theft,if so how do i get it started.

Unregistered guest
Just bought my daughter a 1999 jetta GL. Radio is not a VW radio. The slarm goes off all the time especially at night. What can we do and what is the problem?

bk
Unregistered guest
so i changed the battery on my 96 jetta gl and had the problem of the alarm going off when i touched the negative cable to the terminal. my problem is that neither of my key locks work (the drivers side hasnt worked for years, i know 5 other people with this problem, and the passanger side just went too.) anyway, i stuck the key in the ignition and nothing happened, totaly immobleized. long story short, my sisters boyfriend suggested turnig the key so the car was on and then hooking up the cable. it worked!! no alarm screaming and the car starts and runs. now the only thing is is that my stereo is in safe mode and i have no owners manual or code.

any suggestions on how to get the code, for free?

bk
Unregistered guest
so i changed the battery on my 96 jetta gl and had the problem of the alarm going off when i touched the negative cable to the terminal. my problem is that neither of my key locks work (the drivers side hasnt worked for years, i know 5 other people with this problem, and the passanger side just went too.) anyway, i stuck the key in the ignition and nothing happened, totaly immobleized. long story short, my sisters boyfriend suggested turnig the key so the car was on and then hooking up the cable. it worked!! no alarm screaming and the car starts and runs. now the only thing is is that my stereo is in safe mode and i have no owners manual or code.

any suggestions on how to get the code, for free?

JLY
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have a 98 jetta and was SUCCESSFUL in restarting my radio out of SAFE mode. I only have the SCAN button, but it was not used to turn my radio back on. Rather, after entering the 4 digit code I had to press the right side of the SEEK button for 2 or more seconds. The right side of the SEEK button has a "greater than" (>) symbol on it.

vwman's instructions above are top notch so, if you don't have both the SCAN and MODE buttons, follow his instructions for getting and entering your code and use the SEEK button instead to enter it. Hopefully that will work for you.

ALSO, you should NOT pay anything for getting your code number. My radio card, in my sound system manual (seperate from the owner's manual), was not filled out (ie - didn't have the 4 digit code written down) when I recieved the car. However, the back of the card specifically states:
"If you lose your Radio Card and the code number, your authorized VOLKSWAGEN Dealer will help you free-of-charge."
I'm sure many of you aren't aware of this because you don't have your Radio Card or the Sound System Manual. So, when you call the dealer and they ask for $, reference the above quote and tell them to quit trying to nickel and dime you. --JLY

Anonymous

HI
Does anyone know what to do when you lose your immobiliser, I can get into the car but it wont start without it.
Someone told me it costs about £200 to disconnect it - please tell me this is not right!!
Thanks for your help
Lanners

Unregistered guest
I have a 2001 Mark 4 Golf. Recently when having the boot open with all the doors unlocked, for no apparent reason everything locks. This happens when nowhere near the key. Can anyone tell me what is going on as when this happens and you shut the boot lid down the whole car is locked and I am afraid one day I will lock my keys in the boot.

Thank you.

VW tuneboy
Unregistered guest
Hello there! If yo have the radio that I think you have... follow these instructions, assuming you HAVE the 4 digit code for your specific serial number radio.

1. Press and hold SIMULTANEOUSLY the SCAN and MODE buttons (they'e on top of each other at the left side of the radio selection buttons). You will need to hold them in for about 2 seconds. You will be presented with a row of 0's with the first (left) one blinking. Utilizing the station preset keys 1 through 4 enter the code of your radio. Then immediately hold both the SCAN and MODE buttons in for about another 2 seconds. Your radio will 'unlock' from SAFE mode, and you're back in tuneland.

Jay OHendon
Unregistered guest
I have a 98 golf GTI and I have a problem with my rear doors, when I close them they don't latch so I can't even lock them. It only happens to the rear doors, I think it maybe something to do with the electronics as I've had a few gliches. Any help much appreciated

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem. I have only SCAN button... and I can not go out of SAFE. I have the code... and the problem is that I can not enter it... any ideas ?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have recently bought a VW Passat (2000 reg), but the Gamma radio unit had faults with it. So I bought another one but the guy who sold it to me did not have the code for it. please could someone work out a code for this ser. number VWZ1Z3X8497181 for me. Thanks in anticipation - ST

Unregistered guest
hey,
i have a 94 Golf GL and I cannot unlock my drivers side door. I can't unlock it with the key or from inside. It seems to be stuck. I have tried pulling up on the lock from the inside with alot of force and no luck. This is really annoying. just wondering how i can fix this.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hey people, my name is Matt and I live in the Isle of Man...here's a freebie for you!!!

