Good midbass speaker

Bronze Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 35
I'm thinkin of upgrading my mids-going for more punchy assertive midbass. Something that will move air(not like a sub of course!)and sound great doing it. I was thinking Boston Rally, or a JBL GTO 93. 6.5 for the front doors, and 6x9 in rear deck. anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 121
i have not used them, but i know adire makes a couple of very capable midbass drivers. the koda 6 is one possibilty, the extremis 6 is another. the koda is made for car systems, and has a matching tweeter and crossover available. a nice, easy way to get good low-end punch from up front.

the extremis, on the other hand, might be too much - it is a 6.5" mid that moves air like a sub, and you said you didn't want that (though i'm not sure why). they will take several hundred watts, and should reach down to 35Hz or so in your front doors.

no one has tried the extremis in a car yet, but these are supposed to be some awesome drivers. if you can fit them, i'd think they could blow away anything else out there. having one in each door would be roughly the same as having a single 10" medium-xmax sub mounted in the front of the vehicle.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3059
The Kodas will do a nice job and have excellent sound quality as a midbass driver. Image Dynamics has a 6.5" midbass driver that is great as well. Of course, it all depends on how much you have to spend, you could get more exotic, but for 80 bucks per driver, the Kodas are hard to beat.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
oh...i want massive airflow, i just meant that i know that a 6.5" won't move as much air as a sub..
the kodas seem like what i want. i saw re components on their website they seem tight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
or...maybe the mb quart q series or focal utopias...hmm any more thoughts from users of these components?

Silver Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 122
isn't MB Quart now owned by RF?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
i think rf now owns mb.

Bronze Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.