Best Componant Speakers to match a PPI PCX 2200

Bronze Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 47
I have a PPI PCX 2200 amplifier that i wanna use for a nice componant set up front. It does 200x2 @4ohms stereo,400x2 at 2ohms and 800x1 at 4ohms mono. Whats a good setup guys???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
any advise?

Bronze Member
Username: An_eagalach

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 58
How much do you want to spend?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
around $200 and itll probably be a internet sale to save money.

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 59
Wow. You are going to have the opposite problem from a lot of people who post in here -- in that price range your speakers are going to be way outmatched by your amp. The PCX line of amps are rated at 12.9v, so in practice they're going to be easily capable of putting out even more than 200w. Ideally, speakers and amps should be close as far as continuous wattage. I could think of several options in the $200 neighborhood, if your amp was about half that wattage.

If you can squeeze $300, you might shop on the internet and find Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1, Boston Acoustics Pro 60 or the older Pro 65, CDT CL-62. For the CDT line, EuroSport 630 would be better, but you're not going to touch them for under $450 or so.

Maybe somebody else (Jonathan?) has other speaker suggestions in your price range, or knows if you'd be OK just not setting your amp gain too high to avoid zapping lower wattage-rated speakers.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 826
thats too much power for the boston's. I wouldnt put that much to the infinity's either. Man the reason I havnt answerd you earlier is because I havnt been able to think of a set for you to run thats alot of power. I know you could run the Boston z's but they are mucho dinero. I am gonna look into some for you but they are going to be expensive. you are better off getting a smaller amp. I have the pcx 480 and 4125 and they are great amps you might want to look into them.

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 60
Bingo, James, that's the problem. I checked on the Boston Pro 60, and yeah, they want 125w rms, but the older model 6.5 can supposedly take the 200w. Less would be better even for them though. You can still find 6.5's on the internet for around $330/pair. $200 speakers would be feasible if you had an amp around 80-100 watts. The ever-popular CDT 61A's at thezeb.com are $150, then you could get the CDT supertweeters for $50 for image enhancement, for the desired total of $200.

The other thing is, if he springs for another decent lower-wattage amp -- the PCX 2125 probably runs around $300 -- then he could stick with the PCX 2200 and spend $500 for a pair of speakers to match it. Same difference. As you say, it's all about matching speaker to amp anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1556
MO, go listen to Boston, Infinity, CDT, Focal and select which ever sounds best to your ears.
As for power, use self control and you will be fine. Most good brands will be able to take extra clean power without blowing anyways. It's always the clipping/distortion that actually do the damaging.
Also, by having a stronger amp, you'll be able to reach the speaker's peak before the HU starts to clip. Most HUs will somewhere between 75% - 100% of the volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks guys..I do have a spare amplifier which is the alpine mrp-f240 thats like 4 channels and does 100x2 bridged at 4 ohms...at 14.4 somthing. Tell me if this whould work with with those any of those speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 84
Get the infinity kappa perfects and use your alpine amp it will work perfect and sound great. Did you ever find anything out about that subzone box??

Bronze Member

Annandale, VA US

Post Number: 62
I can't cite any physics to back this up, but bridging an amp carries with it some extra amount of distortion -- whether this is audible or not is the question. Still, that Alpine putting out 100 watts per channel bridged at your alternator's top output... The Kappa Perfects would operate OK, but they would benefit from a little extra headroom.

Take Isaac's advice and go listen to your options. It's all subjective, you are the one who is going to be listening to your car stereo, and when you get right down to it, no amount of informed opinion from other stereo owners and comparisons of specifications and measurements on paper is going to ensure that your ears will be happy. If you hear Bostons, Infinity, CDTs and Focals, you WILL find a pair of speakers that you'll really really like. And in the store, make sure they are driving the speakers you're auditioning with a decent amount of power (at least 100 to 150 watts per channel), or any of these speakers will sound lackluster and you'll think all of us in this forum are way off-base in our recommendations. Pick the speaker that sounds best to you and work backwards from that as far as the amp selection.

Keep us posted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Thanks guys..I will check out those speakers and see which one sounds good to me. Just wasnt to sure about which amp to go with. The alpine is a 25amp fuse and the pcx 2200 is a 80ampfuse. By the way TWIZTID..i emailed JL and they responded and said that its better if a JL Dealer builds the box as oppose to getting that subzone box. Here is what he said. "the box volume is correct but the tuning frequency of 38Hz may be to high. We recommend tuning the box to 32Hz.

At a higher tuned frequency the woofer will not play as low and it can place the woofer in mechanical danger. The only way to protect it in this type of box is to use an amplifier with a Infrasonic filter set at 33Hz.

