New PPI Amps??

Anonymous

How are the new PPi amps? I know the older ones are good but hard to find. Here is the link for the amp I was looking at?http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=407&1=408&3=3432

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3087
Nothing like they used to be. Outsourcing production overseas, the old ones were hand made in Arizona. You're better off finding a used Art series amp if you go the PPI route.

Anonymous

Well i need an amp for one set of infinity kappa perfect components and issac said to go with a ppi. Wut are some good amps for them? I need 100-150 watts rms.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 281
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5739062190&ssPageName=MER C_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Stores
that amp will do you wonders.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1227
You can still find good PPI amps. Look for PCX4125, PCX2125, PCX480, 404.2, 600.2 Art series.
I wouldn't touch the new PPI series though.
They look ugly compared to Art series and quality isn't what it used to be. You have to remember, new amps will have similar spec or better, but the parts used to make them aren't as durable. Look at Zapco for example. They use high quailty parts, so it costs much more.

Anonymous

Hey james that link isnt working for some reason could you give me the item number for it or a description of it? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Maniac

Post Number: 12
I think PPI Is starting to be like Pyle,Pyramid,and all those other sorry brands. Theyre just worried on how it looks not how it performs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1241
That may be true, but there's still plenty of old PPI's around to buy.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3092
I wouldn't say it's Pyle and Pyramid-level kind of bad, more like mid-level such as Rockford Fosgate (another great company that went down in quality).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
The good thing so far is that RF and PPI still have plenty of good old amps for people to buy. If you want a real tragedy, look at Orion's HCCA amps. Those are some wicked amps made with quality. I have one and will be getting another before they disappear for good. Even though it's an old amp, it has better features and spec than most amps now. I can't believe a company would stop making a product that good. See what happens when greed takes over?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3095
"See what happens when greed takes over?"
And changes in the market as well. There aren't as many people who are out for super high end sound quality equipment anymore. Now most people just want something that looks good and gets obnoxiously loud. Companies such as Orion (back then I mean), PPI, Zapco, Arc Audio, don't make the money that big mass marketing companies do, so seeing a big wad of cash will big stars to the eyes of the owner of smaller companies(like you said, greed). I wish PPI still did make the Art series, but oh well. I'm thinking about getting a Black art series amp once I start my next project.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1244
Hey Jonathan, you have to listen to Orion HCCA 250G4 amp. It is awesome! I'm comparing it with my home stereo side by side. I can't believe it sounds louder and cleaner than home digital stereo amp. At 4ohms, it's suppose to give 50W rms, but it sounds 2x stronger than 100W rms stereo. The mids and highs are very chrisp. Just makes me wonder why Orion stopped making it.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3096
Haven't heard the HCCAs, have heard the 1st generation SXs and XTRs, but that was a LONG time ago.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1247
If you ever get a chance to buy Orion HCCA 250G4 amp, do it. It's one of the best I've ever tested! Ignore their power ratings. It says 50W rms x2 @ 4ohms, but I swear, it's louder and pounds harder than most 400W amps.
I ordered the last G4 amp today. If you ever buy one and aren't satisfied, I'd gladly take it from you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us