Problem

Username: Sg11789

Post Number: 5
When i installed the JL Audio W7 sub (hooked up to a 1000/1 amp in a lexus rx330) i noticed that everytime the bass hits the lights dim - does this mean i need to buy a capacitator? if i do, what type of capacitator should i get and how much would it cost? are there any benefits to getting a capacitator besides the obvious necessities? thanks again everyone!

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 361
No it means you need a new alternator! You have to remember if you are running your stock alternator which is prob about 100-130 amps thats what your car needs to run. Also Being a lexus I doubt you have manual locks and windows so those use power. That amp you just added will use about 83 amps of your alternators power. That leaves your car with a small % of what it needs to run your electrical system normally.

Username: Dankman

Granger, Indiana United States

Post Number: 8
Get a battery and a Isolator. I went with a Optima Yellow Top that gets charged by a 200 amp isolator and i can sit there for hours and beat.

Post Number: 6
wow your right james! thanks a lot that makes a lot of sense . . . but where would i get one of those and how much would it be? and would it have a positive or negative effect on the sub, or would it pretty much stay the same? thanks for following up james

Post Number: 7
Thanks dankaman . . .whats pricing on that? also someone else suggest that i get a Stinger capacitator . . .any thoughts on that advice?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 362
no I would get a Alternator not a isolator and a battery. That wouldnt be a bad idea to get a good optima bettery after you do the alternator upgrade. I would go with the Optima Yellow top. The only thing a battery and a isolator is going to do is allow you to play your stereo while you car is not running. You dont need a cap either. I am not sure of a good site to send you to for a alternatorfor your car but I know some other people will be able to tell you.

Post Number: 8
thanks for your help james, you seem like u really kno what your talking about so your advice is apprecciated

Silver Member
Username: Rob_brown

Post Number: 113
You can look on mralternator.com, and if he doesn't have it on the site, you can e-mail him your car make and model and he can "build" it to whatever you need. This may be more than the average prices on that site ecause of the custom job.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 369
no problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us