Subwoofers without amp, good or bad?

eljefe
Unregistered guest
Is running a pair of subs without an amp a good or bad idea. Will anything happen running subs with no amp?

ampless
Unregistered guest
Im no expert..but i dont think u can actually run a sub without an amp connected to it...there just isn't enough juice to properly power the coils..

eljefe
Unregistered guest
So,,, because I just put my 2 12in subs in my truck, and I decided not to install my amp because there will be no room. So is running 2 subs without an amplifer good or bad? Or will anything happen?

eljefe
Unregistered guest
So,,,because I just connected my 2 12in subs in my truck and I decided not to install the amp because it takes up too much room. So is running 2 subs without and amp good or bad? Or can anything happen?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 532
yes it is bad. Subs are meant to be run in a low pass frequency's only. By running them on a full range scale you will fry your voice coils. Not to mention it will sound like doo doo.

Big D
Unregistered guest
Nah man, I run my subs without any amp. Superb sound quality. I just have to buy a new hampster every so often to spin the wheel and CREATE ENERGY.

eljefe
Unregistered guest
Let me see here, so I heard that it is ok to run subs with no amp, but then I have heard that it is bad? Which one is it, and why.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 248
You can't run a sub strictly off of RCAs. You can run one off of one of the channels of an HU (Or bridge the rear two channels, if that's even possible with an HU) Otherwise you need an amp.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1367
You shouldn't run subs off the HU alone cause the power's too low. It's only 20W rms the most. Average subs are 100W rms or higher. You'd have to supply at least 50w rms for 100w subs to sound decent. Now for 300w - 1000w subs, 20w rms is not even enough to meet the minimum power requirements.
Why don't you have space for an amp? If you have enough for sub, then you do have some for an amp. It doesn't always have to be mounted on the back seat nor trunk floor. If it's small enough, you can screw it on the side of the sub box (it should be your last choice).

eljefe
Unregistered guest
Aight coo, so check this out, I have and extended cab toyota, and in the cab I have 2 6x9 hooked up, I took them out and hooked up my 2 12in subs. So no that is not a good idea to do that. The reason I dont want to hook up my amp is because it is way too big, wont fit under the seat and on the box maybe.

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

FL USA

Post Number: 299
Just get a small amp instead. the MTX 311D is a great small Mono amp for a low price.

Bronze Member
Username: Vaio

Post Number: 25
you can run Subs withour an amp but it will not go to the peak power volume max of the Sub if you have a good Sub. But you can this if you cant buy an amp.

eljefe
Unregistered guest
Yeah I just read about that it is not a good idea to run subs without an amp, you could mess them up, so I'm gonna have to hook up my cheap amp to the system. I'm gonna check out that MTX amp. Any one else know a good cheap high powerful amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3154
There are very, very few subwoofers that could hit respectable volume levels when powered off a head unit. Because of this, it makes you want to turn the volume up. When doing that, you'll end up clipping the head unit, risking damage to it and the subwoofer. Just not a good idea.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1383
Some old MTX amps are 1" high and it WILL fit under your car seat. I tested it myself in my car.

eljefe
Unregistered guest
Damn, I'm gonna have to buy that explorer so I can fit my system good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us