I just made some stereo removal tools....this is how you do it...so don't buy any specialist removal tools cos this works, doesn't break or scratch anything and takes, literally 2 seconds...here goes!!!! get yourself a junior hacksaw blade, get a pair of pliers and snip the junior hacksaw blade in half(doesn't matter at all if it's not exactly in the middle)....stick one half in the slot on one side of the stereo and the other half in the other side and push both in, (they only go in so far)..put two fingers in the cassette slot and gently pull....and that's it, your stereo is fully out!!!

Cheers people

Matt

sek7135
Unregistered guest
I have a 1997 VW jetta and i took it to go get smoged and they said that the check engine light had been disabled and we need to re-able it if we are going to get it to past smog... need help please.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
None of my keys work!! I first thought It could be the batteries in them, so I went and got brand new ones to find out they still dont work.
I read on how to turn the alarm off, and that helped; however, I dont feel comfortable leaving my car out there without an alarm on...What could I do?

Username: Garettsummers

i have a late modle 1999 jetta the onwer befor me broke the remote and the alarm went off he then some how used the trunk to disarm it i have a new remote and can not find any info on how to turn alarm back on or program remote the alarm is not working now help please

Username: Will_morse

RIVERSIDE, CA RIVERSIDE

HEY I HAVE A 97 JETTA GL AND I WAS DOIN MY RADIO AND SOMETHING RESET THE ALARM...THAT I THOUGHT WAS TAKEN OUT. NOW MY CAR WILL NOT START UNLESS I POP THE CLUTCH. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN FIX THE ALARM TO JUST STAY OFF OR EVEN WHERE THE ALARM BOX MIGHT BE?

Unregistered guest
I have 1996 VW Golf... I locked my car up the other night and the next day when I went to unlock it I couldn't get it unlocked, the drivers side lock has been broke for a while and evidently the passenger side is broke now as well... I opened the hatch back on it climbed in and got it unlocked when I opened the drivers door the alarm went off... I have tried everything, disconnecting the battery, getting in and trying to start it, even the unlock button on the dashboard... Everytime the car is touched the alarm goes off... Can anyone help to get this disabled so I can turn off the alarm and get my car started... Thank you very much.

Username: Swengolly

I got a 96 Jetta. And all of a sudden the running lights will not go off. Ive resorted to unhooking the battery so it dosent die. Can anyone help?

Unregistered guest
Hi all, just bought a 97 golf 1.4 and got supplied with only one key. Got another cut from the market but it only opens the doors and wont start the car? so I guess it has an immobiliser, VW said I need the key code which I dont have any help would be great or Im stuck with one key!!!

Anonymous

Hi - same problem for me - I have the radio out - does anyone know if the 4 digit code is on or in the radio itself?

Username: Sptrav

BOLCHA a possible solution is you need to synchronize your remote, don't know what car you have, mine is a 2001 golf you press one of the buttons for ten seconds or more then open the door with the key.

Anyone know why my remote will open only the drivers door, even when button clicked twice, spoke to vw they even want money to inspect!!

Username: Kaybee

I got a 1996 jetta and everytime i unlock my car when i have my alarm on. The alarm goes off and i have no idea how to shut it off. so i just wait till it turns off it self.

Username: Boneym

Kingston, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Everyone I talked to says push the Mode button and then the Scan button well I have a problem which one is the mode button, have a look at this picture of my radio and please tell me which is which?????
Upload

Upload

Username: Caro

HI

Help !!

I have a Golf GL 95, and I have problems to connect the cd charger to the radio. My car have the original radio "DELUXE". How can I program the radio to listen cd's.

Username: Dinobaby

I have a Golf GTI Turbo and I'm having problems programing my phone to the Gamma Radio.