Regards,

Hector O. Yanez
JL Audio
Area Technical Director
USA Zone 4/Latin America/Caribbean
Phone: (954)443-1100
Fax: (954)443-1108
E-mail: hyanez@jlaudio.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 1570
Whoa did you say 33Hz? What will happen to notes below that frequency? If you have to set it at 33Hz, you will lose out on some rich bass. Anything below 20Hz, you won't be able to hear it, so setting Infrasonic/subsonic to 20Hz or lower makes sense. But at 33Hz? I'd either go with sealed or another sub.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3275
He's just saying that because of safety reasons. Usually with a ported box I set the subsonic filter about 1/2 octave down, in the case of a 32 hz tune I'd set it to around 25hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
So jonathan..If i go ported you think i should have it built and tuned to 25hz. I have 2 12w6v2's with 2 jl 500/1's that have subsonic filter feature. Whats the way to go??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3278
I meant you should have it built to the JL spec of 32hz, and set the infrasonic filter to 25 hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
makes sense now..thanks jonathan..very helpfull

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 86
Yo MO Im not tryin to hijack your thread but i would like to no these answers to.Thanks for the info from jl.And johnathan,isaac,and whoever else where can I get a box built for my sub its a 12w6v2 and there arnt any JL authorized dealers around me.All i got is best buy and circuit city.And no i cant build it myself cuz it would turn out crooked or lopsided or somethin.I would prefer ported,are there any websites that build boxes or anyone on these threads that are legit?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
No problem man. Let us knwo pros.. anyone can build a ported box for 2 jl 12w6v2's and a box for my man Twiztid for his single 12w6v2 ????/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
Whould my pcx 2200 work with the BOSTON ACOUSTICS ProSeries 5.5 System 5.25" COMPONENTS. I found them on ebay..check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5753382983&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT It says they do 200rms each and my pcx 2200 does 200x2 rms at 4ohms. I listen to mostly rap and heavy stuff. I dont want the speakers to kill my ears. I want it loud with no distortion with excellant sound quality. Dont wanna go deaf from piercing sounds. They recommended theses bostons on the ealier post. What do you guys think. my budget is around $300

Bronze Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 93
Hey mo i thought i was the only insomniac on here tonight guess not. Yea those bostons sound like they would work.Ive never had any excpereance with them tho. You had any luck with a box? I havent! I was lookin at those snail shells but they are exspensive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
No i am gonna have a local jl dealer build me a box for them most likely. Yeah im an insomiac like u .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Whould my pcx 2200 work with the BOSTON ACOUSTICS ProSeries 5.5 System 5.25" COMPONENTS. I found them on ebay..check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5753382983&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT It says they do 200rms each and my pcx 2200 does 200x2 rms at 4ohms. I listen to mostly rap and heavy stuff. I dont want the speakers to kill my ears. I want it loud with no distortion with excellant sound quality. Dont wanna go deaf from piercing sounds. They recommended theses bostons on the ealier post. What do you guys think. my budget is around $300

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1014
those are very nice speakers I run them in my truck. They will be just fine with that amount of power.if you listen to alopt of rap I recomend tuning your x-over to 125 not 100. You could go 100 with a steep slope like 18db's or 24 just so those lows dont run through those speakers because you will fry them easilt listening to deep bass at high volumes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
So whast the best way to utilize the crossovers for these speakers. I have a alpine headunit with hpf/lpf. Or are you talking about using the amplifier crossovers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Help me out james.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Help....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
Use the crossovers on the amp. For the component speakers, set it to 80hz - 120hz so that you get mid bass at the front.

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 76
Bridging also adds extra heat to the amp as well. In fact heat and distortion are doubled from the original.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
So i should keep the HPF and LPF off or on flat with the alpine i have and use the amplifier instead right. I guess that doesnt matter anyways

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
anyone know a really good amplifier for the Diamond Audio M651 Componant set. It can take 20-150 RMS. James what do you think? anyone else

Gold Member

Post Number: 1705
MO, weren't you the one that claimed to have PPI PCX 2200? Why do you need another amp for M651?

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Isaac! i do have the ppi pcx 2200 but i figure its 200x2 rms @ 4 ohms is to much for the diamonds to handle. Besides this amp is underated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1711
There is such a thing called "volume" control. Use it and you'll be fine.
I'll tell you why I recommend amps higher in power rating than speakers.
Most HUs will start to distort around 75% - 85%. If you had an amp (125w) that produced full power at 100%, then you'd be feeding distortion along with music.
Now if your amp instead was 200w, at 75%, you'd be driving your speakers to the max without distortion. Trust me, this is how I use my system. I get clean, smooth music.
HUs weren't meant to be maxed out.
If you're not going to use your 2200 amp, send it to me, I'll give it a good home!

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
Ok isaac. If i use my 2200 along with my 2 500/1's for my 2 13w6's whouldnt i need to upgrade my alternator to HO. I found a 150amp at www.mralternator.com. thats the biggest i found for a 97 camry. Whould that be adequate for my electrical system. I also have a batcap 800 stereo battery that is 30% cap and 70% extra battery for my amps in the back. What you think man?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1714
150A is not enough, but like I said, use self control with the volume and you WILL be fine. 150A is still better than 60A - 75A.
You will know when the amps are running out of juice. The minute you see the signs, turn the volume down a bit. That's all.
The only way you can fix the problem is to get 200A - 250A HO alternator.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Im looking for a place to find one that builds a 200 for a 97 toyota camry. help out bro.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Either i find another 2 channel amp that doesnt draw as much current as the 2200 or stick with the 2200 and find a 200 amp alternator. Other wise ill just find another smaller 2 channel amplifier and upgrade to the 150 i found at www.mralternator.com which was there biggest when i checked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us