4500 watts rms.......

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 44
one of my buddys is totally redoing his stereo and he will be running 4 mrd m1001's. what size alternator would this require, where can he get one, and how much would it be?..also its going in a 1999 s10 2.2. thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 888
i'd say go with about 4 200 amp alts....its gonna cost a whole heck of alot of money...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3098
About 500 amps worth at full draw, if not more. He'd need a custom alternator bracket and adding another alternator. Two custom would 250-300A would do it. Not cheap and not convenient because you'd need a different belt. They would also bog that 2.2L down a little.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 45
well the bogging down really wont matter cause its not really a "get up and go" type of truck. its bagged with a walk through but he put a wall up for four 15's. last summer he was running 4 15" lightning audio strikes i think. or one of the higher end lightning audio and he was running 1000watts to them and he hit 153.4. this year hes taking the lightning audio out and putting in 4 type r 15's. hes sticking with 15's just so he can use his box cause its a really nice box. hes going to be running 4 mrd m1001 to them..one to each but now hes having a problem about finding an alternator. but jonathan whats the price range of the 2 250-300A?? and how much would it be to buy and use a different belt? thanks for the quick reply.

Silver Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 889
seems to me like 1000 watts to a type R is a little much...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3100
You could call or email mralternator.com or somewhere similar for pricing on the alt, there's no telling saying it would have to be custom built. Again, the bracket would have to be machined, so that's another one that depends a lot on labor rate and material cost. The belt is another thing that's questionable, and you'd have to measure it to see how long it would have to be. I know this isn't a lot of help to you, but I really can't say anything specific for custom parts. My guess would be around $400 per alternator, but you never can tell.

Bronze Member

Syracuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 51
not too much for the 15. its pushing it but what the hell, hes got the money to blow.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us