PLEASE HALP

Username: Krazykel7

hi my names kel.i have a gold m reg mark 3 with a huge problem. ive only ever had one key, which ive lost. i tried another ignition barrel which starts but immediately cuts out, wierd thing is though is that the car revs as normal but dies after about 2 seconds. i have been told this is the immobiliser kicking in, and VW want to charge me ridiculous prices to computer it etc, is is possible to override the immobiliser or disconnect it?! please help me. im car less :-(

Username: Teambot878

I have a 95 jetta and I unhooked the battery because the alarm wont turn off. I cannot turn on the car because of this. I do not have a remote thing to turn it off either. can someone help

Username: Teambot878

Two things, I cannot get my radio to work. All it says is safe and I don't have a manual. And my mph guage stops working all the time. can someone help.

Username: Golf_owner

Im living in the UK, I have a vw gamma V stereo (on 1999 golf) which was locked. I got the code for free from the local dealer after giving chassis no and serial no. of the stereo. They gave me the code the same day which I entered using buttons 1234. After the code is entered press the seek '>' as corectly pointed out by JLY. THanks for you help mate!

Username: Ezah

OK, i bought a used '94 VW Golf. The alarm was tripped so the car wont start, and the horn will not stop going off. To make matters worse, i not have door locks, as the guy who sold it to me broke them off and left them in the car in a baggy. Help, what can i do to bypass or reset the alarm. Right no i have to leave the battary unhooked.

Username: Sallysue

Help! I have a 2001 Jetta GL. When I use the key fob to unlock my doors, it will open for the 10-15 seconds and then lock back if no one opens the door. Well, for some reason the car does not sense the driver side door is open, and it locks me out almost every time. If I do get in before it locks back and I try to start my car, my alarm goes off unless I hit unlock before starting my car. Any suggestions to my problem?

Username: Nezam

RADIO FIX. How to get your radio out of SAFE mode.
1.) Remove your radio. you will need the serial number inscibed on the front or back. Call a VW dealer and tell him you need a code to take your radio off safe mode. The dealer will ask you for your vin# (I think) and he will ask you to come to the dealership as well (so you can pay him for the code). The code shouldn't cost $95. Next, Once you have the code, put the radio back into the car. Hold the SCAN and MODE buton. If you have 2 SCAN buttons HOLD them both until you see the number change. Now you are ready to enter the code. To enter the code you have to use the first 4 numbers or radio station settings. Each station setting represents a digit of the code. For example, 1=code digit number 1. 2=code digit number 2, and so on. So if your radio code # is 5889, you would have to press 1 5 times to make it 5, and press 2 8 times to show an 8, and so on. After you have entered the code you need to hold SCAN and MODE again until the radio works. It should only take a second or 2. I hope I remembered all the steps. this worked for me. Golfs are unique. They seem to have a lot of funny ways of working but they DO work!
Hope this helps.

Username: Nezam

So you need car alarm help eh? Try this. Put your key into the driver side keyhole. Turn the key 2 times counter clock wise. That Should lock the doors and turn the car alarm off. I might have the rotation of the key backwards so if it doesn't work try roatating the key clockwise instead.

Username: Amalick

Hello,
I have a 2003 Golf, like many others, my radio will not power up, however "Safe" is not displayed. I believe it is the fuse, however when I opened the fuse panel... no "radio" symbol! No power whatsoever except for a slowly blinking red light. Anyone else run into this?

Username: Graemeross

Maple ridge, Bc Canada

so just a quick note, to get the stereo out, i didn't buy a special tool, i just cut the ends off a metal coat hanger and plugged them into the four holes and pulled, worked no problem. just a way to save a few bucks.

Username: Michaelgryzna

Anyone out there help me? I have a 1998 Golf Tdi. Recently took the battery off to recharge it, and when I refitted it, and switched the ignition on, everything was dead except for the handbrake warning light and a very suspicious buzzing noise from behind the dash that I've never heard before. Also a ticking sound from the headlamp switch which stops when I move the switch to main beam. I've tried switching the (aftermarket I think) alarm on and off several times, locking and unlocking the doors similarly. Nothing works. The owners manual mentions the need to reset things after removing and refitting the battery, but doesn't say how. Any bright ideas, anyone? Michael.

