Help!!! Are my car speakers blown?

Username: Dwells2005

Post Number: 1
I hope someone can help me...
The sound in my car stereo cuts out whenever I turn up the volume, and sometimes doesn't work at all when it is extremely cold out. When it IS working, it will sometimes cut out when I go over a bump. It even seems to be connected to my speed sometimes. It seems worse with a cd than with the radio. Once in a great while I can drive for an hour with music - and I spend way too much time on the road to not have my stereo! Are my speakers blown? Thanks in advance for your help...

Username: Beerman906

Fort Wayne, IN US

Post Number: 2
ur speakers arnt blown, ur connections are all fucked up and if ur volume is going up when you accelerate that is due to ur factory deck if you own a gm that has auto vol

Post Number: 3
Thank you for responding! Good news on the speakers - and the bad news that I will likely need to take it in for service. Or is this something I could attempt to fix myself...? As an added note - Yes, I have SCV (speed controlled volume). I would be THRILLED if the problem was that the volume went UP when I accelerate. That's how it USED to be, and how it's SUPPOSED to be. But alas - NO. The volume cuts out entirely at higher speeds now. How frustrating!

Bronze Member
Username: Nwdmax

Post Number: 12
Put a different head unit in and be done with the factory crap.My wifes 01 Tahoe sounds so much better with a the Alpine we put in. It'll probably solve your problem and give you a good foundation on which to build on in the future.

Post Number: 4
I hate to sound unintelligent, but I guess I know nothing about stereo systems. What's a head unit? Can I install it myself? I can get pretty "mechanical", but I've never dealt with car stereos... Thanks for your input!

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

St. Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 316
heh, A head unit is your CD/cassette player(Where you control everything). You can install them yourself, It's simple if you know what your doing.

Bronze Member
Username: Nwdmax

Post Number: 15
No such thing as a dumb question.Ask your dealer etc about removal tips,wiring harness issues and so on.Lots of knowledge here on this site and others.I know I've learned a ton just reading a small part of whats here.Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us