Wrong Forum for sure...but who cares

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky Usa

Post Number: 417
ok guys...i know this is the wrong forum for this...but i have noticed alot of you know alot about cars...and i have some questions to ask...see i have a major problem...i wanna become a mechanic...and know my way around an engine pretty well..but i dont know how to learn about this stuff..and i cna get confused..this doesnt have to do with that...but i have a question on what are some cheap ways to boost hp and make a car faster...any ideas...like under a grand for each idea...prices please lol...thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 27
well buy an exahaust and aftermarket airfilter depending on the car that increase about 25-50 hp average that will cost between 200-800 dollars other than that u could add a turbo or bore the engine or somthing like that then u could always add NOS (nitrious oxcide) ya that will deffintly boost the HP alot

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 42
Take out your entire interior, minus the driver seat and some of the dash. It'll drop a ton of weight and doesn't cost a dime.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 445
well sorry outtanine lol...i cant do that..i like to make my car look good...i just want a little somen special....or is there anyway i can just make my cars engine look completly bad a$$ or somen thats cheap...like i have an underbody neon kit and some neons all over my car...new banging a$$ system on its way...i just want it to get up and go...any chance i could put the new exahaust on...and where could i get one..what a new intake or anything...i just dont know...and to let you know if this helps...i have a 1998 plymouth neon expresso...i dont wanna pour money in it...i just want somen that can handle its own on take off

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3361
If you want the one best seat of the pants upgrade for performance, forget the engine for now and get a lower (numerically higher) axle ratio. Gearing multiplies torque, and with overdrive you won't notice huge gas mileage losses as long as you don't go crazy with the gear ratio. You'll notice big benefits in acceleration and seat of the pants performance, more so than what you could do to the engine with that amount of money.

As far as the engine, the first thing is the exhaust. First thing I do is a full exhaust upgrade, from the headers all the way back. Then, upgrade the induction, such as with a performance air filter like the K&N FIPK. If you're planning more extreme upgrades in the future, you'll want a a larger throttle body, bigger injectors, and to upgrade the intake manifold and cylinder head. Then you'd add a higher duration camshaft to make more power in the upper RPM range. After all that, you'll need to consider a computer chip upgrade to take advantage of all of it. In all honesty, one upgrade isn't going to make a huge difference, the total package has to work together for you to make respectable power. It's a lot more involved and considerably more expensive to upgrade fuel injected cars compared to something like an old V-8. Where in a V-8 you'd add a new intake, carburetor, and exhaust system, and possibly port the cylinder heads, with a fuel injected car you have to program the computer for performance, change throttle bodies, upgrade fuel rails and injectors, change the heads, intake, entire breathing assembly, it's just a lot of upgrades that have to be done and every fuel injected car is a little bit different. I'm not well voiced in Neons or tuner car upgrades in general, so I can't really give you down to the point specifics and prices for parts. For specific upgrade info, you may want to find a Neon forum since they're more familiar with part companies and what has worked for them. Remember that the more power you add, the more you'll need to upgrade your cooling system and oiling system to handle the heat, and you'll possibly have to upgrade the engine internals to withstand the extra power.

Turbocharging and supercharging offer substantial benefits, but usually doesn't mix well with stock engines. You usually need to have the heads o-ringed and upgrade bearings, rings, valve seals, and other parts to handle the boost.

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 28
well if u want to install it urself just go to autozone or napa and buy the exahaust or intake the exhaust will probaly cost between 200-300 dollars and im not sure about the intake it depends on what brand u get and if u want to make ur motor look bada$$ just paint everything under the hood so it looks like u did alot of modifying but the i still think u should just add nitrious then ur car will look really bada$$ and it will boost the HP alot

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3362
Or you could just obliterate it and go the hot rod way: Drop a 350 Chevy in it :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Aaaavv

Post Number: 48
jonathan read my post in head units please, sorry didnt mean to thread jack

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 30
A 350 in a neon, i would love to see that. Ultimate sleeper.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3363
Nitrous only helps with the flip of a switch, and really that motor will blow up after using it for a while. NOS only lasts for a couple of seconds and the refills are very expensive. That's why I like making naturally aspirated power, you get it every time you hit the gas. If anything, I'd do a turbo or supercharger before nitrous, as long as the block could handle it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3364
Which post was yours, Adam? Sorry, too lazy to look all over the place :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
jonathan read my post in head units please, sorry didnt mean to thread jack when you get a chance

