Please give your opinions on this setup . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 41
Hey Everyone!

So I get to my car ('99 Passat) last night at the train station parking lot to find that someone had broken into my car and stole ALL of my stuff!

Anyways, I am claiming on insurance and I have a limit of $1500CAN.

I used to have the following in my car:

- Alpine CDA-9835
- Alpine MRD-M301
- Alpine 10" Type R DVC

This is what I want to replace it with:

- Alpine CDA-9835 (loved this deck!)
- Alpine MRD-M501 (a little bigger)
- Alpine 10" Type X DVC

What do you guys think of this? I am worried that the 550W RMS amp may be underpowering the 1000W RMS sub. Do you think I should have a problem? Will this system sound much better or louder than my old one? With huge 15% Canadian taxes it comes to $1721CAN (including a box for the sub). This is about $1400US.

I appreciate any feedback anyone can offer :-)

Regards,
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 219
The X could use a little more power, 500 should do all right.
Sorry about your system, that sucks man!

Justin N
Unregistered guest
I've recently spent 10 grand on an all alpine system. I have two 12" Type X DVC's and i've noticed that alpine can't keep their specs straight between their retailers, bochures and the actual shipped sub docs. The actual RMS is between 500-1000 with a peak of 3000 for both the 10's and 12's. I bought an MRD-m1001 for each 12 inch though but they are powered fine with one MRD-m1001 running both subs at around 550 watts.

I'd say using the MRD-M501 would be fine, you just won't get the potential of the type x's. I'd almost suggest getting the Type r subs considering the price difference between the type X's and the type R's. In my opinion you wouldn't notice the difference between the type R's and type X's if your not going to power them at the full 1000 watt RMS maximum.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 188
10 g ! whered the rest go? u get some F#1 status stuff?

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 44
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the input :-)

Well, I want the Type X just because insurance is paying for it . . . so why not get the X instead of the R :P

Anyways, I have been searching around ebay, and I think I have secured some contacts to get the gear for cheaper. It's too bad that I live in Canada and have to pay 15% taxes, double shipping fees, customs brokerage fees etc. However, even with all of these additional costs, ebay is much cheaper!

I am now considering the following system:

- Alpine CDA-9835 CD/MP3 headunit
- Alpine SWX-1042D Type X Subwoofer
- Alpine MRD-M1001 100W Amplifier

Now I am just wondering how this would sound in comparison to, say, my old 10" Type R with the MRD-M301 amp . . .

By going through Ebay, I should be able to get a much nicer system than I had before, and it will all be covered under insurance :-)

Thanks!
Bryan

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 45
Hey Justin,

Thanks for the input :-)

Well, I want the Type X just because insurance is paying for it . . . so why not get the X instead of the R :P

Anyways, I have been searching around ebay, and I think I have secured some contacts to get the gear for cheaper. It's too bad that I live in Canada and have to pay 15% taxes, double shipping fees, customs brokerage fees etc. However, even with all of these additional costs, ebay is much cheaper!

I am now considering the following system:

- Alpine CDA-9835 CD/MP3 headunit
- Alpine SWX-1042D Type X Subwoofer
- Alpine MRD-M1001 1000W Amplifier

Now I am just wondering how this would sound in comparison to, say, my old 10" Type R with the MRD-M301 amp . . .

By going through Ebay, I should be able to get a much nicer system than I had before, and it will all be covered under insurance :-)

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 193
oh it will destroy it if course.. make a nice ported box for it or have one made and it should pound pretty good

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 50
Is it necessary to port the box? I thought that porting the box decreases the sound quality? I am sure that 1000W RMS should be plenty loud enough for me in a sealed enclsure . . . plus I save trunk space.

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1219
Go sealed if you don't have much trunk space.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 54
I've got trunk space . . . I just want the best sound quality possible. I am sure that 1000W to a 10" or 12" Type X should be plenty loud enough in a sealed box, shouldn't it?

