Speakers or HU?

Username: Dvbags

Duluth, GA United States

Post Number: 6
Should I get speakers before I get a head unit or the head unit before the speakers. My car, a 1987 Nissan 300zx, stereo is completely stock.

For speakers I am looking at the Pioneer TS-A1681Rs for my front and side panel speakers. It can be seen here.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wqS5YW3PgLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=130TSA1681

For my head unit I am looking at the Pioneer DEH-P80MP. It can be seen here.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wqS5YW3PgLv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62700&I=130DEHP8 0M

I am open to any suggestions toward any other head units or speakers. I would like to have 4-way speakers though.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 136
I would def get the new head unit first. Most stock hu will have trouble trying to power aftermarket speakers and will sound like @ss

Silver Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 130
...unless you plan to bump up the stock signal with an amp - then you will probably see more of an improvement in the end than with an aftermarket head by itself.

IMO, you should evaluate your stock head unit for sound quality before you decide to keep or lose it. some stockers sound okay, others do not. the way i check is to connect a high-quality set of headphones to the stock speaker wire. if it sounds good compared to a reference source, it may have some potential to remain in the system.

Anonymous

I improved the sound quality of my stock speakers when I upgraded my HU.

Duluth, GA United States

Post Number: 7
I plan on putting an amp and 10" sub in my car later. Not sure which ones. Probably going to stay with Pioneer.

My brother is getting a new hu in his car and is going to give me his. It is a Sony CDX-C4750. Its an old one, like from 1999 or something. Here is a pic of it.
image/bmpUpload
Sony CDX-C4750.bmp (18.1 k)

But I dont think I want to keep this one long. I'll keep it until I get the money for the Pioneer head unit.

Duluth, GA United States

Post Number: 8
I'm not sure which amps or subs to buy. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us