Not happy with JL XR

Anonymous

I recently bought the JL Audio XR and a 300/2 amp from a local dealer and lets just say Ive already blown 3 sets of tweeters these things just shut off. they sound good until I put my cd player to 21 but it goes to 35, 21 isnt that loud. Im thinking of swapping them out for alpine type x or the new MB Quart premium coaxial component set. Do yall know if the alpine of MB Quart tweeters shut down.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3115
It sounds more like you need to work on setting the gain correctly on that amp. DC voltage absolutely kills tweeters. I've run the XRs off that same amp before and had no problems with them. If by "shutting down" you mean the tweeters cut off, the Quarts do that too. Not sure about the Type X's, I'd think they would. It's protection when excessive DC voltage (clipping) goes to the tweeter, and it sounds like that's the problem you're having. From the sound of it, you have an Alpine head unit. You need to set the gain with Media Expander off, the equalizer set near flat, and then work from there. Don't boost an equalizer that much, cut if necessary.

Bronze Member
Username: Aaaavv

Post Number: 20
hey jonathan, how do the jl xr's stack up next to the focals and boston accoustics. im content with my xr 650's but would just like to know how they compare

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3118
Depends on which ones you're talking about, but if you're talking Focal Utopias and Boston Zs, honestly IMO they aren't quite on that level of performance. They are great components for the price though. In the price range I like the Adire Kodas best overall, CDTs falling in second. My overall favorite sets are Dynaudios and Rainbows, both are fantastic for my personal taste.

Anonymous

Yes you are correct I have a alpine headunit. I have the media expander turned off and the trebel is turned all the way up to 7 and the bass is turned to 0. What should I turn the filter frequency to on the amp.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3129
The amp's filter frequency does nothing to the tweeter (unless you're using an active crossover). You need to turn the treble down if you want to protect those tweeters, possibly use the +1.5db setting on the crossover. If you want bright tweeters, you may very well be better served with the MB Quart Q series or the Infinity Perfects.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us