Kicker 600.4 vs Hifonics ZX6400

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 85
Which of these two is a better deal? They are the same price, however the kicker is refurbished and the Hifonics is new with a 1 year warranty from SonicElectronix.

Kicker:
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1331444/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

Hifonics:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_366.html

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1204
I wouldn't buy Hifonics. If you can, try Zapco, Orion, PPI. In fact PPI has one that's PCX4125 that's slightly higher in price but much better than those 2 amps.
If you notice, none of them will list the amp's actual spec. All of them just list power in rms and peak. Where is the SN ratio, Slew rate, and Damping factor?
Zapco, Orion, and PPI will list them. I'd stay away from a brand that hides those numbers.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 86
Isaac, thanks for the feedback. How about the Orion 4004? It's 50x4 @ 4ohms. Will that be enough to power a set of 6.5" Infinity Reference comps and one 12" sub (Type-R or Kappa)?
I remember you telling me a while back to stay away from refurb amps; that's why i'm somewhat skeptical to buy that kicker, even though it's only $190!
Orion is pretty conservative on their amp ratings right? Will 50 "orion watts" be comparable to 85 "Hifonics watts"?

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 87
What's the cheapest you could find the PX4125? I can't find it anywhere for less than $500. Any more suggestions for a decent 4 channel amp around $200 new?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1205
I think the cheapest I found for PCX4125 was $350. You could try another model it's 480 something, and it was going for $200 - $250.
You could get 2 2 channel amps instead of 1 4 channel. This one person was selling used 2 Zapco amps for $220. It was rated at 125w x 2.
Look around for those brands and you will find a good deal.
Oh I purchased PPI 600.2 Art series amp. Some guy is selling the 4 channel version 404.2 model. It was going for $180. Great amp as long as the guy didn't abuse it.

Anonymous

I'm actually wondering the same thing. I currently have the hifonics zx6400 and thinking of swaping it for the orion 4004.
so...
Will 50 "orion watts" be comparable to 85 "Hifonics watts"?

and will there be a difference in sound quality between the two amps?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
50W from Zapco, Orion HCCA, US Amps, PPI may sound louder than 50W from cheap amps cause of better SN Ratio, Slew rate, Damping factor, better power supply, and channel separation. They all add up to better sounding bass and highs. If you compare them side by side using same setup, you will notice a difference.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1223
One more thing, don't expect to hear a sound that's 10x better. That's not how it works. The quality upgrade might be small, but then again, it could be like hearing sound vs hearing clear notes.
I was able to tell the difference. This is why I am not going back to cheap amps for bass and highs. Mids, just about any amp will do.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 93
thanks isaac. so will 50w x 4 (200w bridged) from a quality amp like a diamond, orion, ppi or zapco be enough to power a set of infinity 6000cs comps(90rms) and a 12" sub(300rms)? i'm torn on whether or not this will be enough power. eventually i will upgrade and get another amp to power the sub and bridge the 4channel for my comps, but i just want to make sure that i will have enough power to start off with. i was also thinking of getting an MTX w/ 70x4RMS b/c of the extra power, but i would really like to stick with a really nice brand like a diamond or ppi if it will suffice for now. thanks again for all the advice you've given me over the past few months. you've convinced me to stick with quality over quanity and i know i'll really appreciate it when i finally buy an amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1224
I'd go for 75W - 125W rms 4 channel amp. PPI PCX4125, PCX480, Art series, Orion SX and HCCA models, Zapco C2K series.
Most of them make 85W x4 plus. Haven't seen 50W from them.
People with Orion HCCA 225 amp swear it pounds harder than most amps with 400W rating. I personally haven't used my HCCA for subs. It's too good of an amp for bass. I'm using it to power mids and highs.
You know, you could get 2 channel amp from one of those brands and use it as 3 channel operation. Today on eBay, someone was selling PPI PCX2125 amp for $140. It was rated at 125W x 2 @4ohms, 250w @2ohms, and 500w bridged. That amp in tri-mode would be more than enough to power your speakers.

Bronze Member

Florida

Post Number: 94
"you could get 2 channel amp from one of those brands and use it as 3 channel operation"

i was considering this. however, i really want to be able to have control over my sub (so i can turn it down when pulling in to work, the neighborhood, or a client's house). you had mentioned before about possibly finding one with a remote bass control and i liked that idea. i was messing with my HU(alpine cda-9827) and i noticed that it has a pretty handy way to turn down the sub volume, but i assume that only works when using the subwoofer pre-amp out set. if i use the tri-way feature, i would have no way of controlling the bass from up front, right? dont know if i'm accurate in saying that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
If you want to control bass via remote, 2 channel amp won't do. Some 4 channel amps come with a remote bass control for channels 3 and 4 to power subs. Audiobahn 4125HCT has that feature.
Looks like you will have to get 4 channel amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us