Daisy Chain amps or run an electronic crossover?

Username: Flight89gts

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 1
Hi. I'm in the process of rewiring my system and I have a question about preamp outputs on amps. I will be running a total of four amplifiers (2 two channel, 1 four channel, and 1 mono) and the 4 channel and mono amps have preamp outs. My head unit has three sets of 4V preamp outs but one is labeled mono for a subwoofer (Sony CDX F7700).

My question now is would it be better to split the signal with y-cables from the head unit, daisy chain the amps using preamp outs (if at all possible), or would it be a better idea to run my system off an electronic crossover(any suggestions on a reasonably priced one?

Also, will I be able to use the mono block preamp outs to hookup one of the 2 channels amps even though its running off the mono preout from the headunit?

Here are the amps and what they will be running:

***2 Alpine MRV-T320 2-channel amps:

One set of Alpine SPX-177A 2 way components. Tweets and 6.5 midbass/midranges will be amped separately.

***4 channel Alpine MRP-F240 (1 set of preamp outs):

1 set of 4" infinity kappa 42.5i in custom kick panels and a set of Polk Momo MMC 650 6.5 coaxials in the rear.

***JL e1200 (1 set of preamp outs):

1 JL 10W0 in a sealed enclosure

Right now I'm leaning towards buying a 3 way electronic crossover unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm not to familiar with any good brands so please give any suggestions on fairly priced ones.

Username: Flight89gts

San Diego, CA

Post Number: 2
While I'm at it, I have two more questions:

1) I am planning on replacing my stock positive battery cables to dress up the install. Does anyone who has already done this have any advice on how to do it as easily as possible (I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GTS)?

2) I have heard that an inline fuse should be no more than 12-16 inches away from the battery. My car's engine bay is pretty cramped so the closest I can get the fuse holder securely mounted is about 24 inches away. Will this be okay or should I find another spot?

I greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us