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
jonathan read my post in head units when you get a chance please, sorry didnt mean to thread jack

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 449
nick actually....my gf's dad is a huge freak in cars and restores old cars and is a big guy in cinci's street rods one of the best guys around here and i just want a few things until summer of 2006 cause that year he is planning on taking out my engine...taking back the dash or something..he confused me alot...and wants to drop a 450 in it redo all the axels and alot of stuff...he said it will only cost 5000 when im done and it will be my moms graduation present to me...he wants me to do all the work with him there so that i can learn a ton about the engine while were doing it...what do you think about a 450 in a neon lol...i highly doubt that it will handle it...but he says it can be done

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 450
nick actually....my gf's dad is a huge freak in cars and restores old cars and is a big guy in cinci's street rods one of the best guys around here and i just want a few things until summer of 2006 cause that year he is planning on taking out my engine...taking back the dash or something..he confused me alot...and wants to drop a 450 in it redo all the axels and alot of stuff...he said it will only cost 5000 when im done and it will be my moms graduation present to me...he wants me to do all the work with him there so that i can learn a ton about the engine while were doing it...what do you think about a 450 in a neon lol...i highly doubt that it will handle it...but he says it can be done

it might not have been exactly a 450...it was above 450 at least...not sure what though..he showed it to me in a mag about christmas time and said were going to do it no matter what lol

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Post Number: 32
Neon with a 450. Thats scary.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
my post is the top one in the head units section johnathen. it says question for johnathen

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 452
haha...def odd...honeslty..i dont think it will happen...but i really hope it does haha...i want to know what jonathon has to say...and i wonder how that would stack up against those cars on fast in the furious...lol...sorry guys..i dont like foreighn cars much

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3365
If that's the case, forget upgrading the 4 banger altogether and focus on plopping that 450 (do you mean 454?) in there. You can stick with that axle upgrade I mentioned above to tie you over, no since in spending tons of money to upgrade an engine that you're going to rip out. Little stuff like exhaust and an air filter, but don't do anything major, 2006 will be here before you know it. Just put a quiet exhaust on it once you get that big block in there, you'll have the ultimate ego-killer for every guy that races you :-). Any of you remember the SHOgun Ford Festiva? They plopped a 220hp Taurus SHO engine in a Festiva, car ran 0-60 in under 5 seconds and ran 12s in the 1/4 mile. That's a pretty good sleeper if you ask me, noone expects it from a Festiva.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 456
id say....jonathon...this is really a dream for me if it happens haha...but if it does how fast you think this could get up and go...and should i convert it from front wheel to rear wheel drive...and while were at it is it possible to make it a manual instead of an automatic...i love to drive manuals lol...anything else you think i should know??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
johnathen dont forget about my thread in the head units section

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3367
I answered the thread. Subfanatic, If you want my honest opinion, the best thing to do would be to just buy a car that already has a powerful engine saying you're somewhat tight on cash. Regardless of if that 454 can fit in there, you're going to cut the car to pieces and the chassis of that car will have a lot of trouble handling the power the engine will put out motor. It's a lot of work and fabrication in a chassis that can't handle a ton of torque. You'll also need a stronger suspension to handle the weight of the block. I prefer older Mustangs and Camaros, they are cheap, easy to work on, and the engines are cheap to upgrade, parts availability is immense for them as well. Any car with an American V-8 will have a huge availability for performance parts and they'll come cheaper than what you'd pay to upgrade a 4 cylinder, and you'll get more performance for the money spent as well. BTW, a 65 Mustang even with it's cast iron V8 and transmission weighs about the same as your Neon, as well as Honda Civics and others in that range. They only weighed around 2600 lbs or so in coupe form. You can do a ton of nearly free or very cheap upgrades to a cast iron V8 like porting cylinder heads, setting timing advance to be more aggressive, tuning the carburetor, and other things. Exhaust upgrades are simple and come in a bolt on form, intake and carburetor are easy as well. Another plus is that with the Mustangs and Camaros, newer 5 speed OD transmissions will bolt right in place with little modification, and you can change out that granny gear without sacrificing gas mileage, that's the biggest thing that held those old musclecars from making huge performance numbers in the 1/4 mile, the other thing was the suspension. You'll simply get more performance for your dollar out of a V-8, it's pretty cut and dry in that department. Plus, since you want to become a mechanic, these cars are very easy to work on and make great starter cars for you to become familiar with working on cars.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 469
jonathon..im really glad you said that...my dream car is a 69 camaro...god i want one so bad..and my mom is thinking about getting me a old el camino cuase she wants somen to haul stuff around our farm in..think i could make some mods to that to get some expiereince and drop the thing on the neon??