Username: Lilredog

Aurora, Colorado

I see a lot of problems with the VW car alarms going out of control, like going off when you try and start the car. I have a 98 Jetta that had that same prob. The fix was one in a million and took me hours of research online and hours in my car. The probem was with the grounding of the alarm, in this case a broken grounding wire in the rubber boot in the drivers side doorjam. It was a heavier/thicker wire than the others and it broke in the middle so it was easy to see that it was the prob.
I hope this helps some of you from getting too fustrated.

Aurora, Colorado

As for Remote problem with the alarm. Some dealers will charge you a lot just to "program" the remote like "Checkered flag VW" in Virginia Beach, VA. ($30+) The VW dealer here in Colorado just told me how to do it FREE. From what I remember you have to put the key in the drivers door lock and turn counterclockwise and hold untill you hear two beeps from the horn. At that time, press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the alarm remote. I can't remember if you should hear another beep but this should program the new remote to the car. If this doesn't work try pushing different buttons on the alarm.
Good Luck

Aurora, Colorado

To program remote (s) see below. I got this off of another site. I was a little off. (Sorry)

Original (1995-1997)
(1) remote: (about $15-20 online or on eBay, search by part number)
a. Part number: I DON'T KNOW!
b. FCC id #: GOH-MM6-101890 (DOC:1409 K791)
c. Two buttons (arm/disarm)
(2) Module --
a. Part number: 357 953 233B

Newer (1998+)
(1) remote: (about $33 from dealer, or between $13-25 on ebay)
a. Part number: 1EM 937 047A
b. FCC id #: M3GHU01WT (It also says Clarion on the back)
c. Three buttons (lock, unlock, trunk)
(2) Module
a. Part number: White module, P/N 1HM 937 045M or 1HM 937 045Q (045Q more expensive, don't know why, there was also a model that ended in 045L, less common and black in color while newer ones are white, also 1HM 937 043 M is supposed to work, though this is an older unit it seems, but still okay to use)
b. FCC id #: M3GHU01R

*hella units:
FCC id #: NBG730956T -- don't work for these alarm/keyless modules!!!

To program the remotes:
1. Put your spare key into the ignition and turn to the ON position, DONT start the car.
2. Close door. In the drivers side, turn the key to the left (unlock position) and hold it (for 8-10 seconds).
3. Alarm horn will beep 3 times. Let go of the key so it sits in the lock.
4. With each of the remotes, separately press the unlock button. Each button will cause the alarm horn to beep.
5. Turn the key to the left again and hold until the alarm horn beeps three times.
6. Done

Notes:
(1) It looks like 1HM937045Q replaces 1HM937043B which only worked on a different line of cars (VIN 1H-W-000 001 and on).
(2) Sometimes people blow the Cig lighter, dome light, etc fuse when installing with battery connected (marked "(15)", $2.69 for 8 of them at Kragen).
(3) When the FCC id ends in T its "transmitter" and in R it's "receiver"

I got this information from these threads:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=763940
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...98155
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...78115
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...27926

and this site:http://matndahat.dhs.org/Jetta/RKE.htm <--

Hope this helps someone.

R/

Ed

Username: Xalojuji

Hi, I know exactly how to enter my radio's car 4 digits but I don't have the code, can anyone give some codes so I could try in my radio's car pleassssse ???

Username: Golfking

If you have VW Golf Security Alarm problems - check the vaccum motor located in the trunk, right under the left tail light assembly for a water leak. In a heavy rain, water works in through the tail light
assembly due to dried / split gasket - works its way into the circut board - shorts things out. The VW dealer could never locate where the Alarm problems were coming from, so they would change a door lock, charge $230 and the same problem would always return soon after a heavy rain.
By the time the Service Depatrment would get to the car - the water would have dried up and the alam would work fine. So, in order to charge the customer for something they did not fix - they would replace the door lock. They never had a clue to the real prolem in the first place.

Username: Jchechile

ally
did you ever find a solution to your problem?
i'm having the same problem now, except i have a 96 jetta.

if anyone else has an answer for this - that'd be helpful!