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
If you have the space, then ported is better for SPL. Sealed is great for SQ and getting max sound from a limited space.
At high volume, ported box will have some distortion from air passing through ported holes.
Opinions are half and half when it comes to box design. I am with the sealed cause of SQ. Lets say you have a ported box tuned to certain frequency. It'll be fine as long as the bass doesn't go below that. When it does, then you'll have SQ problem. Sealed boxes aren't affected by it.
So for loud bass, ported, for best SQ, sealed.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 57
Thanks Isaac,

Sealed it is! When I had my old setup, I just used the ported box that came with my Sony amp, and when it got loud, the sound coming out of the port hole really bugged me. I could only notice it when I was outside my car, looking at the sub with the trunk open, but I am sure that someone with better trained ears could hear it clear as day from within the car.

I am sure that this sub will be plenty loud enough in a sealed box, and I will get the SQ advantage.

Another question:
In terms of volume and SQL, how would the single 12" Type X and MRD-M1001 compare to three 12" Type Rs and the MRD-M1001? I am not sure of the difference between using three subs with 1000W or one sub with 1000W. I know a friend of mine had the three 12" with the 1000W amp in his small pickup truck, and it POUNDED!

Thanks!
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1226
Like everything where there's gravity, 3 12" subs will move more volume of air than 1 12" higher powered sub. The only way to offset that is to use larger sized sub like 18".
Using 3 subs poses new problem. You'll end up with odd ohmage for the amp. Most amps are maximized at 4ohms, 2ohms or 1ohms. 3 Subs will give you a value either one higher or lower than those values.
You either get 2 or 4 subs or get an amp that is .5ohms stable. Orion HCCA are just about the only amp that will survive .5 ohms.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 62

I don't know how my friend had his three type Rs wired up to the MRD-1000, but I do know that it was friggen' loud. If you opened his windows a bit, air was puffing out of his cabin :S

Your answer makes good sense to me.

Will the single 12" still have some good boom though? My old setup was pretty good for me, but nothing that was terribly loud. Can you tell me how much louder (like 1.5x or 2x etc) teh new setup would be in comparison to my old setup?

Thanks!
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1232
If you're only going to get 1 sub, 15" or 18" would be a better choice. I got 18". In a properly tuned box, 12" will put out good SQ. I find 1000W rms on 12" sub is a bit stiff, especially the surrounding rubber/foam. This is why I selected 18".
As for sounding louder, that'll depend on your setup, box, sub, amp etc. From your list, since you're keeping most the same, you should see an improvement, maybe 20% plus.
SQ is a bit harder to judge cause you can go from 50W to 100W and it won't feel like it's 2x louder. Instead, you'll just notice that the notes sound clear and bass pound harder.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 63
I always that that the bass pounding harder means that it is playing louder? :S

Also, given the following two setups A and B (see below), you are saying that I will only notice about a 20% increase in B when compared to A? I thought that with triple the wattage and 2" increase in speaker size I would get more than that :-( But, then again, I am a naieve newbie :P

A: Alpine MRD-M301 and SWR-1042D
B: Alpine MRD-M1001 and SWX-1242D

Thanks! You have been very helpful :-)
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
Oh what I meant was that when you listent high SQ, you could be listening to it 2x louder, but it won't feel like it. In my car for example, I used to have 40W rms for the front. Then I upgraded it to 125W rms, and even though I know it's more than 2x the power, it doesn't feel like it. That's the thing with quality, since it's easier on your ears, you tend to not notice the extra power even though it's there. Am I making any sense?
SQ and amp's power aren't really related. Amp that's distorting might sound louder than an amp with very clean power cause it doesn't bother your ears as much.

Bronze Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 64
OK, I think I understand what you are trying to say :-)

Let me rephrase it then . . .

With my old setup, with the bass turned up all the way, your wouldn't be able to hear the bass from outside my car very much (not that loud). Woudl it make a big difference with the new setup in that regard? That is kind of how I measure oud :P

Regards,
Bryan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1237
If Alpine puts out as stated then you will be heard outside the car too. The only difference with better amp/sub is that you'll be able to enjoy the SQ that you get at low volume at much higher level without your ears bleeding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us