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3368
Those old El Caminos hauled a$$. No weight on the back end. That would be a great starter car as well. Expense would be about the same as a Camaro, you'd just have a hard time fitting subs, etc. in there b/c of the small cabin space. I'd definately do that over the Neon, just a cooler car :-).

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 471
haha i agree jon...well where you think i can get one that runs for cheap my spending limit is like 2500 for that or a ol truck or somen

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3369
You'll just have to look in Auto Traders and other sources. Usually you'll get the best prices from personal owners in your area, though, people that try to sell in Auto Traders etc are trying to get the most that they can for their cars. You should be able to find a workable one in that price range, may not be the prettiest.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 472
well honestly..i dont want it to be pretty...i want to fix it up and in the end know...wow i did that...

Bronze Member
Username: Pologreen

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 31
Subfanatic, Jonathan hit the nail on the head! He is 100% right about his whole post. We are not trying to disrespect you or your car, but Neons just are not built for what you are looking for. Yes, the factory built some quick versions, just not fast versions. Torque is the name of the game on the street. You could look into buying a mid 80's through mid 90's Camero, Trans-am or a Mustang. Just be sure they have the V-8's in them. Try to steer clear of the 305's in the GM's though. Go with the 350's. Fords 302 (5.0) or their 4.6's are good motors too. Just for the record, my vote goes for GM products ;) There will be a huge differance between one of those and your Neon. After you drive one a while, I'm sure you'll get the bug to modify it, but not for a while. Be forwarned though, speed costs. Trust me, it's expensive to have a fast car by itself, let alone one with a sweet stereo system in it!

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 473
haha...trust me..i dont mind anyone disrespecing my car...and i really thank him for doing so casue otherwise i cant learn right lol...but yes i agree anyways...i know my car is complete crap haha...but im looking into a 69 camaro ifi can get one...and im def going to askhim what he thinks of what im going to get before i get it...i really respect his opinion

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3371
A straight body and no rust should be your main concern. Chevy 350s aren't hard to find anywhere if the engine doesn't run. Of course I'm sure you want a halfway decent interior so you can drive it before totally completing the car. Out of the big 3 in the musclecar era, the best small blocks IMO were the Ford 289, Chevy 327, and Dodge 318. Can't go wrong with any of them.

GMs older cast iron engines are nice, but lately they've gone down the tube IMO and their engines are getting outdated. They've done about all they can do with a 5.7L pushrod engine. Ford has dispelled the myth that SOHC engines lack low end torque as their new truck engine makes 80% of it's torque at 1,000 rpm and gradually builds and carries that torque over a very wide RPM range. The 5.7L Chevy is pretty peaky in comparison. GMs Duramax diesel engine is a proven piece of crap too, you're better off with a Cummins or a Powerstroke.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 486
well...what kind of cars are those in...and honeslty...i need to get somen i can haul alot of stuff in...what would you suggest as the top 3 things to get. thank you

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3373
327s are everywhere. I personally like the 327s, but I didn't know you planned a lot of hauling with that El Camino either, it's towing abilities won't match a trucks, honestly. 350s are great, too, they'll pull more and they're about as reliable. If you want a truck from the 60s, you can't go wrong with Chevy or Ford, I do like the 69 Chevy trucks out of that era, though. The 80s Chevy and Ford trucks are great too, they were plain out reliable and good haulers, I prefer the carbureted models (it'll be around 83-85 models).