Hello,
I have a 2003 Golf, like many others, my radio will not power up, however "Safe" is not displayed. I believe it is the fuse, however when I opened the fuse panel... no "radio" symbol! No power whatsoever except for a slowly blinking red light. Anyone else run into this?

Username: Tripleslutz

Hi,
i Have a 97 mk3 GTi. I have had numorous problems with my Factory Alarm Module needing to be replaced. I am now geting a extensive stereo and alarm put into my car. My question is does anyone know how to override the factory alarm so that i don't need to replace the module again since i am putting an aftermarket alarm in.

Please help

Username: Trix

Hi,
those who have the VW beta 94-96 version of the stereo (one without "SCAN" or "MODE" buttons) should do the following in order reinitialize the stereo. Hold down "TP" and "TA" buttons for at least 2 seconds, number 1000 will appear on the display. Now you should press radio memory buttons 1-4 in order to enter the code and again hold down "TP" and "TA" for 2 seconds to confirm the entered code. Stereo should be ready and kicking again ;)

Username: Ejepsen

I've also experienced the problem with my carradio showing 'SAFE'.
I looked in the car-manual and found an insert with the code and instructions for how to enter it. So check the manual first (CTFM)

Username: Jds81

Wow seems like everyone is having problems with their alarms. I think mine is the same to the one above. I have a 96 Jetta and both locks don't work and I don't have an auto.starter....in anycase, the alarm on my car just turned on one cold morning and I've had to disconnect the battery. Does anyone know how to turn the alarm off another way?

Username: Remo31

Jen, did u fix the problem? I'm having the exact same problem and I am about to push the car off a cliff? help!!!

Hi Remo, Sorry no I haven't. I called my local VW deller and they said the only way to turn the alarm off is to fix the locks because that's where the sensor is located. So I'm getting my car towed next week. Thank God for CAA!

As for the advice above, I was told that it's not wise to do that in cold weather...the battery can explode. If you want to give it a try I was told it would be best to bring the battery inside until it's no longer cold and then hook it up again to try it.
Good luck to you:-)

Username: Remo31

Jen, it took me about 2 hrs of trial and error but I fixed it...here's how:
After charging your battery, disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and leave it for 20 minutes. Before reconnecting it, turn your key half way in the ignition...at the position just before starting your engine. Also, press the clutch all the way. Then reconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Start your engine. Voila! I hope this saves you some money from those dealership thieves!

the topic on this thread seems to be covering two issues at once...

ps i still haven't figured out my problem with the radio and door alarm losing power when the key is released after turning the engine on... it's not a simple thing like a fuse because they both work when simply turning the key to the first click to turn on accessory power... so I'm guessing it might be an ignition switch?

any thoughts?

Username: Cdubvdub

for those having trouble with a VW Alarm.

I have a 97 Golf and was having trouble with the alarm going off every time i tried to start the car. I thought it was the battery, but it turns out there were broken wires in the doorjam causing the anti-theft system to malfunction.

as a side note, to disengage the alarm, put the key in the on position, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, then reconnect the negative terminal and it should reset the alarm.

Username: Brianetg

anybody looking for the fuse for the radio on the Golf GTi will not find it on the main fuse board of the car... it is found at the back of the radio itself ! This is why it isn't seen on the fuse board card (fusecard) either...

Username: Serg164

did Jen ever try the advice about disconnecting the battery for 20 min ? did that disarm the alarm ?

Yes I did try Remo's advice (thanks by-the-way) but it didn't work. What worked for me was I took a star screwdriver and inserted it in the passenger side key whole (the key lock was removed) and by turning it it disalarmed my car. Voila! I keep the screwdriver in my car now .... just in case. Hope this helps anyone.

Username: Kar5133

i have a 2002 vw gti and my alarm randomly goes off at any time when the car is locked. any ideas what is wrong?

