MB Quart Discus vs. Alpine Type R...

Username: Bob_falfa

NE

Post Number: 1
Blew the stock door speakers in my 97 Saab. Door speakers are fed by a low-pass amp with cut off at 200 Hz and roughly 20 - 30 watts rms. I would like to install the mid bass from a component system in the doors and hold on to the tweeters and crossovers for a future amp upgrade. Any opinions on the MB Quart 6.5 Discus v. the Alpine Type R? I have checked on price and they are very similar. TIA.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 539
Go with the MB Quart, I think.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 944
yup MB quart over the type R.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3306
Remember this is the MB Quart Discus series, bottom rung of their stuff and not that great IMO. I'd personally take the Type Rs, there are also others in the price range I'd look at.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 956
didnt even notice that. Still I dont think that the Type R compnoents are anything that great. They make great subs with that series but the components are lacking highly. You are very right about there being better components in that price range.

Username: Bob_falfa

NE

Post Number: 2
I listened to both and went with the MB Quarts. They sounded better. I got a better deal on the price as well. Now I just need to replace the stock Saab amp. I am getting distortion at higher boost levels which I think is due to the speakers being UNDERpowered. This thing is gonna sound sweet when I am done!

Tahoeguy54
Unregistered guest
What is a good 6.5 inch component set for a low price? You said there were others you would look at in that price range... I need new speakers for my 2001 Tahoe. I have a Kenwood Excelon kac- x501f amp (75x4 @ 4 ohms) that I can use.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 584
Check out Infinity, the Kappa's are good.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3320
CDT makes excellent components for the price as well, the Resonant Engineering RE series comps are nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us