2 SUBS OFF 1 AMP<-Need help

Username: Got_db

Post Number: 1
Ok heres the deal i have 1 4 Channel 1000watt MOSFET amp and Two Poineer 800watt MAX 400watt Normal subs which are 400rms each now im able to bridge 1 SUB and get good bass...but when i add the other sub it seem to get no power...same when i bidge both i get no power to 1...and when i connect them non bridge (normally) still only 1 sub works ?? can anyone help me out

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1331
Are you sure both subs work? Maybe you have a dead one. Connect one sub and see if you get sound. If you do, swap it with your 2nd one. If that works fine, then it could be your amp. Test each channel to make sure it works.

Post Number: 2
nah all channels and subs work everything is brand new and ive test everything

Gold Member

Post Number: 1334
Okay then, what brand/model amp do you have? What is your power wire gauge? You haven't by accident, reversed the speaker wires right? Let's say on one of the subs, you have pos and neg reversed, if you now connect it to another sub with correct pos and neg, you will get no bass.

Post Number: 3
What u mean by reversed the speaker wires like as in inside the spear box its self ??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1336
Yes, sometimes that happens. Lets say sub 1 has pos and neg reversed. Sub 2 is fine. They will produce sound as long as they're not bridged together. The minute you do, the sub with pos and neg reversed will produce no sound/bass.

Post Number: 4
ive tried not bridging them and both subs work but 1 produces alot more sound then the other...lack of power from amp i was thinking ??
i was thinking another 1000watt amp and it should sound nice!!!

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 465
it sounds to me like the polarity is reversed go back inside the box and check your wiring. Take your time go over all the wiring from the amp to the sub that doesnt sound the same.

Post Number: 5
Ok well what do u mean check wiring in the box...what sould i be looking for and checking?? also would it make a difference if i got the DB gain (bass) on max could this be a problem that the amp is puching to much out and cant power another sub ?? cus ive checked all the wiring and both subs work...the just dont work toghter someplz help me
:P thnx

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 535
take them out of the box and make sure the wiring from the speaker to the terminal inside the box isnt reversed. Be careful not to spike the speakers when taking out and putting back in with the screw driver it is a common occurance and hear about it all the time.

Post Number: 6
seriouslly i didnt think it matter what way the wires inside the box was....is this becuase i have 2 subs that i need to be checking it becuase i usally wire plus or negitaive not caring if its right or not and even if its not right the sub still seems to work <-[From sub to amp im talking about]

Gold Member

Post Number: 1392
It is very important that you wire anything electronic, properly. Mixing up pos and neg will damage or blow things up. This is why everything comes with pos and neg marking.

Bronze Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 12
Rockford Fosgates sub/amp wiring diagram wizard
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

MTX sub/amp wiring diagrams
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/education/sysDiagrams.cfm

Post Number: 7
ok after looking at lose digrams i still have no idea cus my system is way more basic than that i dont have all the crossovers and stuff....all i have it 4 speakers running off the head unit...and 1 1000watt amp connected to the Deck with RCA's and 1 sub running off that really i should just be able to hook another up to the other channel cus theres 4 channel and i should be all set

Gold Member

Post Number: 1394
What brand of amp do you have? You never mentioned it. Could it be that your amp is having some kind of problem? 4 channel amp is not the best for a sub. They were really ment for powering component speakers, front and rear.
If you have another 2 channel or mono amp, try using that instead.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us