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 491
ok honestly.hauling means moving 4 or 5 10 pounds rock from one place to another..on occasion throwing my go kart up there...thats it...nothing big...lol

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 492
but what has a 327

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3375
Oh, ok. No biggie then. El Caminos themselves had 327s in them (some of them), you could find one with a 327 in it. Camaros used to have 327s, some of the trucks had 327s, most 60s Chevy cars with a V8 usually had a 327 as an option.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 493
jon how about this car right here.... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=174736081&dealer_id=618514&car_year =1984&make=CHEV&distance=300&lang=&max_price=3000&model=ELCAM&end_year=2006&min_ price=1&certified=&address=41094&search_type=used&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp= y&cardist=24

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 27
Hey Sub is that car front or rear wheel drive?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3376
I'd stay away from that one, it's got a 305 in it (crappy engine IMO). Stick with a 350 or 327.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3378
get one from the 60s *nudge, nudge*

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 496
haha thanks jonathon...ill try to find one...but i cant find a site on it...guess im going to have to run to krogers...i think you have piggly wiggleys in georgia lol...and pick up some auto traders lol...thanks

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 544
haha...well jon..i found some stuff i really like from the 60's and 70's...can u give me some opinions..there is like 10 cars haha...if i find one im really interested in and you say it would be a GREAT starter car...ill start working on my mom...thank you..i really appreciate you...your making a huge impact on my life lol

http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-11490221/1979/chevrolet/el-camino/wes t-memphis/ar

http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-11390473/1975/chevrolet/el-camino/wea therford/tx

http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-10733248/1978/chevrolet/camaro/planta tion/fl

http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-11490220/1971/chevrolet/camaro/corint h/ms

any inputs are welcome..or if anyone knows of anything..thanks

Bronze Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 33
That split bumper would be bad a$$ after SEVERAL thousand dollars.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 545
yea polo...thats the one i wanted really bad...its really cheap...and in really bad shape...thats what i want...as long as it still runs ill be happy...i want to be able to restore it almost completely because ill be working on this car from the day i get it until im like 30...if i get an old car...it will be a awesome car...fit to my perfect wants

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 546
oh yea...and um...does that car have a running engine...it says total restoration needed....does that mean there is no engine

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 550
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D4531422241& category=6161

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D4531990323& category=6161

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 551
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D4531503739& category=6161

Bronze Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 34
Subfanatic, the car is sitting like it has a motor in it. It would sit a lot higher in the front if it didn't. The main thing to look for would be rust. Motor work is an easy fix. It probably has a different motor than the factory, maybe not though. No big deal either way. Those links for eBay you are posting is coming back as an input error. Try just posting the Item numbers instead.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 553
no forget the ebay ones...but can i go to a local junk yard and find a car i really like...and will they sell me the whole car as is

Bronze Member
Username: Jakdaxtersgirl

USA

Post Number: 88
What r u talking about? Cars?

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 554
lol...yes we are...people are trying to help me pick out a project car cause i want my life to go into cars..im only 17...basically this is whats going on....this summer im going to II and getting my basic installers certification...next year for my senior year taking my 1st year of auto mechanics...while working at audio works for 5 years while trying to get my master installer certifications...but along with this im going to community college for 2 years...1st year for 2nd year of auto mechanics and 1st year of auto body then 2nd year of auto body my 2nd year there...then ill have a certification on all of that...and i want a car that i can start now and finish when i get out of there and say wow..i did they...and people are helping me pick one out...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3379
I'd go with one of the Camaros out of the sites you listed above. Why not try to find a 69 Camaro? You said that's your dream car, you can find them in a similar price range. If you're going to go, go all out and get what you really want :-) And yes, usually a junkyard will be more than happy to sell a car to you if the price is right.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 562
awesome..well im def looking for a 69 camaro...i just cant find one...lol...id be the happiest person alive haha

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3380
Oh, and as far as El Caminos, the only ones I'd consider would be one of these:
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/chevrolet-elcamino/chevrolet-elcamino-hi story.shtml
The 1966 and 67 are my favorites.

Bronze Member
Username: Sublime420

Ca Us

Post Number: 95
i have an el camino

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 579
do you like it...???...this summer is when im getting a "new" car to work on...after i get back from the installer institute...hopefully some more thigns will open up by then

Bronze Member

Ca Us

Post Number: 96
i love it. it was tuff to fit a sub in there. but it worked out ok. like johnathan said, the back is hella light, so i can burnout for days.

Bronze Member

Ca Us

Post Number: 97
i think the reason i like it so much is because of how unique it is. i hardly ever see el caminos around here.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 633
yea..i really want one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us