Username: Vwtwullit

i have a 2001 vw golf whose alarm system has
lost its mind. first, the keyfob stopped working
(intermittently at first). i assume this was a
battery problem. is there a way to put in a new
battery? next, the driver's side lock stopped
working. then the problems began. close the door and the alarm automatically goes on. sometimes, not right away. try to leave the windows open, close the door, and (sometimes) the windows automatically go up and then the alarm goes on. only way to turn off alarm is via key on back hatch. if all doors are locked, that's
the only way to get in, too. anyone know how to
fix this problem? i tried looking at the wire
bundles in the doors, but they seemed fine. i
didn't peer *inside* the bundle because it was
covered... but the covering looked fine. should i
cut it open to further inspect?

Username: Jdub0215

Mentioned earlier works!!!!

Radio in SAFE mode:

Power OFF the radio...hold the MODE button in and power the radio ON. A 2 digit code will come up on the screen, keep the mode button held in and everything will come back up.

Thanks again.

Username: Jdub0215

On my 96 Golf the alarm went off today and I finally got it off but then the immobilizer kicked in and the thing wouldn't start........anyhow I found that putting the key in the ignition and putting it in the ON position with the driver side door open for about 10 minutes gives the ignition a chance to read the key again and disable the immobilizer.....that worked and now i can go to the store. ;)

Username: Pmpat

Gjovik, Norway Norway

1998 Passat 1.9 TDI Alarm triggers randomly..... Most truble in rain and cold days. Any ideas?

Username: Rocketbails

I have a 99 Jetta 5 speed. All of a sudden many problems have occurred with this car. First is the car alarm. When I try to open the door with the key, the alarm is not engaged. But when I try to start the car, it won't start and the alarm will go off. Second, the car will hesitate when you push on the gas. And third, there is a loud rattling noise coming from under the car. Please help!!!!}

Username: Salfordgaz66

ManchesterUk

hi everyone can any one help......my key fob to my golf mark 4 has stopped working....so i cant use the fob to lock/unlock....i can only use the key to do it..does anyone av any suggestions on how to reset the fob!!!!

i just had a rattling noise problem, it turned out to be just the front end of the exhaust came loose cause it was old... it cost 100 with parts and labor. took them only a few hours to fix.

Username: Nick7li

Mentioned earlier works!!!!

Radio in SAFE mode:

Power OFF the radio...hold the MODE button in and power the radio ON. A 2 digit code will come up on the screen, keep the mode button held in and everything will come back up.

Thanks again.
And mine was locked up after 2 wrong tries and this still worked first time!

Username: Nick7li

Post Number: 4
ok one more thing, this does not last forever, this is a temporary fix, you have to keep doing it because it goes back to safe after about 5 minutes, but it will work over and over.

Username: Valeriea

I have a 2001 Cabrio, not a Golf but SAME problem as some. When it rains my windows go up and down by themselves. Well this past time I was not at home when the windows went down by themselves and it rained and rained. So then the alarm problem started. Driving down the road and it goes "beep beep beep" sounds like the alarm not the horn. Took it the VW dealership and they have no idea, NONE. Except my driver side window's motor is shot and that is $600. My remote broke about a year ago so I ordered a new one. The dealership told me I can't disarm the alarm, ANY advice would be greatly appreciated....

Username: Owlie18

Clarkston , Wa Asotin

I have a 96 cabrio, we jumped my car and now the alarm is activated. I did the battery thing, but the car will start up once then die, after that it justs cranks over. Any suggestions

Username: Raeman

KirkcaldyScotland

hi to all,i have a 52 golf tdi se,and have recently started having problems with my boot lock. the sign on the dash keeps coming on and beeping,yet my boot remains closed. it only seems to happen in the wet,and when i activate the alarm it keeps goin off. is there anyone who knows how i can lock the car without activating the alarm? and does anyone have the same problem.

Username: Tbeaudet

I have a 99 Passat. Battery died now radio in SAFE mode. I turned power off.....held SCAN button in while turning power back on...FIXED!

Username: Tbeaudet

I have a 99 Passat. Battery died now radio in SAFE mode. I turned power off.....held SCAN button in while turning power back on...FIXED!

Username: Engineer_bill

To DISABLE the alarm on a VW New Beetle...

OPEN the trunk (hatch).
OPEN the front door.
START the car.

Kind of like control-alt-delete, huh?

This works on a VW Beetle and may work on other models of Volkswagon.

Now, does anyone know how to turn the alarm back ON?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us