Newbie needs some advice

Username: Birdman420

Post Number: 3
Hi, I'm buying my first aftermarket HU, and I was wondering if anybody could help me decide on which one is better. The units are:

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X979: 380
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X879: 330
Kenwood KDC-MP925: 320
Kenwood KDC-MP922: 340
Clarion DXZ845MC: 275
Pioneer Premier DEH-P8MP: 330
Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP: 265
Pioneer DEH-P80MP: 327
Pioneer DEH-P7700MP: 260

The prices are listed afterwards. I'm not looking for DVD or anything, just good sound quality, the ability to play mp3s, wmas, and maybe even AAC files. Thanks for the input.

Bronze Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 45
Personally I'd go with any of the Kenwoods of those listed above (I'd take Alpine over any of them, but...). Kenwood will give you the ability to choose either XM or Sirius, has good CD sound and tunes in radio stations almost as good as the Pioneers, but will last longer (in my opinion based on previously owning a unit of each)

Post Number: 4
What if satellite radio is not important, and sound quality and value are most important. Also do you know of a comparable alpine that worth chscking out??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Are you planning on amping the system or just running off the HU? If no amp then I'd go with the Alpine 9835. If you plan on using an amp then just about any Alpine that will play mp3's would be a better choice than any of the ones you listed above.

Post Number: 5
That alpine isn't bad, but a little more than i wanted to spend, hey do you or anyone else who'll read this thread know how to relocate a stock stereo that has rds, i've heard that you can do it, I just have no clue. Thanks for all the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I have the 9831 and it's a great HU (I have it amped though)...you could probably get an entry level Alpine that plays MP3's and a small amp to run the front speakers and then run the rears off the HU for the same price as a higher level Alpine.

No sure exactly what the RDS is? (is it a HU that can display radio stations by location or by type?)

Username: Molaq

Waltham, MA USA

Post Number: 8
Go with either alpine or pioneer. If you are looking for something under $250, you will probably get more features for the money with pioneer premier. If you are looking to spend closer to $400, then i might go with alpine.

Post Number: 6
Do you know if any of these hu's support rds ??? I know that a few of the kenwoods do, but my stock stereo has rds, is there anyway that i could relocate it so that I can still recieve messages on my new hu???

Username: Dvbags

Duluth, GA United States

Post Number: 5
I am getting the Pioneer DEH-P80MP or Premier DEH-P8MP. Not sure which. I know they have the same look. And same price.

Username: Nnives

Post Number: 9
I have the KDC-X979 and it is great. I payed 289 for it off of ebay and I am sure you can find the same kind of deal. Mien is brand new and not refurbished. I believe I got it through ABCcarstereo.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us