Hooking up an amp without a deck (head unit)

Username: Drew_hill

Post Number: 1
Ok, I just bought a car and it looks like the radio was stolen because there aren't any wires left to connect to a deck. Nothing. So what about hooking up an amp to my speakers, and then just running an ipod to it via a minijack to rca cable? can I do this? Other than the speaker wires, where would I wire everything else to? I have to try this. It's a 91 civic lx. Please Help!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 231
try it and see what happens. i dont think that you can damage anything. sound quality would depend on the ipod, speakers and amp.

Post Number: 4
Lucas,
thanks for replying. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is what to hook the amp up to. I posted a different message regarding this and got a response to sister the power and remote wires to a toggle and then run them to the positive connection of the battery. I think. Can you think of an alternative or have any ideas about a way to get the amp running or if this solution is not a good idea?

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 236
using an ipod as a signal source you will need to use an am.p the amp should have a fused wire ran from the battery. The wire size depends on the size of the amp. If its a regular 4 channel amp within 500 watts or so then the amp wire can be 8 gauge. To turn the amp on and off with the ignition you will need an accessory wire. An accessory wire is only on when the key is on. an alternative to this would be to run +12v.

let me know which amp you have and i will try to help you some more.

Post Number: 5
I know it 's ancient, but it's an old sony xm-4020 (40x2) 2 channel amp at 4 ohms. Other than my speaker and rca in's, it has remote, +12V and ground connections. Should I really pair the remote and the +12V together to a toggle and then run that to the battery via a fused wire? If this is safe, then I'm ready to roll. Thanks again man.
-drew

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 248
if you do this make sure you get a switch that can handle some power. 20 amp switch should do the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us